Ultimate Beverage Package - Pick your cruise line

DreamingBig1

For those who do the cost benefit analysis and decide that you don't drink enough to substantiate the cost would you be willing to pay a much smaller lump sum for bringing on a couple bottles of liquor on board?

I think I would consider paying a $200-$300 in order to bring a couple regular size bottles of liquor on board.

I would be willing to of course pay for the mixers.

My wife and I enjoy a few drinks on vacation, but we don't spend anywhere near the amount of the combined ultimate beverage package, which usually adds up to around at least the $700.00 range or higher.

Thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...
For those who do the cost benefit analysis and decide that you don't drink enough to substantiate the cost would you be willing to pay a much smaller lump sum for bringing on a couple bottles of liquor on board?

I think I would consider paying a $200-$300 in order to bring a couple regular size bottles of liquor on board.

My wife and I enjoy a few drinks on vacation, but we don't spend anywhere near the amount of the combined ultimate beverage package, which usually adds up to around at least the $700.00 range or higher.

Thoughts?

On Oceania, soft drinks, juices, coffees are included in the cruise price. The "prestige" alcohol package (anytime bars or dining rooms are open including room service during those hours) is $60/person/day. Four to five better wines or premium spirits including the tips equates to that $60. So, a glass or two of wine at lunch, two at dinner and one or two pre dinner cocktails or evening nightcap is break even or better.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

Thoughts?

I've purchased one liter bottles from both NCL and CCL pre-cruise to have in the room.

On HAL we are able to buy 1 liter bottles of alcohol for in cabin consumption. And we do order a couple of bottles so that we can have drinks out on the verandah any time we want.

HAL's drink package is not worth it. It is about $50 per person a day -- no drinks over $7 and only house wines and can only order up to 15 drinks a day which includes the specialty coffees, bottled water and sodas.

Our favorite cruise line is Celebrity. We find that we get close to our $ back in the N/A drinks at the coffee shop and bottled water. Yes, I know the tap water is perfectly safe to drink and drink it at meals, but if I drink too much, I have swelling in my legs.

Meanwhile, most of the cruise lines allow you to pre-purchase a bottle of your favorite liquor for the room, and it generally comes with a few mixers. If your favorite line does not advertise it, I recommend calling them to ask. It might be offered as part of the 'Bon Voyage' gifts program.

Best packages can be found on Crystal, Seabourn, Regent and Silversea. All the liquor you wish and the price per day is zero. And they don't care if you bring your own liquor onboard.

Of course, it's part of your cruise fare. ;)

And I'm sure those aren't the cruise lines of choice for anyone concerned about the cost of a beverage package or the size of their drinking bill.