Prohibited items

onebzemom

Just back from a cruise on the Carnival Freedom and I thought I'd share an interesting (and now humorous) experience.

We were a group of six ladies in two rooms. Three first timers in one room unpacking their suitcase found a note in one of their suitcases. It stated that an item(s) had been removed because of safety and it would be returned at the end of the cruise. What was that item? Their electrical strip and a small fan. Surprised, I always bring an electrical strip. I think most cruisers do. It's talked about here on CC all the time. A fan, okay, maybe not okay to bring on. We didn't fight the issue because in someone else's suitcase was another electrical strip. That strip was laid on the counter. After unpacking we headed out to explore and when we came back to the room, we discovered the second strip was taken. :confused: Our room steward said they were not allowed! The two strips taken away were brand new.

What???? Since when??? Well, in our room we had two. So we gave them one of ours and always hid it under our clothes in the closet when we left the room. :D

Now it's the end of the cruise and we are packing our suitcases to sit outside the door. The gals go down to Guest Relations and ask for the outlets. They said they would be given them in the morning. What??? they have to carry them on the plane? I went back with them, explained that our luggage was going onto the airport. They told us to bring the suitcase down to them. They would watch us put the items in the suitcase and then take the suitcase from them and place it in the proper place to go off the the airport. I was shocked and after blinking, shaking my head making sure I just heard that right said "You are kidding, this is a joke right?" No it wasn't and we walked away dumfounded. About an hour later the items arrived to the cabin and we put them in the suitcase.

Home now, and looking up the Restricted items. I LAUGHED OUT LOUD. See the highlight in red! I'm guessing someone in Guest Services was new, maybe our room steward was new also. I don't know, but someone needs to knew the rules printed out for all to read!:D

Here in black and white from Carnival's website:

Are there restrictions on what we can bring aboard? RESTRICTED ITEMS – SAFETY AND SECURITY POLICY

In order to maintain a safe and secure environment, Carnival prohibits bringing certain items onboard. Additionally, we reserve the right to confiscate (and destroy) any articles that in our discretion are considered dangerous or pose a risk or inconvenience to the safety and security of the ship, or our guests, and no compensation will be provided.

Confiscated Items

• Alcohol (hard liquor)/sealed, unopened bottles

• Beer/sealed, unopened bottles/cans

• Wine or champagne/sealed, unopened bottles - beyond the allowable limit of one bottle (750 ml. size) per adult 21 years of age (brought on at embarkation time only in their carry-on luggage)

• Clothing irons and steamers (all Carnival ships offer laundry facilities with irons and ironing boards. Fleet-wide valet laundry service is also available for a nominal fee.)

• Electrical and household appliances, i.e. coffee makers, hot plates, toasters, etc. (See Exceptions)

• Heating Pads

• Hookah

Exceptions:

• Personal grooming devices such as hair dryers, flat irons, curling irons, and shavers, are allowed on board when used with proper caution. However, if such devices are determined to pose a hazard, they will be removed and returned the last day of the cruise prior to debark.

• Electronics such as laptops, cameras, cellular phones, etc. are allowed on board when used with proper caution.

Electrical devices such as fans, power strips, multi plug box outlets/adaptors, and extension cords are allowed on board when used with proper caution. However, if such devises are determined to pose a hazard, they will be removed and returned the last day of the cruise prior to debark.

Just back from a cruise on the Carnival Freedom and I thought I'd share an interesting (and now humorous) experience.

We were a group of six ladies in two rooms. Three first timers in one room unpacking their suitcase found a note in one of their suitcases. It stated that an item(s) had been removed because of safety and it would be returned at the end of the cruise. What was that item? Their electrical strip and a small fan. Surprised, I always bring an electrical strip. I think most cruisers do. It's talked about here on CC all the time. A fan, okay, maybe not okay to bring on. We didn't fight the issue because in someone else's suitcase was another electrical strip. That strip was laid on the counter. After unpacking we headed out to explore and when we came back to the room, we discovered the second strip was taken. :confused: Our room steward said they were not allowed! The two strips taken away were brand new.

What???? Since when??? Well, in our room we had two. So we gave them one of ours and always hid it under our clothes in the closet when we left the room. :D

Now it's the end of the cruise and we are packing our suitcases to sit outside the door. The gals go down to Guest Relations and ask for the outlets. They said they would be given them in the morning. What??? they have to carry them on the plane? I went back with them, explained that our luggage was going onto the airport. They told us to bring the suitcase down to them. They would watch us put the items in the suitcase and then take the suitcase from them and place it in the proper place to go off the the airport. I was shocked and after blinking, shaking my head making sure I just heard that right said "You are kidding, this is a joke right?" No it wasn't and we walked away dumfounded. About an hour later the items arrived to the cabin and we put them in the suitcase.

Home now, and looking up the Restricted items. I LAUGHED OUT LOUD. See the highlight in red! I'm guessing someone in Guest Services was new, maybe our room steward was new also. I don't know, but someone needs to knew the rules printed out for all to read!:D

Here in black and white from Carnival's website:

Are there restrictions on what we can bring aboard? RESTRICTED ITEMS – SAFETY AND SECURITY POLICY

In order to maintain a safe and secure environment, Carnival prohibits bringing certain items onboard. Additionally, we reserve the right to confiscate (and destroy) any articles that in our discretion are considered dangerous or pose a risk or inconvenience to the safety and security of the ship, or our guests, and no compensation will be provided.

