Changing cabins advice please

Dear experienced cruisers,

I'm booked on an E1 for 3 family members in a cabin location I really like. A 4th member wishes to come but cannot commit this early. Is it okay to book a nearby inside cabin just for him, and then later on move the 3rd passenger fr the E1 to the inside cabin with him? All changes outside final payment? It's more comfortable to sleep in a proper bed than a Pullman for the 3rd passenger. And its cheaper. Thank you so much for your help.

If you book a cabin as a single and then change it to double occupancy later, I am pretty sure that they would reprice the cruise to its current rate. So I wouldn't do that.

If they can't commit I would just wait and make the changes when they know.

It's harder to book a triple than a double so book your triple now and wait.

There are some cabins that can accommodate a 4th passenger, some are configured to fit 3 passengers only. Some only have one pullman. Chances are that if you add the 4th passenger, they'll move you to a quad cabin. The triple and quad cabins are in demand. We booked a triple and had to change it to double and we had to pick another cabin. Your choices are more limited in the available cabins the closer you get to the sail date.

I'd keep your current triple cabin as is; not reason to risk losing one you like. I'd go ahead and reserve the inside cabin now. On the new reservation, I'd lock it in price and availability as a double, so use your undecided relatives name and a second (fictious or random) name. You'll also have that slot if a fifth family member or friend decides they want to cruise, too:).

When your relative makes the (pre-final payment) decision, you can reconcile the names and numbers in the cabins.

This is all based on a North American reservation (TX); international guests face differing rules and likely would handle things differently.

Edited by Starry Eyes

If you book a cabin as a single and then change it to double occupancy later, I am pretty sure that they would reprice the cruise to its current rate. So I wouldn't do that.

While this is true, there is a way around it. Book the inside as a single. If the person commits, check the price (mock booking) to see what the price would be as a double. If the price has gone up more than the savings created by moving the third person from your cabin, then don't rebook as a double. Once on the ship (after check in) go to guest relations and ask for a second room key. Then the third person can sleep in the single's inside cabin (they do not do bed checks).

HOWEVER, if you do move the third person out of your triple, and Royal Caribbean needs a triple, the remaining two of you could be moved to a double.

Edited by Cuizer2

While this is true, there is a way around it. Book the inside as a single. If the person commits, check the price (mock booking) to see what the price would be as a double. If the price has gone up more than the savings created by moving the third person from your cabin, then don't rebook as a double. Once on the ship (after check in) go to guest relations and ask for a second room key. Then the third person can sleep in the single's inside cabin (they do not do bed checks).

HOWEVER, if you do move the third person out of your triple, and Royal Caribbean needs a triple, the remaining two of you could be moved to a double.

Good Advice!! I'm also thinking they would reprice BOTH cabins if you make the switch before boarding...and as was posted...possibly move you from the cabin you want. Better to just book the solo & then re-arrange once onboard...

Here's what I would do. Book the second as a double with the non-committed person's name and the second person to be determined. If/when he commits move the 3rd from your cabin as the second in his. If he doesn't commit before final payment date, cancel the cabin and the three of you will still be in your original cabin.

Edited by cruiseguy1016

I would leave the triple as is since it's in a location you want. Book the inside as a solo. If the relative decides to go, leave it as a solo. When the cruise comes, just get a spare key to the inside, and have the extra person in the triple sleep there. If you are booked in a triple with only two people officially in it, it is possible that you could be moved and you would lose your great location.

May cost a few bucks more this way, but it insures that you get everything that you want.

Booked the inside cabin for a solo, a few doors from the much talked about corner aft balcony on deck 7. Grand total is $20 cheaper than a superior balcony for 4. This grand total comes with 2 baths, 4 beds, huge deck (too big to call it a balcony ), love seat sofa and 2 sets of closet space. I think your protégé did well, thanks to all my advisors :D

Booked the inside cabin for a solo, a few doors from the much talked about corner aft balcony on deck 7. Grand total is $20 cheaper than a superior balcony for 4. This grand total comes with 2 baths, 4 beds, huge deck (too big to call it a balcony ), love seat sofa and 2 sets of closet space. I think your protégé did well, thanks to all my advisors :D

At what size does a balcony become a deck? :confused: