Ruby Princess E. Caribbean photo and video review

Bimmer09

16236516868_a52404c171_c.jpg[/url]

There are signposts telling you where to go-although we found them only marginally helpful

15801668404_83bff73e39_c.jpg

We walked away from the dock

16423232942_8bc6ce4a0d_c.jpg

A glass-bottomed boat came back from a tour and docked (sorry no photo) and one of the boatmen sang some Harry Belafonte to some girls who were passing.

They stopped to listen. A nice moment.

Up ahead we saw the food area and I suggested we try some barbecue. Sure said Carol as we BBQ our brains out in the summer on a charcoal Weber grill. Smoke. Savory smells wafting in a summer breeze. Sizzle and char. Hmm.Hmm. Hmm!!

We got in a short buffet line and as I was holding a paper plate, napkin and plastic cutlery and was trying to serve myself there will be no photos of the trays of food being kept "hot". There was an absence of smoke and the wafting of savory smells I was waxing poetically about before....

There were plenty of shaded tables nearby so it didn't take long before we could start eating.

15804124693_e35904dc7b_c.jpg

"What we have here for you today is an ice-cold "hotdog" in a cold bun (cold is ok for buns) an overcooked thin beef patty served cold with raw onion and pickles (meant to be cold), our local catch of the day which is a dry overcooked piece of cold fish you may need to saw through with your plastic knife, a dry hard slice of chicken breast served cold, some cold baked beans and some potato salad (expected to be cold). Buon appetito!"

COLD BBQ? Really Princess? A steam table but without the steam? I had visions of a big BBQ pit with glowing coals and a team of chefs flipping' burgers and sizzlin' sausages and chicken breasts. Is this stuff cooked in the Trident grill that morning and then shipped ashore to be "warmed up"? The hockey-puck burgers had definitely been cooked more than once already. As they would be packing up the kitchen in 20 minutes did they just decide to kill the warmers early and let the food cool?

A fly buzzed our table. I looked at Carol-"did you order the fly?" I know I didn't.

He landed on my plate, surveyed the food and flew off again.

Alas after a bite of everything on the plate only the potato salad was eaten and the rest went into a trash bin.

I made my disappointment clear in my Princess Survey.

I just have to say that I love your photos.... they are awesome!!! We'll be sailing on the Ruby for the first time in April and I can't wait.

Thank you for the kind compliment! Glad to see another new face join the "party" as Jimmy V called it.

Norris

Just to let you know that our -17th of May will be on the the Navigator of the Seas out of Galveston. We live west of Houston so it is in our front yard and a short drive. Jamaica, Caymans and Cozumel is our destination.

Your cruise on the Ruby is a great winter read.

Continue . . .

Norris, we were on the Ruby in 2013 on the same itin. that you are on, it's one of our fav's!! How about a selfie of yourself, you never know when we may run into you sometime?

Pic's are great...nice memories!

Thanks,

Steve

We strolled a little further on. There's a concrete path so you don't have to get your feet sandy.

The Ruby was looking resplendent in a dazzling white gown with dark blue trim by Fincantieri of Italy.

16237940229_a933d24975_c.jpg[/url]

While waiting for Carol to wash some sand off her feet as she had to dip her toes into the sea I came upon an incident that burned my shorts.

Some gentlemen walked up to a bar just ahead of me, parched from the hot sun and ordered some beers. It was 1.20 and the bars (and food) close at 1.30 (which is ridiculously early as the ship sails at 4 pm). They were turned away, drink-less because the crew had already packed the boxes of beer up to ship back to the, er, ship!

If you tell me in writing that you close at 1.30 then I'd better be able to order a drink and have you serve it at 1.29!

This went into my Princess survey as well.

Here's the bar in question with another empty-handed customer leaving

16236768520_23b4c5fdf0_c.jpg

2.5 hours leeway to get boxes of beer and spirits back to a ship moored a 15 minute ride away-in a tender dedicated to cargo? Really?

In the Survey I suggested that PCL builds a secured temperature controlled shed (alarms, moat filled with crocodiles etc) and leave beers etc on the island. They could stock it with the first ship to anchor each week and each ship would get credit for their sales when they use the island. This would also allow passengers to spend more time on shore, drinking and spending money which is what it is all about. Take the cases ashore lads and bring them back long before the ship sails lest we leave without ye! Home Office knows to the ounce what is sold on the island and replenishment should be no problem.

Norris, not amused by early-closers

Norris, we were on the Ruby in 2013 on the same itin. that you are on, it's one of our fav's!! How about a selfie of yourself, you never know when we may run into you sometime?

Pic's are great...nice memories!

Thanks,

Steve

Steve, I will post a selfie once my arm-stretching exercises pay off.

Wait a minute....there may be a way using this new time machine I just got from Amazon .....back to the Ruby!

Here ya go!

