Four reasons to choose MDR for dinner

bjohio

You make good points, but you, as a cruise agent, are not the new, first-time cruiser that I was trying to reach. With each new experience peoples choices will change, I was just trying to reach Cruisers 101.

Understood & you make good pts, too..just like to give all options, even newbies...

The biggest thing that will keep my wife and I from the MDR is how often I read around here that dinner can take anywhere from 90 minutes to three hours.

Even when we go to Del Frisco's at home or another fine dining establishment, we're in and out in well under an hour. Not that we have anything against meeting new people, but our time is more valuable than anything, followed by the dining experience itself. We're there to eat, not socialize. That what the bars are for! :)

Roz has put it more succinctly than I did and maybe the 4 lb weight gain is questionable, but usually there is weight gain of some amount if you aren't careful. I loved the sea air causing clothes to shrink comment made!

I often wondered if that happened.;)

The biggest thing that will keep my wife and I from the MDR is how often I read around here that dinner can take anywhere from 90 minutes to three hours.

Even when we go to Del Frisco's at home or another fine dining establishment, we're in and out in well under an hour. Not that we have anything against meeting new people, but our time is more valuable than anything, followed by the dining experience itself. We're there to eat, not socialize. That what the bars are for! :)

Average is about 90 minutes, but we usually ( if alone) are out in 75 minutes..never heard of 3 hours- maybe 2 hrs. when it's late seating ( if traditional dining)..agree, that's what bars/ lounges/ shows are for!!

Big Al

You have opened up a can of worms here, this is one of 5-6 highly contested topics here on CC, so I will put my 2 cents in...FIRST, I do NOT cruise to meet waiters, never have, never will..although it is nice to meet them, I know 99% of the time I will never see them again..this obsession to "get to know my waiters" has puzzled me on all 30 cruises over 15 years on all but MSC & Costa ( I'm a cruise agent & avid cruiser)..similarly, we do not cruise to meet passengers at dinner..we like a table for 2 if we cruise alone, or a table with friends or family if we cruise with others..I am overly friendly ( those who have met me at Sailaway parties or M & M's can attest to that) and love to socialize, when it comes to dining, we like some solitude, and some privacy, and feel the lousy $$ is always worth it..$15-35 pp is not a lot of money for a great meal with terrific ambiance for us..

Second, sometimes my wife & don't feel like eating catered food ,which is what most MDR food tastes like to me..I also call it "wedding food"..it is "OK".."not bad", "decent" etc., is what I usually find..rarely "fantastic, can't wait for tomorrow night"..my wife works very hard & long hours, and sometimes I would like to treat her to better food, better service, and most important, better ambiance...dining with 1500 people is not my idea of that..

Third, QUALITY of food in specialty venues, IMO, is 100% better than the MDR...things I like- crab cakes,Potatoes au gratin, shrimp cocktail ( big ones, not small cheap ones!) , NY Strip, simply are much better in the specialty venues...food is subjective, I know..a perfect example is about 5 years ago, we cruised with 2 other couples on the RCI'S Navigator Of The Seas and for one couple, it was their first cruise..we dined 3 nights in the MDR, and 2 nights $$, Chops & Portifinos..on the last night, I asked both couples if they thought there was a difference in the quality of food in the $$ venues & if it was worth the difference..my friend Bill, who NEVER is at a loss for words, said," you would have to be either drunk, unconscious, or just an idiot to not think this is better & worth the difference"...plus, we sat both nights at the specialty venues at a table over-looking the sea, perfect!

Lastly, we often cruise on our anniversary, or our birthdays, which are 3 weeks apart ..we often book a specialty venue because I like to have my wife feel "special" at dinner time..dining in a loud, bright room with 1500 other passengers and 300 waiters criss crossing back & forth with trays of food is not my idea of feeling special...similarly, if I wanted to take my wife out to dinner at home for a special occasion, I would not take her to Fridays or Chili's, it would be more like Ruth Chris, Morton's, Capital Grill, etc..even though we like Chili's, Outback, etc., it's just not "special"... I have a saying I tell all- "if you want to eat, go to the buffet..if you want to eat better, go to the MDR...if you want to DINE & enjoy your food in a special dining experience, go to a specialty venue". Just MHO...

