Ruby Princess E. Caribbean photo and video review

Bimmer09

So it's Sunday night, January 25 th and we have been on the ship for just over 24 hours and can tick our first port-Princess Cays- off our list.

The aft pool deck is quiet as it gets dark. I come here to watch the wake.

16238370837_323d7e08f6_c.jpg[/url]

We booked dinner for 7 people in Michelangelo for 8 pm but later found that Cindy had booked the same but for 7.30 so we had to switch and tell the restaurant.

It was Italian Night. An Italian menu and the waiters wore black pants with a red and white hooped tee shirt. In 1986 they did the same thing on the ship I was working on (as a musician) on RCCL but added straw gondolier's hats to the costumes and had a band walking around playing accordions and trumpets to really drive home the Italian theme. Very festive and romantic. Head waiters dressed up as Italians too. Fun dinner!

Now-not so much but I'm here to eat anyway.

On the way into the MDR there was a colorful display of lemons and Limoncello bottles- and yet the waiters did not try to sell/offer us any. We asked for it as we like it's palate-cleansing taste. If I was looking a the bottom line for the bar sales for the week I'd be wondering why we didn't sell more Limoncello. You have to offer it to get people to buy if they have never tried it before. We had a nice waitress in the Da Vinci at breakfast break into a spiel about a wine tasting event. No interest to us and the timing was all wrong. Here we are on Italian night and the Limoncello is an non-issue. Offer me some! If I don't know what it is just give me a splash in the bottom of a glass to taste. If I buy some the House wins!

We ordered some and the cool ship's shot glass is a thing of the past. We have six of them anyway but still...cutbacks. Now a plain clear shot glass which stays on the ship after we're done.

With 7 of us at the table in an already noisy dining room it was bedlam and not conducive to enjoying the culinary delights that this galley can put out.

Does anyone watch the TV series Downton Abbey? Marvelous piece of work.

On the set they have a Historical accuracy expert who they have to listen to.

At dinner time on that show one person speaks while the others listen. Then there is a pause and another answers and everyone listens. The modern way is more like 3 different conversations going on at once and the volume rises and rises at each table so that the speakers can be heard. Listening is more important than talking is my point.

Let's eat!

It seems I bought a bottle of red wine- Oberon by Mondavi Vineyards as it has hit the spot on previous cruises. It wasn't served in a red wine glass (round flat-bottomed bowl) but-whatever. I think it was $40 plus the usual 15% gratuity .

Next to it is the Limoncello.

16422508591_b43b4a12a4_c.jpg

As a lover of hot soups I had to order minestrone

15804228223_c17988900a_c.jpg

Carol's Fettucini Alfredo which is a great Princess Always Available dish

16238374357_4559350821_c.jpg

I love Veal Scallopini

16423341192_453dc94143_c.jpg

Some things that didn't get photographed....prosciutto and melon appetizer for both of us, and three scoops of gelato each-lemon sorbet, zabaglione and torrincino. All delicious. Another great Ruby meal!

After dinner the plan was to enjoy the Rick Steele show in the Princess Theater. Rick doesn't look like he is in his 60's: tall, muscular and fit. Handsome and energetic. He has a good voice and works hard. He was backed by a live band and sounded great. Very engaging personality indeed.

Alas I left before the end while Carol stayed behind.

So much food and wine all day long....bed seemed like a great attraction. He did a 2nd show at the end of the week but we were elsewhere. He's good and has a heartbreaking story to tell (which I missed) He is a survivor.

Sea day tomorrow. No plans but to attend the Roll Call meet and Greet and stuff my face at the Pub Lunch.

The moon shone down on the calm sea as I took a last breath of fresh air before bed. I was Escaping Completely....

Norris

The aft pool is my favourite spot. Just love watching the ""wake"" all day long. Also much quieter than the main pool.

:D

Agreed. Quiet back there and the wake is very calming. Thanks for reading the review and commenting.

Stay tuned!

Norris

I have been following along and I am thoroughly enjoying reading your review. Thank you for taking the time to write. :)

And thanks for taking the time to (a) read and (b) respond.

Glad you could join us here.

Norris

No need to wake super early today but I prefer not to miss things like this....

16241340947_5f614f3881_c.jpg[/url]

First order of business was to walk about 12 cabins to the aft elevators and head up to Deck 15 where the Horizon Court/Cafe Caribe buffets are.

16431951196_fae58241b4_c.jpg

There are a number (at least 6) of these "help yourself" coffee and hot water stations in the buffet complex. Coffee is a syrup with hot water and is good enough to start the day.

To see the sunrise I would have to switch to the forward part of the ship and grabbed my cup of coffee at the coffee station closest to the Calypso pool midships.

The buffet staff also set tables by the pool in the shade for diners. Cutlery and napkins and coffee cups are set up. Nice touch as who doesn't like to eat outdoors in the Caribbean? (Rhetorical-no need to raise your hand)

Up by the Tradewinds bar I had a cigarette and waited for the sun to show himself.

16401268196_dd50e612a6_c.jpg

On deck the crew do their daily task of pushing any rain that fell during the night from one end to the other and then using a wet-vac to mop-up as the decks don't have drainage holes and gutters installed (huh?) Some stop to chat in their native language as there is no supervisor around. Once the sun climbs high the decks will get dried. Deck attendants unstack the loungers and place them ready for the sunbathers and on a sea day there will be plenty of those.

At 8.30 we were in Da Vinci enjoying another fine MDR breakfast. Simple hot oatmeal for me with raisins and brown sugar and for Carol scrambled eggs with Swiss cheese and asparagus and a side of gratin potatoes. She told me there was going to be some Estonian choir singing in the Princess Theater at noon. I like singing so that sounded cool.

At 9.45 I was in the vicinity of the Wheelhouse Bar. It is opposite the Excursions Desk on Deck 7 forward.

Excursions desk

16426049311_d0057b16d3_c.jpg

They have monitors there showing the available excursions in the ports. Those in RED are sold out so tough luck , buster. You can reserve excursions at home on your Personalizer before you sail, as we do.

Onboard you can fill out an excursion request form and put it in the drop box. Same goes for FCCs (I'll explain those later)

15807202203_d7ed5f2565_c.jpg

So it's Sunday night, January 25 th and we have been on the ship for just over 24 hours and can tick our first port-Princess Cays- off our list.

The aft pool deck is quiet as it gets dark. I come here to watch the wake.

16238370837_323d7e08f6_c.jpg[/url]

We booked dinner for 7 people in Michelangelo for 8 pm but later found that Cindy had booked the same but for 7.30 so we had to switch and tell the restaurant.

It was Italian Night. An Italian menu and the waiters wore black pants with a red and white hooped tee shirt. In 1986 they did the same thing on the ship I was working on (as a musician) on RCCL but added straw gondolier's hats to the costumes and had a band walking around playing accordions and trumpets to really drive home the Italian theme. Very festive and romantic. Head waiters dressed up as Italians too. Fun dinner!

Now-not so much but I'm here to eat anyway.

On the way into the MDR there was a colorful display of lemons and Limoncello bottles- and yet the waiters did not try to sell/offer us any. We asked for it as we like it's palate-cleansing taste. If I was looking a the bottom line for the bar sales for the week I'd be wondering why we didn't sell more Limoncello. You have to offer it to get people to buy if they have never tried it before. We had a nice waitress in the Da Vinci at breakfast break into a spiel about a wine tasting event. No interest to us and the timing was all wrong. Here we are on Italian night and the Limoncello is an non-issue. Offer me some! If I don't know what it is just give me a splash in the bottom of a glass to taste. If I buy some the House wins!

We ordered some and the cool ship's shot glass is a thing of the past. We have six of them anyway but still...cutbacks. Now a plain clear shot glass which stays on the ship after we're done.

With 7 of us at the table in an already noisy dining room it was bedlam and not conducive to enjoying the culinary delights that this galley can put out.

Does anyone watch the TV series Downton Abbey? Marvelous piece of work.

On the set they have a Historical accuracy expert who they have to listen to.

At dinner time on that show one person speaks while the others listen. Then there is a pause and another answers and everyone listens. The modern way is more like 3 different conversations going on at once and the volume rises and rises at each table so that the speakers can be heard. Listening is more important than talking is my point.

