Verandah vs. Vista Suite

Vict0riann

My DH asked me a question at breakfast today that I couldn't answer (coffee hadn't kicked in:)). I still am not quite sure of the differences. On Maasdam we were in a Vista Suite, which was, as far as I can tell, just a verandah stateroom (283 sq.ft.), but had added amenities: stationery, a loaner umbrella, a small vase of flowers, and the biggie - double days! On our next cruise on the Westerdam we will be in a similar sized stateroom (212-359 sq. ft. it says), no umbrella, stationery or flowers, I guess, and no double days. I think we're paying about the same amount per day for the rooms. Why would one ship call the room a Vista Suite and the other just a Verandah stateroom? Not that I'm complaining about getting 84 days for a 42-day cruise! But you'd think the rooms would be on a par.

Why would one ship call the room a Vista Suite and the other just a Verandah stateroom? Not that I'm complaining about getting 84 days for a 42-day cruise! But you'd think the rooms would be on a par.

The Vista ships introduced a level of category between the veranda cabins of the S- & R-class ships and the suites; those categories are the SS, SY,SZ, and are the ones given the amenities that are found in the Vista Suites on the smaller ships.

So I guess it's meant to be an incentive to book on one of the older, smaller ships?

Who knows. I see it more as a way to be sure that the smaller ships also have two classes that give the double days benefit.

That was a change somewhere along the line, after the Star Mariner program, with the assorted methods of accumulating days, was instituted. At first, the vista cabins on the S- & R- ships were not termed "suites" and did not get the double days.

My DH asked me a question at breakfast today that I couldn't answer (coffee hadn't kicked in:)). I still am not quite sure of the differences. On Maasdam we were in a Vista Suite, which was, as far as I can tell, just a verandah stateroom (283 sq.ft.), but had added amenities: stationery, a loaner umbrella, a small vase of flowers, and the biggie - double days! On our next cruise on the Westerdam we will be in a similar sized stateroom (212-359 sq. ft. it says), no umbrella, stationery or flowers, I guess, and no double days. I think we're paying about the same amount per day for the rooms. Why would one ship call the room a Vista Suite and the other just a Verandah stateroom? Not that I'm complaining about getting 84 days for a 42-day cruise! But you'd think the rooms would be on a par.

Generally speaking, the vista suite would be more expensive because there are way less balconies on that class of ship. You would generally get a balcony for much less on a vista or signature ship, if it wasn't a Panama canal cruise.

Edited by cruz chic

We shied away from booking Ryndam the past few years because we didn't want a Lanai room and didn't care to pay for the extra cost of a suite when we didn't feel a need for it.:) The S class seemed to have no balconies to speak of that are not suites.

Yes, you pay more for a suite (in many cases close to double the cost of a regular verandah) and you DO get double cruise points - like what the OP said -84 points for a 42 day cruise. That's a way to rack up a lot of Mariner Star level points and the perks that come with those levels.

On one trip like the OP's you could go from no stars to Level 3 in only one trip which would make booking a suite more attractive than even the room amenities.

....... So in this scenario ...for the 2nd cruise you be eligible for:

25% discount on specialty restaurant surcharges and on beverages

in the Explorations Café

25% discount on select wine packages (excluding wine cards,

Sommelier packages and individual bottles)

25% discount on mini-bar purchases

Interesting. We also had a Vista suite on the 42 but never received the double points. Thanks for that info. I'll be calling them.

Did you pay the going rate or did you take an upsell? If it was an upsell or upgrade you will not get double points.

We shied away from booking Ryndam the past few years because we didn't want a Lanai room and didn't care to pay for the extra cost of a suite when we didn't feel a need for it.:) The S class seemed to have no balconies to speak of that are not suites.

As far as I know, Ryndam doesn't have Lanai staterooms. Did you mean the Veendam?

As far as I know, Ryndam doesn't have Lanai staterooms. Did you mean the Veendam?

You're correct.

We had been looking at the Veendam and saw the Lanai cabins and then the ($300 - $600 pp) jump to Vista Suites :) We knew they were the same class so I didn't look any longer. Without the Lanai step in there the price jump from OV to VS was an even bigger $$ one on the Ryndam.

As I said (to keep from being flamed by others who might be reading :) ) Lanai cabins and suites are ok/cool/great for anyone who wants one :) but not what we're looking for. We have a comfortable retirement vacation budget but sticking to verandahs instead of suites allows us 3 cruises every 2 years rather than once a year :)

We just did a cruise on Zaandam and had a Vista Suite and NO DOUBLE days. Mariner Society is standing firm on the fact that we never paid "FULL" brochure fare. Any discounted fair does not qualify for double days this includes fare drops and upgrades you pay for.

I have argued this since returning in December and they will not budge on this and I have been cruising with HAL for 31 years.

Oh yes Concierge is just a fancy word for Front Office and includes 4 items. Making reservations for Dinner, Pinnacle, Shore Excursions and movies.

I can do all that on the phone so I didn't see the use of this service, it just was a middle man.

If you are in Neptune suite you have your own Concierge in the Neptune Lounge that I trust does much more.

Phil

You're correct.

We had been looking at the Veendam and saw the Lanai cabins and then the ($300 - $600 pp) jump to Vista Suites :) We knew they were the same class so I didn't look any longer. Without the Lanai step in there the price jump from OV to VS was an even bigger $$ one on the Ryndam.

As I said (to keep from being flamed by others who might be reading :) ) Lanai cabins and suites are ok/cool/great for anyone who wants one :) but not what we're looking for. We have a comfortable retirement vacation budget but sticking to verandahs instead of suites allows us 3 cruises every 2 years rather than once a year :)

My husband and I booked a Vista Suite because we are really wanted to try cruising in an aft cabin with a balcony. We know we paid more for what is basically an average sized balcony cabin in the aft (but a little bigger balcony than a straight midship balcony). But that particular view really appealed to us. My husband is into watching for dolphins, and when he found out they often follow the ship's wake, he got it into his craw that we needed to cruise (at least once) in an aft balcony. I'm left kind of wishing we'd paid a little more for a Neptune Suite, but oh well - aft balcony it is, and we will love it. lol And thank you for sharing your plan for three cruises every two years due to doing a little budgeting. A cruise every seven or eight months and not every 16 months would be wonderful!

Edited by galensgrl