Big Al

Great post , but you should try Costa and MSC great Italian food, love Costa Atlantica really nice ship ( I have done over 50 cruises), would take either over NCL anyday

I have to agree with big al on a lot of points.

For many years we have only eaten in the speciality restaurants. The food is prepared to order, not several hours in advance like the MDR. Better quality food and better service. The MDR is too noisy and often too bright and can have horrible food.

We were on the Nieuw Amsterdam Jan 18-25 and friends wanted to go to the MDR, we went with them, twice. It was horrible. The food was awful, service slow, and bright enough to perform a operation there. After that, it was back to the speciality restaurants.

The servers have no interest in "getting to know you". Treat them well, don't be difficult and smile. If someone can't ask for that drink or extra green beans at a meal time, only relying on the memory of a waiter, has issues to deal with :rolleyes:

I meet new people on a regular basis in my profession. I am very outgoing. I actually don't like to be trapped at dinner making small talk. And I sure as heck can't hear the person across the table. I am happy to socialize just about anywhere else.

I find the specialty restaurants dirt cheap. We just factor it in to the price of a cruise. I live in a city where a decent lunch without wine is about $24 before tax. So $20 or $30 for a four course meal is a peanuts.

Our very first cruise was on the Norway in 1997. At that time Le Bistro was about it for specialty restaurants. We went one night. After that we were hooked. No more MDR (if we could help it!) for us!

Great post , but you should try Costa and MSC great Italian food, love Costa Atlantica really nice ship ( I have done over 50 cruises), would take either over NCL anyday

You would be one of the few who would say that, no offense..I have 3 couples who are friends, and all 3 cruised on the MSC Divina & NCL Getaway/ Breakaway, and all 3 said the specialty venues on NCL & shows were better than MSC, even though all 3 liked the Divina a lot...I've only known 2-3 people who cruised Costa, and in fact, the reputation is that for an Italian line, many find the Italian food pretty mediocre..just read the Costa reviews here on CC ..not saying the Atlantica's food is bad, just that is not what most of the reviews say..BTW, I, too, had 2 of my Top 5 meals ever on NCL's Le Bistro & Teppanyaki..others were Disney's Palo, & RCI's Chops & 150 Central Park on Oasis...I am trying the Crown Grill on the Regal Princess in April...

I have to agree with big al on a lot of points.

For many years we have only eaten in the speciality restaurants. The food is prepared to order, not several hours in advance like the MDR. Better quality food and better service. The MDR is too noisy and often too bright and can have horrible food.

We were on the Nieuw Amsterdam Jan 18-25 and friends wanted to go to the MDR, we went with them, twice. It was horrible. The food was awful, service slow, and bright enough to perform a operation there. After that, it was back to the speciality restaurants.

The servers have no interest in "getting to know you". Treat them well, don't be difficult and smile. If someone can't ask for that drink or extra green beans at a meal time, only relying on the memory of a waiter, has issues to deal with :rolleyes:

I meet new people on a regular basis in my profession. I am very outgoing. I actually don't like to be trapped at dinner making small talk. And I sure as heck can't hear the person across the table. I am happy to socialize just about anywhere else.

I find the specialty restaurants dirt cheap. We just factor it in to the price of a cruise. I live in a city where a decent lunch without wine is about $24 before tax. So $20 or $30 for a four course meal is a peanuts.

Our very first cruise was on the Norway in 1997. At that time Le Bistro was about it for specialty restaurants. We went one night. After that we were hooked. No more MDR (if we could help it!) for us!

Thanks for the agreement- Ditto on all you've said..funny, NCL's Sun in 2001 was the first time we ate in a specialty venue- and it was Le Bistro!!.We loved it so much, we went twice!! and yeah, $20-30 pp is nothing for a 4-5 course meal..now, NCL is giving the Ultimate Dining Package on many sailings FOR FREE! I have friends who RIGHT now are on the NCL Breakaway for a 12 night cruise, and they took the UDP for free!! They went last year on the same ship, 1st time on NCL after numerous cruises on RCI, Celebrity & Princess, and loved it so much, they booked again and are sailing as I write...