Let's eat!

It seems I bought a bottle of red wine- Oberon by Mondavi Vineyards as it has hit the spot on previous cruises. It wasn't served in a red wine glass (round flat-bottomed bowl) but-whatever. I think it was $40 plus the usual 15% gratuity .

Next to it is the Limoncello.

16422508591_b43b4a12a4_c.jpg

As a lover of hot soups I had to order minestrone

15804228223_c17988900a_c.jpg

Carol's Fettucini Alfredo which is a great Princess Always Available dish

16238374357_4559350821_c.jpg

I love Veal Scallopini

16423341192_453dc94143_c.jpg

Some things that didn't get photographed....prosciutto and melon appetizer for both of us, and three scoops of gelato each-lemon sorbet, zabaglione and torrincino. All delicious. Another great Ruby meal!

After dinner the plan was to enjoy the Rick Steele show in the Princess Theater. Rick doesn't look like he is in his 60's: tall, muscular and fit. Handsome and energetic. He has a good voice and works hard. He was backed by a live band and sounded great. Very engaging personality indeed.

Alas I left before the end while Carol stayed behind.

So much food and wine all day long....bed seemed like a great attraction. He did a 2nd show at the end of the week but we were elsewhere. He's good and has a heartbreaking story to tell (which I missed) He is a survivor.

Sea day tomorrow. No plans but to attend the Roll Call meet and Greet and stuff my face at the Pub Lunch.

The moon shone down on the calm sea as I took a last breath of fresh air before bed. I was Escaping Completely....

Norris

The pictures of the Veal Scallopini and Fettucine Alfredo are sending me into a feeding frenzy.....if only I could find a chef to present the dishes in my kitchen. Oh well, nice dream.

Judy

Edited by jlf1
spelling

I signed up for an M and G started by a man called

PUTTERDUDE

I was early at the Wheelhouse Bar to see if there was going to be a lot of people there. There was one man talking to the bar staff there. That was Putterdude or Frank as I will call him from here in.

He was sorting out name tags on a big table so I left him to it and went for a cigarette on Promenade Deck (aft, starboard just outside Club Fusion)

I went back in around 10.00 and introduced myself. Frank had laid out a table with all the name tags in alphabetical order. Well over 50 of them.

16467115922_d66f92b936_c.jpg

I very much enjoyed talking to Frank. A very sweet man, full of life and enthusiasm. He and his wife had already done a B2B on the Ruby so now they were in their 3rd week. I can't ever see myself doing that though.

I got a drink at the bar and met Bruce from Ohio and chatted to him for a while. So nice to put faces to names. I also got some great Photography tips from a man called Steve whose screen name is a bunch of numbers so fat chance of me remembering that. It might have been his checking account number or something so I may make a withdrawal soon and see if he notices.

I'd say only 20 people showed up as the table remained festooned with the name tags of many no-shows. There was one lady from the Cruiseline there. Maybe Frank can pop in and tell us who she was as there was no introduction while i was there. No Captain or Billy Highgate who I'd love to meet as I think he is excellent.

I stayed for over 30 minutes which for someone who does not like parties of any kind must be a new record. I am a quiet person by nature and really only let loose with the chat when the wine kicks in. Then I am a chatterbox- or if you get me talking on something I am enthusiastic about-like music, travel and food I can talk all night and let loose with the wisecracks. At 10.a.m- not so much.

I want to thank PUTTERDUDE (Frank) for taking the time and effort to set up such an enjoyable (for party-shy me) event!

I later in the cruise got to meet Frank again and talk with him. Lovely man.

One of the things (the many things) I love about cruising is the people I meet who would otherwise be strangers to me for all time, and my life is richer for having spent even just an hour chatting with them over a beer. There are a lot of great people out there and I hope to meet many more.

I fired off a couple of photos while folks weren't looking and discovered why it's not a good idea to shoot while there is bright sunlight blasting in through a window so there are "blow outs" but they are all I have to share.

15807205553_a640b48ec8_c.jpg

16426312042_2d228c6cf3_c.jpg

Frank is in neither photo alas.

