Favorite Alaskan excursion

Caddy928

My favorite tour was a whale watching tour out of Juneau. It was worth the whole trip.

I was in Alaska 15-20 years ago on the Celebrity Galaxy. I took the whale watching tour offered by the ship.

I'm returning this summer on the HAL Noordam. I've already booked the whale watching trip.

Have fun!

Vicki

Going in July. Stops inc Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway. Lots of neat tours avail. So help... What was your favorite?

For me...

• Skagway... Yukon, White pass, Liarsville, Red Onion.... too many to choose in my fav port
  • Juneau.... Mendenhall nugget falls trail
  • Ketchikan.... not the rain

For first timers....

• you can sign up for "Best of... " which combines the highlights
  • you can choose marine, flying, or adventure experiences for more fun

Don't forget about spending planning for extra time in your departure port. There's fun there too!

Going in July. Stops inc Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway. Lots of neat tours avail. So help... What was your favorite?

Ketchikan: Crab Fishing on the Aleutian Ballad ("Deadliest Catch" TV series) with a stop at an island eagle preserve to toss fish to a huge numb er of eagles. The crew is experienced in fishing out of Dutch Harbor as well as being on the TV series. The non-stop stories are amazing but the photograph of the swooping eagles is non-stop incredible.

p5161818.jpg?i=1227795071

P7170103.jpg?i=1793566215

Juneau: Whale watching with short hike to Mendenhall Glacier.

p5191930.jpg?i=1360858280

Skagway: Train ride and bus tour to Caribou Crossing.

p9200565.jpg?i=1296665069

I'm always in the "air" in Alaska, as flights are "necessary" for some areas, and there is nothing that shows the beauty and vastness of Alaska than from above.

I fly several times every trip, my preference.

Especially Katmai and Deadhorse were highlights as well (along with the flights).

I could be considered in a rut, as I repeat a lot of my tours and always greatly enjoy them. I went whale watching 7 times last year, traveled the Klondike Highway to Carcross 6 times, rode the White Pass RR twice, flew Misty Fiords 5 times, Kenai Fjords boat tours, 4 times, Prince William Sound boat tours 3 times. etc etc etc a short list

I will speculate this list will be vast with raves. :)

I will mention - to be true to yourself. :) Find your own way with tours, don't make selections, just because others claim it is a must. It may not be for you. There are hundreds of excellent tours to consider. Don't miss something that may be your interest.

For us it was renting a car in Skagway and driving into the Yukon to Emerald Lake. Just the idea of getting out into the Yukon on our own, at our own pace, stopping when we wanted to admire where we are and just to smell the roses as they say.

we saw bears and eagles along the way and just had a ball.

Cheers

Len

Ketchikan.....Island Wings Floatplane:D.....it has been several years

since I was there (2009:eek:).....but I am going in May:) and cannot

wait! One of the best excursions I have ever done:)

Thanks for posting this question, we will be going in June our first time. The choices are so many and. I get confused LOL. I think we have decided to rent a car in Skagway and drive to Emerald Lake. Going on Harv & Marvs whale tour in Juneau. Now to plan for Ketchican!!!