16426142501_7363911fcf_c.jpg

Norris

Just to let you know that our -17th of May will be on the the Navigator of the Seas out of Galveston. We live west of Houston so it is in our front yard and a short drive. Jamaica, Caymans and Cozumel is our destination.

Your cruise on the Ruby is a great winter read.

Continue . . .

Julia- the Navigator is a mighty fine ship ( I read about it and like the photos on Beyondships). Have a great cruise when the time comes and anticipate like there's no tomorrow!

Norris

Steve, I will post a selfie once my arm-stretching exercises pay off.

Wait a minute....there may be a way using this new time machine I just got from Amazon .....back to the Ruby!

Here ya go!

16426142501_7363911fcf_c.jpg

Norris

Amazon is amazing isn't it?..:;)

I had many a beer at the Rum Runner bar & you are correct....they did pack up early even when we were there a couple of years ago!

Steve

Nancy, nothing to worry about as, when I board, I am usually shadowed by a member of the ship's Medical Staff for the first 5 minutes. The person I pushed into the pool was not forgotten-on my way past later I threw them a towel so I am not completely heartless.

Norris

That's good to hear, as I am quite sure I don't walk fast enough to stay out of your way! :D

He is only tyrannical when filming, as befits a great auteur.

Carol, I thought your napkin waving was most elegant. I did go back to the webcam to watch your sailaway and I did notice that couple waving from their balcony on the Dolphin deck just above life boat 22. I just didn't realize it was you. I must have been too busy flipping back and forth between all the webcams I had open that day.

Your sailaway lunch looked wonderful! Too bad the one at Princess Cays did not measure up. We had the same problems with the food, many flies, and early closings as you did when we were there in April 2013. I was hoping your experience was better than ours.

Your pictures of the Ruby and of Princess Cays are beautiful. If Ruby is doing Alaska or Hawii sailings, I may have to convince DH that it is time for us to book one of those itineraries. I have not been looking at those schedules yet. I guess it's time to start. After all, we do have some FCC's waiting to be used. :D

Nancy

[quote name=perfect match;45528335

Your sailaway lunch looked wonderful! Too bad the one at Princess Cays did not measure up. We had the same problems with the food' date=' many flies, and early closings as you did when we were there in April 2013. I was hoping your experience was better than ours.

Nancy[/quote]

Nancy there's a thread about the PCays BBQ right now. Some like it and I have no doubt that I would have eaten the food had it been hot. The potato salad and the items meant to be cold were fine. Even luke-warm I could have eaten a little of the meats. This was cold. Cooked at one time and then left to sit. If I hadn't been using tongs to lift it to the plate I would have known.

I notice at the Trident grill that they pre-cook the burgers for when they are busy and then reheat on the grill-but at least you get a hot burger when it hits your plate.

You are the 2nd person who has echoed the observation that they don't stick to their posted closing times. Poor customer service in that regard.

Norris

We left Princess Cays in our rear-view mirror and headed home to the Ruby.

16238280077_1a87b50957_c.jpg[/url]

16236529738_5ab67d1d61_c.jpg

16424168065_9a7d0e5c34_c.jpg

16236778070_b2b972acae_c.jpg

You enter on Deck 4 into a small elevator lobby. There were 87 people on our tender so it can take a while to get off that deck unless you use the stairs up to Deck 5 and walk to another elevator bank.

This is a bit out of sequence but you forgot to mention the cold slice of American cheese slapped on a hamburger too cold to melt it. Pathetic. By far the worst meal of the trip although the cucumber salad was excellent if you like that sort of thing. And I do.

Although I agree, the P-Cays food leaves a lot to be desired, here are a few tips we've found to make it a bit more bearable for lunch if you decide to go ashore. First, always eat at the grill to the right side of the island(as you are looking at it from the ship). Usually far fewer people over there. We were on this same cruise and we were strolling around on the left side and noticed the lines were very long over there and it's even a larger serving and eating area. When we went over the bridge to the other side there were no lines whatsoever and open picnic tables in the eating area. There is also usually a hot grill there and you can ask to have any of the BBQ items heated up if you'd like. I gave the cook there a burger and some cheese slices and they put it on the grill for about 3 minutes or so and then I had a warm cheeseburger! I'm sure you could do the same with the chicken and/or hot dogs.

Thank you Norris for this excellent review and all of the great pictures. I met you briefly at the Meet & Greet for our roll call and I'm reliving this great cruise through your pics and words!

Edited by Dbld777

I joined Carol for Afternoon Tea in the Sanctuary. It's served there each day at 3.30 and you lay on your lounger and they bring you each course when you are ready. Sandwiches- I'll have a tuna salad please, a Brie and a turkey. Some pastries- Those chocolate eclairs look nice-I'll have two of those. Scones-still warm from the oven and yes to the clotted cream and jam. More tea sir? Sure! Pour away my good man!

