Day access to Westin Resort, Ka'anapali

proudmummy2014

Hi,

We will be cruising around Hawaii in September. While visiting Maui, we are keen to catch a taxi to Ka'anapali Beach for some snorkelling. We plan to snorkel around the front of the Westin Resort as we have heard Black Rock can be quite dangerous.

We were wondering while there, are we able to gain day access to the Westin Resort to use their facilities (restrooms, pools etc) and if so is there a fee payable?

Thanks in advance.

I've read that when occupancy is low (i.e. in off-season) they will sell day passes - there is a fee, but not sure how much it is. Agree with Bruce to call them to inquire.

The snorkelling at Black Rock isn't usually dangerous if you don't go to the end of the rock ... i.e.don't go beyond about 2/3's of the way out as you might get into a rip current that often exists beyond the end. It wouldn't be an issue for a strong swimmer or someone who knows how to get out of one, unless conditions were really bad, but then no one would be snorkelling in those conditions anyways as a flag would likely be posted at the beach.

I'd consider renting a car for the day and heading to other beaches in W. Maui that have better snorkelling than what there is in the area of Westin and Sheraton. I don't think there is much in the way of snorkelling in front of the Westin (I have a book that lists the snorkelling places on Maui and the only area mentioned along that stretch of Kaanapali beach is Black Rock, but the author doesn't give it high marks because of how crowded it gets.)

Edited by Susan-M

We plan on going there,. Fee is $35 pp, all facility access, and you just walk in the hotel, onto the pool area and purchase the day pass from the towel station.

I called to inquire and the towel attendant said there was no need to make a reservation, even though the web site mentions 'if the occupancy of the hotel is 80% or below'. I was ready to throw down my plastic.

As for snorkeling, we plan on just a pool/beach day there, but there are YouTube videos of decent snorkeling "right in front of the Westin".

Edited by BecciBoo

We've enjoyed snorkeling & scuba diving several times at Black Rock without any problems.

Pay attention to the flag displayed & if red wouldn't recommend it. Once we did a night dive from the north side of Black Rock & struggled to get to the south side. There was no flag on the north side but there was a red flag when we finally got to shore on the south side so heed the warnings.

Here's a link to the Maui Dive Shop brochure which if counting correctly beginning on page 25 they describe diving & then snorkeling locations (about page 30-ish) here in Maui including maps:

http://www.mauidiveshop.com/Maui-Dive-Surf/files/index.html

I've never gone to the area near the Westin but it's not mentioned as a snorkeling/diving spot in the brochure.

Edited by Astro Flyer