Jim & Kat on Navigator: our 1st cruise --commentary & thoughts

OctoberKat

lincslady, You are correct, we did not include the flights. TBH I have not sailed on Seabourn so I can't make a comparison, but 300 lbs per day seems low to me even without the excursions. $450 v $1000 ??

Probably should not continue this bit of discussion here, as it is off topic, but just to say that the big difference in cost, on Seabourn and I think the other lines, is the grade of suite you choose. An example - the current price, all inclusive except air and excursions, on a 10 day Seabourn med. cruise in July is £4,000 in a window suite or a guaranteed verandah, up to £9,000 in an Owner's suite, which are still less expensive than the Wintergarden or Signature suites! These prices will probably actually be less eventually, but you can see the huge difference, for the same cruise. As we have something of a budget, we can manage 2 or 3 trips per year, of at least 12 days, if we choose less expensive suites.

Jim and I thought the Navigator master suite was just fine and were glad we popped for it. Our reservations of Regent have naught to do with our suite which was a haven (other than the too-small veranda).

You may recall that when you first asked about a master suite on the Navigator that I suggested avoiding deck 10 because those suites were under the bridge. That was the reason we disliked the suite -- having the captain and other officers walking with their heavy shoes 24/7. It was so annoying that it was difficult to appreciate the suite.

While we have not sailed on Seabourn or Azamara, based on reviews and the fact that Seabourn is a luxury cruise line while Azamara is a premium cruise line, it sounds like a good decision.

OctoberKat made a smart move on that one. I was concerned about her AZ cruise and quite certain she would be disappointed.

I think it was the correct decision, too, portofinoitaly, thanks for your concern. Only 17 months to go!

Upon reflection taking into account our recent experiences aboard Navigator together with our expectations and preferences, I don't think it likely we would sail this vessel again. It would have to be an extraordinary itinerary at a super attractive fare.

I think it was the correct decision, too, portofinoitaly, thanks for your concern. Only 17 months to go!

Upon reflection taking into account our recent experiences aboard Navigator together with our expectations and preferences, I don't think it likely we would sail this vessel again. It would have to be an extraordinary itinerary at a super attractive fare.

I totally agree with that, OctoberKat -- we feel exactly the same way!

We would not sail on the Navigator again either...... however, I have posted this many times. Well, maybe would not say "never" but she is far from our favorite ship. As I have also posted, the Navigator has the least expensive fare and, IMO, is a decent introduction to luxury cruising which is probably why she is so popular. The cost of a Master Suite on a typical Caribbean cruise is less than on just about any luxury cruise line. However, it must be said that you get what you pay for.

On the other hand, there are many cruisers that will only sail on the Navigator. Different strokes...................... Even though the Silver Whisper is our favorite ship, I cannot honestly state that the food or service is better than Regent. The passengers on the Whisper are quite different since the majority of passengers on Silversea are non-Americans (not all the time -- just many times) while many passengers on the Navigator are "newbies". Silversea has many "formal" or "informal" (jackets required) nights. This is very different than on Regent.

The bottom line for us is that we would sail Silversea or Oceania rather than sailing on the Navigator. But, we would sail on the Voyager or Mariner over Silversea or Oceania (depending, of course, upon itinerary). Our Silversea cruises have been based on itinerary.

Gerry, while I try to understand where you are coming from, it is difficult for me to choose Oceania over Regent in most cases. You once mentioned that it is not easy to get the quality of beef where you live as is available on Regent (please forgive me if I am misstating this). Based on that comment, it seems that what you find to be excellent, we find good. Sometime, when we hopefully meet on some ship..... somewhere..... I can give you further insight into my statements regarding Regent and Oceania in terms of food.

...You once mentioned that it is not easy to get the quality of beef where you live as is available on Regent (please forgive me if I am misstating this). Based on that comment, it seems that what you find to be excellent, we find good...

Interesting. This mimics some experiences I've had on Seabourn (and Regent with P7) where the European travelers flocked to R2 for the Steakhouse theme as they felt the beef was of superior quality to what they could get at home (or was it what they were willing to pay at home - I never delved). Yet to me the beef on Seabourn, Regent and Oceania was just ok.

Interesting. This mimics some experiences I've had on Seabourn (and Regent with P7) where the European travelers flocked to R2 for the Steakhouse theme as they felt the beef was of superior quality to what they could get at home (or was it what they were willing to pay at home - I never delved). Yet to me the beef on Seabourn, Regent and Oceania was just ok.

It is so refreshing to agree with you:D

I had an absolutely outstanding rib-eye at Prime 7 on the Voyager last summer. I'm a steak aficionado, and this was one of the best pieces of meat I've ever had. Maybe only rivaled by Wagyu beef from Wolfgang Puck's steakhouse in Vegas.

I'm only sorry we ate there just once. We waited to eat at P7 until the end of the cruise, due to some things I read here. So as always, take what you read here with a healthy dose of salt. And that includes this post!

A few years ago we sailed Navigator from Cape Town to FLL - and loved every of the 35 days! The standard suites are larger than Mariner's but same as Voyager's.

BTW: Some times the beef was too dry but other times good. I'm reluctant to order rare, now always specify medium rare, still some dry! Filet is my favorite or chateaubriand etc.

More often now I have veggies or spicy curries! (I want to hit a century!)

I loved the curries, TedC.

My experience of the food was that too much effort went into trying to make it fancy when I'd have appreciated less fancy and better prepared, better tasting. It's difficult to cook for 500 people, why make it harder?!

