Carnival and that proverbial Grain of Salt.

Sweet Dutch Girl

All I have to say is that I loved Carnival when we cruised with them in November and plan to cruise with them on the Vista. However, my family and my sister's family could post plenty about our negative experience with Royal Caribbean.....being primarily their lousy website which crashed all the time and when you got through to customer service it was apparent they didn't know their left from their right hand. Btw..I don't find this site any more negative than other other forums on the internet including Facebook. JMHO

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Actually, as a new cruiser I love the negative reviews. While I think many people are overly dramatic, their negative experiences help shape my expectations and preparation for my cruise.

For instance, it is amazing how many people have "ruined" cruises because they did not bring earplugs or an air freshener and the sounds and smells of the ship made sleeping nearly impossible. These are very simply, cheap and small things that many cruisers probably take for granted, but the results of forgetting them can be very disastrous.

It also helps me know what to expect when I get on my ship. In two weeks I sail on the Carnival Elation which has been called anything between "a fine old ship" and a "floating Motel 6 from 1998." From this I understand not to expect fresh paint or Carnival Breeze style interior. Instead I will be very understanding when I step into the outdated interior with dinged up cabinets and older carpet.

I think it also helps to understand what works and what doesn't when issuing a complaint. If I do have a problem severe enough to upset me during my cruise, I know to complain to guest services or another member of the staff on the ship directly when the offense occurs, and to make it very clear what I expect to be done to make it right. Too often you see people have a cruise "ruined" when they either didn't voice their complaints until afterwards, or they voiced a complain without any idea what Carnival should do to help remedy the situation.

Long story short, every complaint valid or otherwise helps those of us trying to learn our way around what to expect, what not to expect and what common problems occur that could cause difficulty during a cruise.

Edited by Indytraveler83

After reading ALL the negatives about Carnival on these boards I'm sometimes amazed that ANY of us would still book Carnival. Guess I'm glad I take things posted on this forum with a proverbial Grain of Salt. How do you react to all the negativity?

Some of the criticism is warranted but some is not. Everyone has their own breaking point so to speak. CCL offers a decent product even with all the cutbacks over the years IMO. While it is not our cup of tea in cruising anymore (Diamond CCL member) and we prefer NCL these days, there is nothing that would make me say CCL stinks.

I tend to find the negative posts funny in general. Sure some of them are valid complaints, but I would say 95% of the stuff I see people post their just RUINED their vacation to me is something that wouldn't bother me at all.

Then again, I have a different philosophy to live. If something starts to upset me, the first thing I ask is if I can change it. If so.. go change it! Or is something making you upset and you can't do a thing about it, is it really worth being upset over? I find the answer 99.9% of the time is a big NO!

I can't even think of a time when I have even looked at the carpets on a ship to be upset they aren't in perfect condition. I have had horrible service on land and sea, what can I do about it? Speak with my money (aka tips which I have only removed once). I couldn't even imagine being mad about things one of the "Worst trip ever!" threads recently was that I didn't get my free tiny tube of toothpaste and god forbid I had to get up off my butt to get a drink! How dare Carnival?!!?

Eleven years ago on our first cruise (honeymoon) we had quite an eventful cruise. We were supposed to leave from NO on the Conquest at 4:00 p.m. Sunday evening. There was an incident in the Mississippi River so the boat was redirected to Mississippi. We were bused to the ship in Mississippi and arrived around 1:00 a.m. Monday morning. The cruise departed Mississippi around 6:00 p.m. Monday which was when we also finally received our last bag. We were concerned that the bag which contained all of our shoes was lost. We were informed that due to the delay we would not go to Jamaica.

We had a balcony room so the day that we arrived in Grand Cayman we watched from the balcony as anchor was dropped followed by the anchor being pulled up shortly after. The captain then announced that we were departing Grand Cayman because they were expecting bad weather later that evening. The next day we did make Cozumel as planned. On what was supposed to be a 7 day cruise we only went to one port.

The point of my story is that this cruise was AMAZING. We had so much fun. We met some great people and made life long friends. The crew was also amazing.