Big Al

I guess this is cultural. Being of French descent, meals are where we socialize and dinners last a lot longer than 90 minutes. I love meeting people at dinner and getting to know them. I guess each to his or her own.

By the way, I don't *do* bars.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Danni3ll3

You would be one of the few who would say that, no offense..I have 3 couples who are friends, and all 3 cruised on the MSC Divina & NCL Getaway/ Breakaway, and all 3 said the specialty venues on NCL & shows were better than MSC, even though all 3 liked the Divina a lot...I've only known 2-3 people who cruised Costa, and in fact, the reputation is that for an Italian line, many find the Italian food pretty mediocre..just read the Costa reviews here on CC ..not saying the Atlantica's food is bad, just that is not what most of the reviews say..BTW, I, too, had 2 of my Top 5 meals ever on NCL's Le Bistro & Teppanyaki..others were Disney's Palo, & RCI's Chops & 150 Central Park on Oasis...I am trying the Crown Grill on the Regal Princess in April...

I did RCCL Chops recently and all the other pay restaurants on the ship were better, love Pinnacle on Hal and all of the Celebrity pay restaurants, but I was talking to another couple in dinning room on Celebrity and he said he wished he was back on the Atlantica ( which had no pay restaurants at least at the at time) but even he pay restaurants are better on some ships than others and all have off nights. 1st pay restaurant we ever tried was old NCL Seaward when it was brand new in late 1980's back when I liked NCL

I guess this is cultural. Being of French descent, meals are where we socialize and dinners last a lot longer than 90 minutes. I love meeting people at dinner and getting to know them. I guess each to his or her own.

By the way, I don't *do* bars.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I guess you're like us even though our family background is from other parts of Europe (my hubby's father was born in the Transylvanian mountains). But we're not foodies -- one of my hubby's favorite dishes on our last few cruises was actually the grilled chicken sandwich with fries at the poolside grill. And for special occasion restaurants here at the home, we may drive all the way to Maggianos or stay near by and even go to the local Islands. It's the fact that we're together. And we don't do bars -- when I'm in a lounge on board it's usually to play trivia or to hear some live music.

We're all different and it amazes me when people post that they won't cruise unless they get a balcony or they have to go mostly to the specialty restaurants. But then, it's their choice, but I would hate new cruisers to think they are missing out if they have an inside cabin or stick with the MDRs. That money they're saving might be for their kid's college fund or to donate to a charity.

I guess you're like us even though our family background is from other parts of Europe (my hubby's father was born in the Transylvanian mountains). But we're not foodies -- one of my hubby's favorite dishes on our last few cruises was actually the grilled chicken sandwich with fries at the poolside grill. And for special occasion restaurants here at the home' date=' we may drive all the way to Maggianos or stay near by and even go to the local Islands. It's the fact that we're together. And we don't do bars -- when I'm in a lounge on board it's usually to play trivia or to hear some live music.

We're all different and it amazes me when people post that they won't cruise unless they get a balcony or they have to go mostly to the specialty restaurants. But then, it's their choice, but I would hate new cruisers to think they are missing out if they have an inside cabin or stick with the MDRs. That money they're saving might be for their kid's college fund or to donate to a charity.[/quote']

Well said!

I did RCCL Chops recently and all the other pay restaurants on the ship were better, love Pinnacle on Hal and all of the Celebrity pay restaurants, but I was talking to another couple in dinning room on Celebrity and he said he wished he was back on the Atlantica ( which had no pay restaurants at least at the at time) but even he pay restaurants are better on some ships than others and all have off nights. 1st pay restaurant we ever tried was old NCL Seaward when it was brand new in late 1980's back when I liked NCL

Interesting..it just goes to show you that you never know what will happen on any given cruise or night..we were on the HAL Westerdam in 2005 and tried the Pinnacle Grill..we waited FORTY- FIVE ( 45 ) Minutes just for our salad!! Correct- 45 minutes to get our first plate..the longest I've waited EVER in any restaurant, land or sea..the manager was so embarrassed, that he gave us another free dinner another night- neither was any better/ worse than Chops- as a matter of fact, the NY Strip I had on the Oasis in Chops last October on a 5 night cruise was THEE best NY Strip I've ever had on any ship and maybe Top 5 of all-time anywhere...again what you like, I might not, visa versa...I do know by reading hundreds of reviews, that Costa has never been mentioned in any great quantities regarding food..I have cruised all but Costa & MSC, so I cannot comment personally on Costa, only what I have read & heard from others....

