What NOT to miss in Belize???

pcbcruiser

So... my question to you all out there in cruise critic land....

As many of us have been on several cruises before what would you say would have been the highlight of your trip to Belize. What is the one thing you wouldn't wanted to have missed?

We've been to the Mayan Ruins in Playa del Carmen

We've swam with the sting rays in Cozumel

We've snorkeled off the shores of Freeport, Bahamas

We would consider doing any of these again if you think it would be worth it in Belize.

thanks for all your help fellow cruisers.

We've only been to Belize once, but went on an excursion to Xunantunich, one of the Mayan ruins. It was definitely the highlight of our entire cruise and I would recommend it to anyone. I know you've already visited some ruins in Playa del Carmen, but I would definitely look into Xunantunich as well.

Something that we had a great time doing in Belize was cavetubing. We liked it so much and had such a good experience that we did it a second time when our "extended" family came along and we had to show them.

Now that I have done it twice, I'm good and probably won't do it again.

NOW...the new thing that I would LOVE to do again is Shark Ray Alley. What a great experience. Swimming with the sharks and the rays on somewhat of a sandbar was pretty up there on things to do. (There were also dolphins!!!) However, we booked with the cruiseline (for certain reasons beyond our control this time) and I would never do that again. I would book with a local next time and hopefully I get the chance to do it again. :D

If you want to do another Mayan ruins tour, you might consider the Lamanai Mayan Ruins/New River tour through Lamanai Belize Tours.

My wife, daughter and I went on the Lamanai Mayan Ruins/New River tour on January 22, 2015. We booked with Elio of Lamanai Belize Tours several weeks before our cruise based on positive reviews and experiences. We came to Belize City on Royal Caribbean's Vision of the Sea, which had to tender 4 miles off shore.

After a hectic tender process of getting to shore, Elio's driver Julian met us just as agreed outside terminal one with a sign with our name greeting us. Julian was very friendly and professional and said that we can stop the worrying and let him take care of us from here. We took a short walk to his air conditioned van where he assured us that he would have us back to the port well in time to make our last tender.

We went through Belize City and Julian was constantly giving us information about Belize and its people and culture. He was very informative. It's nice to let someone else do the driving who knows their way around, because there are some crazy drivers and scooter drivers in Belize.

The ride to the river was about 45 minutes. Upon arrival we met with Elio and another of his young helpers. Before boarding the power boat for our trip up river to Lamanai, we were able to use the restrooms and were offered bottled water for the boat trip.

As most have said, the boat ride is an excursion in itself. The day was very hot and sunny as we made our way up river winding through narrow channels and then open water with the warm wind blowing through your hair. Our boat did have a canopy on it to protect you from the sun.There is much beauty along the way, such as flora and birds. You may encounter some fisherman and will also pass a Mennonite village along the river bank.

Once we made our way to Lamanai, we stopped at the nice bathrooms. They also have souveniers for sale. Elio then led us on a hike through part of the jungle to the ruins and explained each site and the different trees and flora. We were practically by ourselves as we were ahead of the large cruise ship excursion groups that would follow.

The ruins were beautiful and we were able to climb the big temple and take pictures from high atop. They were also howler monkeys in the trees nearby. Elio also offered to take several pictures of us.

Due to time constraints of getting back to the ship, we had to depart and board the power boat for the trip back to Elio's dock. Once again, the boat ride back was a thrill all of its own and something to remember. Once back to Elio's dock, we were seated at a picnic table and treated to an awesome Belizian lunch consisting of spicy chicken, rice, beans, spicy slaw and hot sauce and bottles of Coke made with 100 % sugar cane, not the junk we get in the USA.

Again, pictures were taken and we paid Elio's father and thanked each of them for a great time and experience. Then we boarded the air conditioned van and Julian drove us back to the port terminal with about 30 minutes before our last tender.

This is outfit is locally run by Elio and his family. The live in Belize and know and understand the Belizian and Mayan culture.They are true professionals and take care of every detail to enhance your experience and to make certain you are back to port to make your tender.

