carry on make up rules/air port 101 travel question

zumbaqueen1

I really like this idea, thank you so much! I refuse to check my makeup (it's expensive, but also because no one needs to see me without at least some on if my bag were to get lost, LOL) so a lot ends up in my 311 bag, but inevitably find myself wanting some chapstick/lip gloss, hand sanitizer or lotion on the plane only to remember it's all in the bag in the overhead compartment because I never think to take the purse items back out. I think a separate baggie would really help me with this.

Yep, it works really well. I usually keep travel-sized stuff like a hand sanitizer, lip balm, lip gloss, hand lotion, and eye drops in the sandwich-sized baggie and pull it out of the quart-sized one once I've gotten through security. I put the sandwich bag in my purse and the quart-sized one in my overhead carry-on. For me this is the best way I've found to deal with this matter.

• 1 month later...
Everything you've listed (including mascara which is a liquid), needs to fit into your bag with the exception of solid deodorant, and usually lipstick and Chapstick.

Coconut oil must be in the bag.

Think of it this way; it you can pour it, smear it or spread it, put it in the bag.

Since you can smear lipstick and chapstick, shouldn't they be in the bag?

I don't know how you all do it!! I have so much stuff that has to be in a zip lock baggie that there's no way I could do a carry on only. It stresses me out to even think about it.

I have always been told that lipstick/chapstick has to go in a ziplock bag FYI.

I don't know how you all do it!! I have so much stuff that has to be in a zip lock baggie that there's no way I could do a carry on only. It stresses me out to even think about it.

I have flown out of JFK airport in NYC countless times and was never told that. I guess it is different depending on the security personnel.

Always curious: what do you have that you can't buy at port that would cause you to not be able to put it in the Kippie bag and carryon?

• 1 month later...

We flew into Miami on Easter and took only carry-ons because our flight time was too close for me to feel comfortable checking luggage and then having to get it. We found some solutions to our problems. Face wipes work well on cleaning your face and do not have to go in the quart bag. I found solid perfumes through Pacifica and took those with. I use Bare Minerals for makeup and the powder doesn't go in the bag. I color my short hair so we always have extras of the deep conditioner that comes in the box and we took 3 of those along. We only ended up using 1 1/2 but I like to be on the safe side. You do not want to see my hair without conditioner! I also discovered once on board that I had left a bottle of saline nose spray in our cosmetic case that ISA somehow missed. We did put mascara and lip balm in our quart bags. I bought lotion in the airport AFTER we went through security. It was on sale for $7.49 for 3 oz! We packed sunscreen and some sunscreen sticks (which did not have to go in the bag). My daughter and I are allergic to aloe so we have to be careful with lotion and sunscreen. Sunscreen was available on board the ship but it had aloe in it. I did not see any lotion on board. We used the shampoo and body wash that were provided in the shower. We loved them. Good smell, not drying to our skin and didn't bother my husband's sensitive skin. We will probably do carry-on as much as possible in the future. It is MUCH easier. If time allows then in the future I would stop by a drugstore or such and buy lotion and sunscreen there. We go through a lot of both and that would make everything so much easier.

Only problem I've had with TSA was when a new guy told me I had to take my (hard, plaster) cast off for screening. I asked if he provided tools. He told me I was impertinent (I laughed, I'm 60+, he was maybe 22). I asked for another screener

Only problem I've had with TSA was when a new guy told me I had to take my (hard, plaster) cast off for screening. I asked if he provided tools. He told me I was impertinent (I laughed, I'm 60+, he was maybe 22). I asked for another screener

Had one of those "intelligent" TSA clerks before - told me I had to walk through the scanner, even though I had a temporary plaster cast on one leg and was NOT supposed to put ANY WEIGHT on it (2 days prior to surgery to re-set it). Had to call for a supervisor to tell this idiot that I didn't have to walk through...

Good thing your clerk did not have access to the dreaded and infamous "cast scope"; it was a device used by TSA at a few airports for a little while that was a medical X-ray device that they would use to look through casts for weapons of mass destruction. Seriously true.

One time I hit the Bath and Body Works for travel size supplies and they were a little big for all three (lotion, gel and body spray) to fit in my quart bag on the way home. I put one quart bag with those items through the scanner with my shoes and another quart bag with my other toiletries with my backpack. Picked them both up on the other side. #oops :D At worst they would ask me to throw one out. And when DH is around, I will use his quart bag space if needed.

But now I have TSA-Precheck and I don't have to remove any toiletries. I have never put lipstick in my 3-1-1 though, or mascara.

Had one of those "intelligent" TSA clerks before - told me I had to walk through the scanner, even though I had a temporary plaster cast on one leg and was NOT supposed to put ANY WEIGHT on it (2 days prior to surgery to re-set it). Had to call for a supervisor to tell this idiot that I didn't have to walk through...

Good thing your clerk did not have access to the dreaded and infamous "cast scope"; it was a device used by TSA at a few airports for a little while that was a medical X-ray device that they would use to look through casts for weapons of mass destruction. Seriously true.

I'd have been arrested if he'd tried it! I was also non weight bearing & no wheelchairs were available. I was flying American & had a pilot behind me, I asked the TSA guy to let him go in front of me because his getting to the plane was quite more important... I finally got thru (45 minutes) & crutched madly to my gate as they were just closing the door. Gate agent asked if I was on the DFW flight I nodded, her comment I need to change your seat at the pilots request. First class never felt so good! Nice guy! He'd said if a lady in a pink cast comes down, move her up, she had the idiot...