When I went for a 2nd drink the bartender had his back to me but I set my glass down so he could hear it. Grudgingly he turned around and told me they were getting ready for Pub Lunch ( 45 mins later). I said " and... ??" and he got my drift.

The bar is open. I'm standing here. Here is my empty glass. Here is my card. Give me another weak rum and coke please...

I got my drink and left the 5 members of the bar staff to deal with the major task of putting malt vinegar and HP sauce on the tables in under 45 minutes.

Norris

Bummer Bimmer, I've only just found this thread (and it's up to page 7 already)! Have just spent the last hour reading through this very enjoyable review and looking at the many excellent photos and vids. Thank you so much for taking the trouble ... another Bimmer 5 star review IMO. :)

P.S. You may not remember me, but during your Ocean Princess review I mentioned that on January 24 I too would be boarding a Princess ship, the Dawn Princess, for a cruise to Tasmania. As promised, after stowing my carry on in our cabin I made my way up to the smokers section on Riviera deck for an icy cold Cascade (an excellent Tasmanian beer) and a ciggie and toasted you and Carol wishing you both a great cruise. LOL looks like it worked. ;)

Enjoying the review :)

I very seldom get off at Princess Cays, lunch there is never very appetizing to me but there fruit is sometimes good.

A time or 2 there have been sand fleas there so we couldn't sit as I was being eaten, they never bite DH :(

I'll be there in April with my son so if he wants to go maybe we will try walk to the lighthouse.

Keep up the good work Norris! Enjoying your review so far. Ruby is one of our favorite ships and we are so sad to see her head over to the left coast. Did you happen to meet Maitre D' Nicola? He's very personable and a great guy.

It's so nice to see a review from my favorite reviewer, especially since we will embark the Ruby for our first time on her next month for a California Coastal. We were on her sister, the Crown Princess, a couple of times, most recently for a Mexican Riviera cruise last month. So far, judging from your photos, the ships look quite similar. One thing I loved about Crown was the band, which in addition to playing for shows in the Princess Theatre also played in the lounges as a jazz band. Does Ruby have a similarly multitalented band?

Edited by cvpends

Hey Norris, excellent review as usual. Sorry about the late comment about Princess Cays, but, we have always found the food on the left side (as you get off on the island) is usually somewhat hot, or at least warm. Trouble is, that by the time you find your way back to your seat (remember there are crowds on this side) the food is cold anyway.....:(

Too bad about the lemon cello and no more of the collectible shot glasses. They did the same thing years ago when we were on the original Regal. Neat shot glasses to keep when you ordered an after dinner liqueur like Bailey's Irish Cream or whatever. On our next cruise those were a thing of the past.

Just trying to keep up here. Looking forward to more. :cool:

I was in withdrawal after your Ocean Princess cruise and now can enjoy your Ruby cruise as my Norris "fix". This should hold me till March 4 when I board Grand Princess for our Hawaii cruise.

I so enjoy hour reviews. Please keep cruising for a long, long time.

Jackie

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk HD

Loving your review! :)

Thank you! I am glad you are enjoying. I enjoy the feedback and like to see names that are new to me as well as those who have read my previous ones.

The feedback keeps me coming back and working on the review to get it told in a reasonable amount of time.

I know everyone has hundreds of posts to read daily, across all the boards.

I surf RCI, Carnival, HAL, NCL, Azamara, Regent, Celebrity and Oceania on a frequent basis.

Most of the people I chat with on ships are unfamiliar with CC so I tell them what a great resource it is.

Norris

Bimmer I am really enjoying your wonderful and very funny review. Love the pics and videos! Never been on Princess boat, so I feel like I am kind of experiencing it through your trip report.

Love it. Will follow along the way!

The ships looked so close to shore as they were coming into port. The Oasis was right there. Those pics were really cool.

Thanks again

Thank you for reading and responding!

Yes the ships are quite close as they enter or leave the mouth of the channel and that's one of the reasons I got an ultra wide lens.

I love Port Everglades!