However, you can just about imagine how mad most of the people on that cruise were.

A cruise is exactly what you make it. If you let the little things ruin it then you will not enjoy yourself no matter what.

I continue to book with them because after 10 cruises I still have a great time. Unfortunately there are some folks that are just negative in general and let everything little thing bother them, I am personally very grateful that I get to take these amazing vacations and so I don't let the little things get to me.

After reading ALL the negatives about Carnival on these boards I'm sometimes amazed that ANY of us would still book Carnival. Guess I'm glad I take things posted on this forum with a proverbial Grain of Salt. How do you react to all the negativity?

I am going on my 16th cruise and have cruised on Carnival, Celebrity, NCL, Princess and Royal Caribbean and all have been wonderful. ;)

Most of the negative posts are so over dramatic...I booked a gurantee and they didn't put my stateroom next to so and so....my boss is a jerk and it's Carnival's fault...it took 15 minutes in line at the buffet to get my food...no gluten free ice cream cones, so now my cruise is totally ruined and it's the WORST cruise ever! Read some reviews on other sites about hotels, resorts, cars, cities, restaurants, etc. It's a wonder anyone goes anywhere with all of the one sided and over the top negativity and complaints. Some people love to complain and want that "oh poor you" attention. :rolleyes:

The reviews that are too over the top positive are annoying too. I look for the balanced reviews that show the good and the bad.

Heck, our first cruise we were following the path of Hurricane Dennis. 25 foot swells, barf bags everywhere, didn't get back in to the Port of Tampa until 2 am the morning after we were supposed to dock. We had the best time despite all of that and have been hooked ever since.

Edited by Rena921

Things don't have to be perfect for me to have a fantastic cruise. I don't know if the OP is referring to reviews specifically, but I tend to totally disregard completely negative reviews quicker than ones completely positive. But that's just me. When I'm on vacation, I don't look for things to dislike or engage in activities I know I don't like and then come back and complain. Unless it's useful to someone else, why comment on it.

There's alot of negative stuff on here but for the most part, I still say this board is very useful and informative. It has taught me alot. Yes I agree a cruise is what you make of it, and I think (or hope) that some folks are having a far better time on their vacations than the posts lead you to believe. Most people onboard are happy and cheerful. Thank goodness!

ETA: This week has been particularly colorful and gripey on here. Maybe it's the season?!

Edited by cruizinisthebest

I was so afraid to take my first Princess cruise based on reading what I read on here== how the ship is boring after 11pm food is bland. Older crowd.

Took my first Princess-- and breathed a sigh of relief when I found NOTHING was even close to what the people were reporting.

Today-- I do not believe everything I read

Consider that a person with a negative experience (in their eyes) will be much more likely to post I take most of the negative reviews very lightly. A person with a positive experience is less likely to post about it because it's expected.

Exactly! And figure with a couple thousand people on each ship every week ~ there is bound to be a certain amount of people that will have something to complain about.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I was so afraid to take my first Princess cruise based on reading what I read on here== how the ship is boring after 11pm food is bland. Older crowd.

Took my first Princess-- and breathed a sigh of relief when I found NOTHING was even close to what the people were reporting.

Today-- I do not believe everything I read

Same with me when I did HAL to Alaska in 2013. I spent a lot of time on the HAL boards, and kept reading "HAL is going downhill," "too many cutbacks on HAL," "we're leaving HAL for [Cunard, Crystal, whatever]." Of course we had an amazing cruise and loved HAL.

An educated consumer is the better consumer.

I try not to be influenced by negative reviews. There are some negative reviews where everything was bad, and while that may be so for the reviewer, it says more about them, than they say about the cruise. There are some who say they have had the worse cruise of their life, yet only cite one negative, but everything else was good. That also speaks volumes.

Pay more attention to the balanced reviews, those that say this or that could have been better, yet they enjoyed this or that, and said cruise was not his or her best, but not the worse one either. Also, some reviews can cite a very poor instance of customer service, but they dont write off the whole ship, crew or cruiseline as being the same.