But I expect the fancy food focus is driven by the ostensible luxury aspirations of the Regent line.

Edited by OctoberKat

We can get excellent beef IF we go to France and bring it back. Which we do from time to time - it is only a 45min drive to Chamonix and there is a butcher there with Charolais which is superb. Swiss cows spend so much time on two hoofs (hooves?) because of the terrain that their meat is tough. And this is only partly a joke!

So yes - that could be a factor which leads us to enjoy Prime 7 and Polo... But that isn't all of it. We are used to food being very well presented here in Switzerland. really attractive plates of it. And we just find that the quality and presentation on Oceania was nicer/better/more attractive across the board. That said we have had some excellent meals on Regent too. Once I get on board the Riviera I will let you know what my current thinking about the food on Oceania is and also how I found the meat at Polo which is for us dinner on the first night and the last night...

One aspect I appreciated whilst dining on Navigator, was the small portions. We are't accustomed to three full meals a day so the small portions were comfortable and seemly. We never asked for seconds although they offered. Well, OK, except for ice cream on the pool deck where sometimes had, gasp, thirdsies!

Edited by OctoberKat

We adored being at sea. We spent hours watching the ocean rush by whilst the horizon remained static. The wind, the air, the fragrance of the sea, all intoxicating. Exhilarating and relaxing at one and the same time.

This works very well for us. So three more voyages booked and a third wanting to be if we can find the itinerary war want from San Francisco to Valparaiso (or the reverse).

Not dying to do an Alaskan cruise but may do so because we can go out of and back into SF which makes it dead easy.

We adored being at sea. We spent hours watching the ocean rush by whilst the horizon remained static. The wind, the air, the fragrance of the sea, all intoxicating. Exhilarating and relaxing at one and the same time.

This works very well for us. So three more voyages booked and a third wanting to be if we can find the itinerary war want from San Francisco to Valparaiso (or the reverse).

Not dying to do an Alaskan cruise but may do so because we can go out of and back into SF which makes it dead easy.

DO the Alaskan cruise. I have never seen scenery like that anywhere in the world (and I live IN the alps...) It is majestic. And seen from the water totally awe-inspiring. I think Regent is sending Mariner back to Alaska - we went to Alaska on Mariner on our first Regent cruise (Radisson at the time). We were on the ship when she hit a "growler" and the cruise turned out to be longer than planned. But even with that in mind I would do it again!

We are cruising this May on O (Regatta) from San Francisco to Alaska and really excited about it. A friend of mine had some fabulous photos from his Alaska cruise, and after seeing the beauty, we realized it is something not to be missed.

DO the Alaskan cruise. I have never seen scenery like that anywhere in the world (and I live IN the alps...) It is majestic. And seen from the water totally awe-inspiring. I think Regent is sending Mariner back to Alaska - we went to Alaska on Mariner on our first Regent cruise (Radisson at the time). We were on the ship when she hit a "growler" and the cruise turned out to be longer than planned. But even with that in mind I would do it again!

Antarctica is much better than Alaska. In Alaska I was underwhelmed!

Comparing Alaska to Antarctica is a little like comparing australia to new zealand. In the latter the sights are thrown up by the side of the road or the ship, in the former you need to explore a little more, but all are incredible places. We love both Alaska and Antartica. Nothing like eating your just picked blueberries, while observing wonderful wild life of all types, fishing, watching the grizzlies, or simply enjoying the miles and miles of miles and miles in Alaska, to say nothing of glaciers, fiords, and wonderful people. Antarctica is also wonderful but different. Penguins, the black and white landscape (with a little pink in the penguin colonies) the ice, the whales and leopard seals are great and the setting and the feeling of isolation can't be beat. the comparison is why travel is so exotic. I have never not found something new or fascinating.

The bottom line for us is that we would sail Silversea or Oceania rather than sailing on the Navigator. But, we would sail on the Voyager or Mariner over Silversea or Oceania (depending, of course, upon itinerary).

Travelcat, I'm curious why Seabourn never seems to enter your comparisons or thoughts for future cruising. (We're doing our first Seabourn cruise this summer, after cruising exclusively on Regent/Radisson since we began cruising.) In that you're a fan of luxury and all-inclusive but NOT included tours, it would seem -- on paper, at least -- that Seabourn would be a good fit. Similar size (but newer) ships, similar open dining, similar dress code (except a sport jacket or suit for men may be needed once a week), similar all-inclusive policies (except for no included tours)... Since I've been reading the Seabourn board for the past six months, I've been struck by how incredibly positive the reviews and comments of Seabourn regulars are -- there seem to be fewer complaints, bad experiences, and just up-and-down comments than I've seen reading the Regent board for many years. We're looking forward to seeing how we like Seabourn compared to our generally positive experiences on Regent, and I was just curious reading your posts in this thread why Seabourn appears off your radar, for yourself or mentioning to others?

EDITING TO ADD: I just saw your comment on another thread about Seabourn allowing smoking on the patios. Got it. Although since you seem to typically book a penthouse suite on Regent, could you not book one of the penthouse suites at the front of the ship so you would be unaware of any nearby smoker whenever the ship is moving (e.g. no suite in front of you for smoke to blow back at you)? Neither my wife nor I are fans of smoke, but based on reading lots people say it didn't adversely affect their trip, we decided to give Seabourn a try.

Eric

Edited by cruiseej