If you have not been on a Princess Ship then you'll find the hundreds of photos still to come (including interior shots of most rooms) interesting. Lots of rich wood, leather, glass and stainless steel and lighting that enhances the decor.

I took photos every day and built up a stock of them to tell the story so I am jumping from album to album on Flickr (and some Google +) and some iPhone Cloud rather than say giving you all the Sanctuary photos in a continuous stream.

I was all over the ship every day and yet didn't manage to get photos of Sabatini's as we only went there once for dinner but it's covered in my first Ruby review in my signature.

Norris

I was in withdrawal after your Ocean Princess cruise and now can enjoy your Ruby cruise as my Norris "fix". This should hold me till March 4 when I board Grand Princess for our Hawaii cruise.

I so enjoy hour reviews. Please keep cruising for a long, long time.

Jackie

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk HD

Jackie, I'm glad you have arrived, so welcome back!

It's about to get more interesting as we near our excursion ports....

Thanks for the kind words, Jackie.

Norris

Bummer Bimmer, I've only just found this thread (and it's up to page 7 already)! Have just spent the last hour reading through this very enjoyable review and looking at the many excellent photos and vids. Thank you so much for taking the trouble ... another Bimmer 5 star review IMO. :)

P.S. You may not remember me, but during your Ocean Princess review I mentioned that on January 24 I too would be boarding a Princess ship, the Dawn Princess, for a cruise to Tasmania. As promised, after stowing my carry on in our cabin I made my way up to the smokers section on Riviera deck for an icy cold Cascade (an excellent Tasmanian beer) and a ciggie and toasted you and Carol wishing you both a great cruise. LOL looks like it worked. ;)

Yes I do remember you from the OP review. Yes your toast worked wonders!

Will you be writing a review of your Tasmanian cruise on the Dawn?

Norris

Enjoying the review :)

I very seldom get off at Princess Cays, lunch there is never very appetizing to me but there fruit is sometimes good.

A time or 2 there have been sand fleas there so we couldn't sit as I was being eaten, they never bite DH :(

I'll be there in April with my son so if he wants to go maybe we will try walk to the lighthouse.

Thanks for joining us here Julia. Nice to see you again!

Norris

I was only in the Wheelhouse Bar on the two sea days. Once for the M and G and then the Pub Lunch served there afterwards and another Pub Lunch visit on the sea day after Grand Turk.

The room has a nautical theme with ship models and naval art

16263510949_dd9a5bef23_c.jpg[/url]

A model of a ship's telegraph from an earlier shipping era

16262088388_9445dd9949_c.jpg

Very cosy

16448014571_41c739f42a_c.jpg

There's a bandstand and a shiny wooden floor for those who like to dance.

16448821282_6a3ca6290a_c.jpg

16262356720_0d1bef2551_c.jpg

Some of the Roll Call group made their way to a fruit carving in the Piazza, the central hub of activities and shopping on the ship. I was hoping to attand a Digital Photography class but got there late and it had already gone wandering up on deck (no biggie as there are lots of classes on youtube)

Carl had missed the roll call to grab a front row seat for the fruit carving.

The Piazza spans 3 decks (5, 6 and 7 (Promenade Deck)

15805815354_6c3b560822_c.jpg[/url]

Around this central hub you'll find cafes and bars on 5 (International Cafe and Vines) Future Cruise Sales are there also. In the middle of the photo-deck 6- there is Passenger Services, staffed 24 hrs. On 6 and 7 you will find the shops.

On 7 there is the very popular Crooners piano bar and on sea days there will be flea-market tables set up for the sidewalk sales to sell tee-shirts, watches, gold-by-the-inch etc. On deck 5 is a performance space and a bandstand.

As this sea day will include a Formal Night there will be a "champagne" waterfall and I'll explain the parentheses later. That's followed by a Welcome Aboard address by the Captain who stands in the spot on deck 6 where I stood to take this photo.

Seen from the side

15805814304_328cce7165_c.jpg

The stairs here have no carpet so hold onto the railings as you walk

15805817994_c5958d1f21_c.jpg

16426563781_77dbbea964_c.jpg

Passenger Services the place to get answers, raise issues etc

16240921890_9a2399907a_c.jpg