If you want a locally run company, who is professional, timely and provides exactly what they tell you, then please skip the large cruise ship tours with 30, 40 or more people and book with Elio and his family at Lamanai Belize Tours. You will not be disappointed, we weren't.

RACER70 wE ARE doing vision of the seas too. We have never been on this ship. Can you give us tips about the ship and did you eat in the main dining room. Are there any restaurants open at night if you want a snack or coffee?

Any info re tours you would recommend. We were going to do a private tour in Belize but people told us the tender takes 45minutes each way. Unfortuanately, we aren't beach people and can't walk steep hills or steps. We saw Belize twin city tour with RCCL but they don't have it available for us.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

We were going to do a private tour in Belize but people told us the tender takes 45minutes each way.

It does not take 45 minutes each way to tender. 20-30 minutes tops depending on the location of the ship, how fast the boat goes and the boat driver. ;) But definitely not 45 minutes. :eek:

• 2 weeks later...
Something that we had a great time doing in Belize was cavetubing. We liked it so much and had such a good experience that we did it a second time when our "extended" family came along and we had to show them.

Now that I have done it twice, I'm good and probably won't do it again.

NOW...the new thing that I would LOVE to do again is Shark Ray Alley. What a great experience. Swimming with the sharks and the rays on somewhat of a sandbar was pretty up there on things to do. (There were also dolphins!!!) However, we booked with the cruiseline (for certain reasons beyond our control this time) and I would never do that again. I would book with a local next time and hopefully I get the chance to do it again. :D

First I love reading your reviews! So entertaining! We are interested in doing this excursion, why wouldn't you book with the cruise line? Also my daughter is nervous about the Sharks!!

First I love reading your reviews! So entertaining! We are interested in doing this excursion, why wouldn't you book with the cruise line? Also my daughter is nervous about the Sharks!!

I felt that we would get a better experience if we had booked with a private vendor. Booking with a private vendor means less people on the excursion and more 1 on 1 interaction. We have had so many good experiences with private vendors and know that they really work hard to make your day a perfect one giving so much attention to each person and making sure that everyone has a great time. Their reputation depends on it. With the cruise line, they are just there to do a job and get paid no matter what and will always get more business because they have a contract with the cruise ships. The vendors, they are competing for your business and want you to come back and recommend them.

Prior to going, I read up on the various independent companies and when we were there, I watched 1 particular company and their interactions with their customers. It was way different. Everyone got to touch or hold the sharks. The vendor stayed with their people and made sure they had an awesome time. I feel like we were just turned loose on our own and they didn't care if we got to touch or hold the sharks. We did not get the experience I had hoped and planned for.

We hardly ever book with the cruise line for this reason but this time we were with some friends that wouldn't go unless we booked with the cruise line (some newer cruisers) and we agreed. Which was fine with us, we just won't do it again. :)

RACER70 wE ARE doing vision of the seas too. We have never been on this ship. Can you give us tips about the ship and did you eat in the main dining room. Are there any restaurants open at night if you want a snack or coffee?

Any info re tours you would recommend. We were going to do a private tour in Belize but people told us the tender takes 45minutes each way. Unfortuanately, we aren't beach people and can't walk steep hills or steps. We saw Belize twin city tour with RCCL but they don't have it available for us.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

The Vision of the Seas is a nice ship that was built in 1998 or so and has since been updated. Of course, there are now much bigger ships and grander ships in the RC fleet. However, we enjoyed our time on board this ship and enjoyed the whole Western Caribbean cruise in Jan. 2015 which took us to Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Costa Maya & Belize City before heading back to Tampa.

We signed up for "My Time Dining" option and ate dinner each night in the Main Dining room. The service and the food choices were excellent. The wait staff will treat you like royalty and make sure your every need is met.

As far as late night dining, you can always order room service or get something to eat or drink at the Park Café, which is open later.