Those reviews, that say "cruise from hell", or "never again", can usually be taken with a grain of the provervial salt as they say.

At least this is the way I read and appreciate or not appreciate reviews.

I try not to be influenced by negative reviews. There are some negative reviews where everything was bad, and while that may be so for the reviewer, it says more about them, than they say about the cruise. There are some who say they have had the worse cruise of their life, yet only cite one negative, but everything else was good. That also speaks volumes.

Pay more attention to the balanced reviews, those that say this or that could have been better, yet they enjoyed this or that, and said cruise was not his or her best, but not the worse one either. Also, some reviews can cite a very poor instance of customer service, but they dont write off the whole ship, crew or cruiseline as being the same.

Those reviews, that say "cruise from hell", or "never again", can usually be taken with a grain of the provervial salt as they say.

At least this is the way I read and appreciate or not appreciate reviews.

Very good advice. When I'm looking at reviews, be it cruise, hotel, or otherwise, I always ignore the extremes at both ends of the spectrum and look at the fair, balanced reviews. What I look for in particular is consistency - is there something that would make or break my trip that I am frequently reading from people that seem honest and have reasonable expectations. Depending on what it is, it doesn't necessarily have to be negative.

For example, DH and I were planning a trip to Vegas and really wanted to stay at a resort that had received great reviews. Except DH noticed that many people complimented the resort on the fragrance that they piped throughout the building. I am allergic to many fragrances so staying here may result in the "trip from H@ll" for me.

I've never had a BAD cruise. I do miss some of the ways things used to be and we'll probably move on from Carnival as we don't really fit into the current demographic that they're marketing towards. That doesn't mean that they're doing anything wrong though and we understand that.

Next cruise: Carnival Vista - July 2016

I'm a cruise newbie; so, I tend to drown out the over-negative reviews. If there's no balance, I tend to believe that the person was the problem, not the trip. Besides, a lot of those reviews make me chuckle and roll my eyes because those same people are the ones causing headaches at airports, hotels, etc., when every whim of entitlement doesn't go their way. :p

Just laugh!

I think the negative reviews are ridiculous. I do not let them influence my decision in anyway. Sorry but to me IMOP it is a bunch of spoiled brats. When you visit some of these under developed countries and see how people have to live because they do not have any choices it makes me want to say wake up! To get upset because someone won't bring you a drink fast enough, or the menu is not up to par, or standing in line too long is selfish when who knows what people in these other countries have to go through just to get food for them or their babes.

I will have a wonderful cruise no matter what happens and I do take it with a grain of salt because to me it's a blessing for me to be there at all...

Edited by rocking-m-cruiser

I think the negative reviews are ridiculous. I do not let them influence my decision in anyway. Sorry but to me IMOP it is a bunch of spoiled brats. When you visit some of these under developed countries and see how people have to live because they do not have any choices it makes me want to say wake up! To get upset because someone won't bring you a drink fast enough, or the menu is not up to par, or standing in line too long is selfish when who knows what people in these other countries have to go through just to get food for them or their babes.

I will have a wonderful cruise no matter what happens because to me it's a blessing for me to be there at all...

Hear! Hear! :)

I find nothing really "wrong" with Carnival and book them occasionally. The Carnival boards on the other hand can be brutal:rolleyes: As a pinnacle on Royal, I get way more for my money so thus the reason that my carnival and Princess cruises are less frequent. Carnival and Princess food are equal and sometimes better. I don't do shows so can't rate them. Living on the west coast they are both way more convenient.

Reviews where everything is bad are just as useless as reviews were everything is great. Give me something balanced.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Have "reasonable" expectations!

Do I expect every meal to be spectacular? Do I expect an perfect cabin steward? Is it possible we miss a port because of weather? Could we be delayed somewhere because of an ill passenger?

Understand the demands on the waitstaff and cabin steward before complaining.

The stuff vacationers complain about leave me wondering how miserable they are in their every day lives!!

If you want perfection look at Seabourne or Crystal.