We would sail at 4 pm and have 800 miles to go before docking in St. Maarten.

Here's a short video of our tender ride ashore and back....

The anchor is hoisted. I can see it stretched out underwater as the water is clear.

The Staff Captain in the mooring room lays the lash to the bare backs of the sailors pulling on the anchor. A drummer keeps time. A small choir of Philippino baritones sings mournfully..."oh Heave, oh Heave away, Heave.."

Once the anchor is weighed ( pretty heavy I imagine) the Captain pulls the string on the outboard motor and we leave Princess Cays behind. We will be making 21 knots or about 24 mph.

16423331072_9992638a66_c.jpg[/url]

16236614098_42c0580d05_c.jpg

16424254125_10e87a46de_c.jpg

Movies Under The Stars (MUTS) was set up with the special lounger covers. The only bits of programming I watched for even a minute were concerts by Muse, Cheryl Crowe, Rob Thomas and I missed one by Pink entirely as it clashed with our schedule. MUTS is a great entertainment on board (at night, at least as the screen can wash-out in direct sunlight). The sound is fantastic-loud and clear but the big screen has about 60 pixels not firing and they are noticeable. Popcorn is served and blankets are available. There's a bar (Calypso) underneath the big screen.

15801767384_8e28dae7ca_c.jpg

16236863940_1c9b9c3ec9_c.jpg

I am sorry to bother you with a question in the middle of your entertaining and marvelous review... but does the Ruby have a skywalkers that covers the aft pool the way the Caribbean does? And thank you for taking me on an adventure on a ship we have never been on.

The Ruby has a Skywalkers that is moved forward and sits above Sabatini's and the hot tub deck above it. Much less dramatic than the amazing bird's eye view one on the CB.

Questions don't bother me at all. I welcome them. I hope by the time I finish this you will have a good idea of what the Ruby has to offer.

Thanks for stopping by!

Norris

Bimmer I am really enjoying your wonderful and very funny review. Love the pics and videos! Never been on Princess boat, so I feel like I am kind of experiencing it through your trip report.

Love it. Will follow along the way!

The ships looked so close to shore as they were coming into port. The Oasis was right there. Those pics were really cool.

Thanks again

Although I agree, the P-Cays food leaves a lot to be desired, here are a few tips we've found to make it a bit more bearable for lunch if you decide to go ashore. First, always eat at the grill to the right side of the island(as you are looking at it from the ship). Usually far fewer people over there. We were on this same cruise and we were strolling around on the left side and noticed the lines were very long over there and it's even a larger serving and eating area. When we went over the bridge to the other side there were no lines whatsoever and open picnic tables in the eating area. There is also usually a hot grill there and you can ask to have any of the BBQ items heated up if you'd like. I gave the cook there a burger and some cheese slices and they put it on the grill for about 3 minutes or so and then I had a warm cheeseburger! I'm sure you could do the same with the chicken and/or hot dogs.

Thank you Norris for this excellent review and all of the great pictures. I met you briefly at the Meet & Greet for our roll call and I'm reliving this great cruise through your pics and words!

Bruce! Yes we met at the bar at the Meet n Greet which will come up in my ramble. I am glad you have found this thread. I didn't put a cruise date on the title and that's one thing you can't go back and edit as the software has a mind of it's own ( I typed it in CAPS and look what I got)

Thanks for the tips on getting the food reheated. Should we have to go through that though? Eating cooked food cold won't kill me but it sure isn't what I expected from BBQ. Next time I will go earlier and touch the food once it's on my plate and get it fixed then and there and then complain to the supervisor responsible. We ate on the quiet side of the island BTW. I blasted PCL with both barrels on my survey on a number of issues whereas I am usually rainbows and daffodils.

Overall we are happy Princess cruisers but they have a lame-brain in some instances which I will detail as this review goes on. I want them to be better where it's easily accomplished-not asking for the moon. With 7 PCL cruises in 3 years under my belt I find myself filling out fewer and fewer "You made a difference" cards. As any of the people who serve me on the ships could attest I am the most civil, well-mannered, undemanding person there is. I'm Mr Please and Thank You and engage with everyone but once the needle begins to rise on the Bull****ometer.....beware.

I know what it's like to work on a cruise ship- 44 cruises on the Song of Norway with RCCL (RCI now). You have to be "UP" for every cruise. There's no "phoning it in" because you are tired and checking the weeks off the calendar. Waiters who didn't thrill their passengers were busboys for the next sailing. In the days of no fixed daily gratuities that put a dent in the employees wallet and pride.

Staff have to care and supervisors are there to make sure they do and that the product being sold is to a high standard on every voyage and for every passenger.

There's so much competition out there in cruising today. So many lines and ships.

If you don't thrill the customers every step of the way then they may look for someone (ship/line) who can.

Norris