Shopping in Seattle

LuvtheBeach10

We are going on the Alaskan cruise in July. We will be flying out of Dallas and to save room in our suitcases and not have to lag heavy coats around, my question is if we can buy coats in Seattle the night before our departure? We have already waited too late to really find anything we like here anyway but I didn't know if coats were a year round commodity or not there.

We are going on the Alaskan cruise in July. We will be flying out of Dallas and to save room in our suitcases and not have to lag heavy coats around, my question is if we can buy coats in Seattle the night before our departure? We have already waited too late to really find anything we like here anyway but I didn't know if coats were a year round commodity or not there.

Where are you staying?

Ok, thank you. I just didn't want to assume I could buy a coat there in the middle of the summer and be surprised. In East Texas we really haven't needed an all weather coat in so many years we didn't plan ahead very well! Thank you again for the quick response.:)

Ok, thank you. I just didn't want to assume I could buy a coat there in the middle of the summer and be surprised. In East Texas we really haven't needed an all weather coat in so many years we didn't plan ahead very well! Thank you again for the quick response.:)

Hopefully a local will chime in here, you are right could be an issue for the time of year.

You don't really need a super warm coat. The only time you would probably need it is when you are cruising through the glaciers. The rest of the time you would be better off with some kind of rain coat/jacket. The last few times we've been to Juneau and Skagway it was warm. Ketchikan is usually rainy but not necessarily cold. If you layer your clothes you will be fine.

From the Crown Plaza its an easy walk to Macy's, Nordstrom, Nordstrom Rack, Eddie Bauer, and others. For REI, you'll probably need to catch a cab, but it's not far. Lots of shopping available in downtown Seattle.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

You don't really need a super warm coat. The only time you would probably need it is when you are cruising through the glaciers. The rest of the time you would be better off with some kind of rain coat/jacket. The last few times we've been to Juneau and Skagway it was warm. Ketchikan is usually rainy but not necessarily cold. If you layer your clothes you will be fine.

Sweatshirts/gloves/hats would be good.

Or, if you want a more outdoorsy type coat the REI that is in the downtown area is great. Huge store with a huge selection. You won't find winter coats in July but a much larger selection than Dallas. You will find a lot of rain gear.

Thank you, I had read on an earlier post where one of the stops on our itinerary would have jackets but our first port is in Juneau and we are doing a glacier tour so I am assuming we will need all weather coats?

Thank you, I had read on an earlier post where one of the stops on our itinerary would have jackets but our first port is in Juneau and we are doing a glacier tour so I am assuming we will need all weather coats?

We have sailed to Alaska 8 times.....

Correct, you never know with Alaska, the weather can change in minutes.

As stated the key is layers. We have had snow in late July and 75 in June with sunburn, its like Colorado you just don't know.

And depending upon the weather and your body temperature and comfort level you may not need any heavy clothes. I've done Alaska 3 times in June and July and had shorts on every day. We did a whale watching trip and also went to Mendenhall glacier in Juneau as well as the train in Skagway. I did put on a very light windbreaker for those trips but the rest of the time I was comfortable with just a tee shirt. All a matter of how your body reacts to the weather. And as most will note the weather can vary dramatically in Alaska. Not everyone will be bundled up.

OP your best bet if you want to get a heavy coat is to go to REI like someone else posted. The retail stores here are like any where else no winter clothes in the summer.

I would also suggest wearing layers too. I sailed to Alaska a couple of years ago and froze with only a lightweight jacket and sweatshirt. BUT I am cold all of the time:)

Enjoy your cruise.

You should not need a heavy coat, particularly in July. You need a waterproof rain jacket and layers. Don't spend a lot of money on something you will never use again.

I agree with Sherry. A heavy coat will be a burden during the height of the summer in Alaska.

Mike:)

I have to agree with layers. I've only been to Alaska once but the weather when we went in August was like the spring here in the PNW - rain, about 50* and light breeze. A fleece jacket under a waterproof rain jacket is probably all you'll need. I recommend a rain jacket with an interior liner so you have an extra buffer between the fleece and the outer jacket. A hat could be useful, if you normally wear one. I took way too many sweaters - around the ship I usually just wore a cardigan and off the ship I wore my fleece and rain jacket. In Ketchikan I wore the cardigan and the rain jacket because it was 64* that day.

Don't bring an umbrella. You'll hate yourself for it, unless you're like me and bring it ward off bad weather.

We purchased lightweight Down jacket from Costco , $39.00. It weighs nothing a few ounces, and rolls up in a little bag that comes with jacket.

Still for sale now in San Diego so I would think Texas Costco would have it too. JC Penneys has them too.

Another alternative is first port in Alaska buy a jacket. Most for woman about $20.00. Get a larger size so you can put a sweatshirt under it if really cold. Have been to Alaska the last three years and sometimes

no jackets required except in Glacier Bay cruising.

On the cruise ship they sell warm jackets too. My husband bought one that he takes everywhere. They will definitly have them for Alaska cruises.Reazonably priced. Don't waste time looking for jackets in Seattle.

Edited by san diego sue

You said your first stop was Juneau. You will probably dock at the S. Franklin St. Dock. There is a store at the dock that will have a selection of coats for sale. I use layering with a long sleeve shirt, sweater or sweatshirt, fleece vest and waterproof windbreaker. In Alaskan ports I will typically need to take off one or two layers throughout the day. Weather varies from cruise to cruise but it is not that cold in July.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by IECalCruiser

Another option, so you can just enjoy Seattle and not worry about shopping, is to take advantage of clearance sales on line. Right now, merchants like REI, Eddie Bauer, Columbia and Back Country are having good sales on fleece garments, rain gear and even lightweight packable down. You'll probably have a wide selection if you shop several sites and plenty of time to exchange/return if needed.

Which glacier tour are you doing exactly? If it is not A helicopter tour of the glacier and just the Mendenhall visitor center sightseeing one, you won't need a heavy coat. There is a Carhartt store very near Pike Place Market and we were there this summer and they had all the winter stuff on clearance. We racked up! There is also a Ross Dress for Less and a target right downtown.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Forums mobile app