Big Al

I guess you're like us even though our family background is from other parts of Europe (my hubby's father was born in the Transylvanian mountains). But we're not foodies -- one of my hubby's favorite dishes on our last few cruises was actually the grilled chicken sandwich with fries at the poolside grill. And for special occasion restaurants here at the home' date=' we may drive all the way to Maggianos or stay near by and even go to the local Islands. It's the fact that we're together. And we don't do bars -- when I'm in a lounge on board it's usually to play trivia or to hear some live music.

We're all different and it amazes me when people post that they won't cruise unless they get a balcony or they have to go mostly to the specialty restaurants. But then, it's their choice, but I would hate new cruisers to think they are missing out if they have an inside cabin or stick with the MDRs. That money they're saving might be for their kid's college fund or to donate to a charity.[/quote']

New cruisers for sure ARE missing out on the best of cruising if they get an inside cabin..you should read this & some of the replies:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1947393

What is the point of being on a cruise if you can't see/ feel the sea & don't have that "connection" one has on a balcony? Inside cabins eliminate a part of cruising that makes cruising so special- the connection to the salt air, wind, the whitecaps, waves, sunsets, etc...

As I mention in the post, I don't work all year to spend a week in a broom closet, when I can have sunshine, the sea & nature all in front of me for a few dollars more...

Big Al

1st pay restaurant we ever tried was old NCL Seaward when it was brand new in late 1980's back when I liked NCL

Same here. It was Le Bistro and I still remember where it was located and what it looked like. When we tried it, it was right when NCL went to Freestyle and the MDR service tanked. At the time, we weren't impressed with Le Bistro either. It was 10 years before we tried another NCL cruise. Fortunately, Le Bistro has gotten a lot better but unfortunately, their MDR service hasn't...at least, not from what I've seen.

On a side note...remember how that aft MDR used to shake from the shaft vibrations? I'll never forget that experience on the Seaward.

Thank you, that was all my intent- as a new cruiser I would have liked to have known more and was hesitant about sitting with new people, but am glad we did as it added to the experience.

I'm sure new cruisers appreciate the advice, depending on their expectations. Me...I just tell new cruisers not to over plan. However, I do recommend they try 1 specialty restaurant during their cruise.

Edited by Aquahound

New cruisers for sure ARE missing out on the best of cruising if they get an inside cabin..you should read this & some of the replies:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1947393

What is the point of being on a cruise if you can't see/ feel the sea & don't have that "connection" one has on a balcony? Inside cabins eliminate a part of cruising that makes cruising so special- the connection to the salt air, wind, the whitecaps, waves, sunsets, etc...

As I mention in the post, I don't work all year to spend a week in a broom closet, when I can have sunshine, the sea & nature all in front of me for a few dollars more...

Big Al

Ah, but for many of us, we actually will get out of our cabin and spend time out on the open deck. Many a romantic night my hubby and I were out in the open air area with the stars in the sky above us and the sea all around us. I can't see having the same experience on a small space as a balcony. And we save a lot of money that we can put toward another cruise (even though right now we have to wait and see how expensive college for our girl next year will be).

We've actually turned down a freebie balcony some years ago when we got a move over offer -- postpone our cruise for a few weeks, get a full refund (which wasn't much as we had a friends and family discount), and have an upgrade from an inside to a balcony. There were many reasons we didn't jump on the offer even though we didn't have any flights or hotel changes to worry about (driving to San Pedro for that cruise). But we're not crazy. Just not a priority for us, and I don't think we would do things differently the next time.

Not sure I've ever got out of a "specialty" any quicker that the main on a cruise, sure you can get in and out faster on land.