As far as shore excursions in Belize City go, we did the Lamani Ruins/New River tour from local vendors which was great and took about 5 hours or so. However, there are many types of tours to take that the ship may offer or that will be offered to you once you arrive in port at Belize City.

The tender process in Belize or any tender port can be a bit hectic with everyone wanting to get off the ship as soon as possible, so be sure to get a tender ticket #1 if possible.

In Belize, you will tender 4 miles off shore, which is very far compared to most tender ports and it will take you about 15-20 minutes to reach the port/dock after leaving the Vision of the Seas.

No matter what you choose to do, it will be fun as Belize City and the general area are nice and the people are very friendly. Enjoy!

When I had done the research I was looking into doing Caveman. I know that was the person that was there close to us and I kept seeing everywhere when we were there and watched his interaction with the customers. But since we didn't go with him, of course I can't recommend him from any experiences. I just know that's who I had thought about going with. :) I believe he gets 5 stars on TA as well with a lot of good reviews.

Racer70: Thanks for the info. We have been going on the larger ships (Quantum, allure, Oasis) so the Vision will be different for us but we are looking forward to it We are doing My Time dining. we are doing the same itinerary in March. Any tips about the ship, shows, do you do any specialty restaurants? If so, which did you prefer. We never had to get tickets for the tender, we just showed up. Is the VOS giving tickets and when do you get them. Thanks for any info.

In Belize do the vendors take US money.

Take care. Iris

We don't visit ruins, or go cave tubing so for us it is snorkeling. The reef in the area is very nice, in fact the ship threads its way through it to the anchor point.

Any snorkel excursion will get you to a good spot. The reef is nice, but not as nice as the reef in Roatan, because it is deeper and the water is often cloudy because of kicked up sand.

When I had done the research I was looking into doing Caveman. I know that was the person that was there close to us and I kept seeing everywhere when we were there and watched his interaction with the customers. But since we didn't go with him, of course I can't recommend him from any experiences. I just know that's who I had thought about going with. :) I believe he gets 5 stars on TA as well with a lot of good reviews.

Mitsugirly we booked with Caveman last June and it was the highlight of our trip! He went out of his way to make our day special. It was just him, my husband, and me. I can't say enough complimentary things about him --- you won't be disappointed!

Mitsugirly we booked with Caveman last June and it was the highlight of our trip! He went out of his way to make our day special. It was just him, my husband, and me. I can't say enough complimentary things about him --- you won't be disappointed!

Mitsugirly is not going. Mitsugirly already been. :p

apmecruise was asking for a vendor. :D

Racer70: Thanks for the info. We have been going on the larger ships (Quantum, allure, Oasis) so the Vision will be different for us but we are looking forward to it We are doing My Time dining. we are doing the same itinerary in March. Any tips about the ship, shows, do you do any specialty restaurants? If so, which did you prefer. We never had to get tickets for the tender, we just showed up. Is the VOS giving tickets and when do you get them. Thanks for any info.

In Belize do the vendors take US money.

Take care. Iris

In order not to hijack this thread with ship questions I suggest you go to the RCI forum and ask all your ship questions there.

After all the people with tender tickets have boarded the first tenders, then there is open boarding with no tickets required. The ship newsletter will tell where and when to get tender tickets if you want to be on one of the first few tenders.

Belize uses their own tenders, not the ship's, and holds more people..

• 2 weeks later...

We are trying to book with him and are very excited. Can you tell me, was it difficult getting and out of the boat for snorkeling?

Coincidentally I was at Hol Chan today and then read this thread about Caveman. I had never heard of this operator before. Following that I read another internet board (think largest island in Belize dot com) and if you go to the travel section, you will find a video that someone posted about staying in Caye Caulker and snorkeling Hol Chan and Shark Ray with Caveman. Included in that video is them also snorkeling in mangroves, and sea horses, which I doubt would be included in a snorkel trip that is limited by cruise time limits, so do not think that would also be included. BUT for those who wonder about the boat and what you will see, here is a great 5 minute Go-Pro video of snorkeling with Caveman.