Personally I love MDR traditional, because I like having my waiter know my preferences and not having to tell them every night. BUT we are all different and I really don't care if that's not what someone else likes. We usually do specialty about once a week [usually on a night the MDR menu doesn't take our fancy] and might do the Buffet once each two weeks and room service similar [usually when we've had big days in port and just don't care] so MDR about 5 out of 7.

Not sure I've ever got out of a "specialty" any quicker that the main on a cruise, sure you can get in and out faster on land.

That's unfortunate (for us). If we experience long dine times the first couple nights in the specialties, we might just resign ourselves to the buffet,Johnny Rockets, and pizza the rest of the week. If we took a land-based vacation, spending much over an hour in any restaurant would automatically disqualify it from being visited again. Especially if the items on the menu included simple things like cold soups and salads as courses (MDR example).

I guess for my wife and I, food is pretty far down on the list of priorities. We weren't raised on what most would call quality meals, so "wedding catering" as some people would refer to the buffet, is actually pretty appealing to us. Especially paired with the fact it couple take up to two hours in every other dining venue.

Not gonna lie. I'm kind of bummed right now. We enjoy good food but not at the cost of excessive time spent on it. :(

Personally I love MDR traditional, because I like having my waiter know my preferences and not having to tell them every night.

This is something I have to admit I've been wondering about. Since most people will order different items each night, what consistent preferences are there for waiters to learn? I can imagine water with or without ice and the right dressing for a green salad, but that's as far as I get.

That's unfortunate (for us). If we experience long dine times the first couple nights in the specialties, we might just resign ourselves to the buffet,Johnny Rockets, and pizza the rest of the week. If we took a land-based vacation, spending much over an hour in any restaurant would automatically disqualify it from being visited again. Especially if the items on the menu included simple things like cold soups and salads as courses (MDR example).

I guess for my wife and I, food is pretty far down on the list of priorities. We weren't raised on what most would call quality meals, so "wedding catering" as some people would refer to the buffet, is actually pretty appealing to us. Especially paired with the fact it couple take up to two hours in every other dining venue.

Not gonna lie. I'm kind of bummed right now. We enjoy good food but not at the cost of excessive time spent on it. :(

I'm not sure what you think you're missing out on that makes you think you have to rush through eating to get somewhere else. Cruising is supposed to be relaxing. Relax, eat, enjoy.

This is something I have to admit I've been wondering about. Since most people will order different items each night, what consistent preferences are there for waiters to learn? I can imagine water with or without ice and the right dressing for a green salad, but that's as far as I get.

You are right- it is just small things- like knowing that you have decaf coffee with desert each night. Not the main thing to decide on choosing MDR certainly.

I was the one starting this thread less then a week ago and I am amazed at the number of hits on it since then and also how it has taken on a life of its own by other off shoot subjects. I hope that first time cruisers have been able to take some ideas from all that has been said and to add to their cruise experience when and if they cruise.

Edited by bjohio

I've never known Tito take 2 hours unless we chose to linger maybe an hour also a table for 2 might suit you better as you can then ask waiter to get you out quicker.

Last cruise we were on 8:30 dinner and out before 9:30 EVERY night.

"wedding catering" more equates to MDR

My drink, there before I even sit down, my bread preference, my wife's dietary requirements, how she likes her hot drink ( and she is fussy with a capital F).

All little things that add up.

I usually mention (casually) on the first night that I don't use salad dressing, but if I could have lemon slices, I would love it. On some cruises, a plate of lemon slices would get placed before me while the assistant waiter is also putting the bread baskets on the table. If not, I wouldn't complain. If I get the plate, I will use the juice on my salad (which I try to get at every dinner) from a couple of slices and drop another slice in my water. Then I'll offer the plate to other diners at my table, and usually they seem very glad to take one for their water glass. I imagine many of the waiters will note these kind of requests on a note card or something.

On one cruise, our waiter was our assistant waiter about a year and a half before on a different ship. We recognized each other (we asked about her boyfriend -- we met him on a port shuttle; sadly they had split up in the meantime) and she mentioned remembering that often my hubby will bring his own mug and coffee to meals in the past.