Confiscated Items

• Alcohol (hard liquor)/sealed, unopened bottles

• Beer/sealed, unopened bottles/cans

• Wine or champagne/sealed, unopened bottles - beyond the allowable limit of one bottle (750 ml. size) per adult 21 years of age (brought on at embarkation time only in their carry-on luggage)

• Clothing irons and steamers (all Carnival ships offer laundry facilities with irons and ironing boards. Fleet-wide valet laundry service is also available for a nominal fee.)

• Electrical and household appliances, i.e. coffee makers, hot plates, toasters, etc. (See Exceptions)

• Heating Pads

• Hookah

Exceptions:

• Personal grooming devices such as hair dryers, flat irons, curling irons, and shavers, are allowed on board when used with proper caution. However, if such devices are determined to pose a hazard, they will be removed and returned the last day of the cruise prior to debark.

• Electronics such as laptops, cameras, cellular phones, etc. are allowed on board when used with proper caution.

Electrical devices such as fans, power strips, multi plug box outlets/adaptors, and extension cords are allowed on board when used with proper caution. However, if such devises are determined to pose a hazard, they will be removed and returned the last day of the cruise prior to debark.

Yeah, another example as how inconsistent carnival is from port to port and ship to ship. Its too bad, but you hear about this stuff all the time, even though its written policy, its not followed the same way on each ship.

We too encountered this, but in a different way. And I think it was on the Freedom. MY DH brought along his power strip, and when he plugged it in, and then plugged multiple things into the strip, we blew the breaker for several cabins. Total blackout for us, and the neighbors.

So--we don't bring a power strip anymore, as we recognize that the power circuit onboard may bot be able to handle the power capabilities.

Getting it confiscated depends and what ship you're on, and what type of circuits they have.

CeleBrat

Not knowing all the details (seeing the power strips), I really don't find what you've highlighted as humorous or inconsistent. What you may not be aware of is that power strips that are surge suppressors are considered to be hazards, and therefore fall under the description listed in the prohibited list. The power strips confiscated may have been surge suppressed, while the ones that weren't were not surge suppressors.

See this safety notice from the USCG about surge suppressors:

http://www.uscg.mil/tvncoe/Documents/safetyalerts/SurgeProtectiveDevices.pdf

I've heard that all the lines are starting to crack down on these.

My mom (an active 79 year old senior) had her luggage confiscated due to having packed a pair of 16 inch scissors. Sure enough scissors over a certain size are on the list. She just told security that she needs reading glasses these days and the larger pair are easier for her and she was planning to catch up on some sewing during the cruise. They decided she really and truly wasn't going to use these as a weapon and gave her luggage including the scissors lol. I think she charmed them into it.

Not knowing all the details (seeing the power strips), I really don't find what you've highlighted as humorous or inconsistent. What you may not be aware of is that power strips that are surge suppressors are considered to be hazards, and therefore fall under the description listed in the prohibited list. The power strips confiscated may have been surge suppressed, while the ones that weren't were not surge suppressors.

Wow, interesting information. Thank you for posting it.

It would make it much easier on all of us if Carnival would just put that in their restricted items list.

Edited by fuddrules

It would make it much easier on all of us if Carnival would just put that in their restricted items list.

As a further safety warning to cruisers, and perhaps why lines are cracking down on power strips lately (have heard a lot of talk about it lately here on CC) is sort of hidden in the USCG safety notice, and if you're not an electrician you wouldn't catch it.

In the US, circuit breakers only open one leg of wiring, since the white or neutral leg is at ground potential, and no current can flow unless there is a problem like a lightning strike causing current to flow in the ground wires. Shipboard power, however, has both the black and white wires above ground, so if the circuit breaker on your power strip trips and opens the black or hot leg, there is still voltage present between the white and ground, and if the reason the breaker tripped was that your hair dryer grounded out, there could still be lethal power flowing with no way to stop it. Most ships use European style power strips (they will have outlets that accept various plug configurations, and can come with either a US 110v plug or a European 220v round pin plug). These power strips open both legs of power when the breaker or switch is turned off. These can be found online at specialty 110/220 appliance suppliers for $15-20, and these can be surge protected and still be used, since the internal breaker opens both legs.

We have never tried to bring on a power strip, but my husband's contact solution was taken from us when we went on the Paradise. They refused to give him saline from the infirmary, and they did not sell it in the gift shop. He had to wear his contacts for the full 5 days because he had no solution. We were quite unhappy with that.

We have never tried to bring on a power strip, but my husband's contact solution was taken from us when we went on the Paradise. They refused to give him saline from the infirmary, and they did not sell it in the gift shop. He had to wear his contacts for the full 5 days because he had no solution. We were quite unhappy with that.

What was their reasoning for this? That seems absolutely absurd. It is a necessity for anyone with contacts! And then to not even have it on board, even for purchase. I would have raised hell. Are they thinking that people empty them and fill them with alcohol? Those bottles are not big enough to even bother doing that with.

What was their reasoning for this? That seems absolutely absurd. It is a necessity for anyone with contacts! And then to not even have it on board, even for purchase. I would have raised hell. Are they thinking that people empty them and fill them with alcohol? Those bottles are not big enough to even bother doing that with.

Because it was already open, which they would have had to open it to figure out. It was likely them thinking we put alcohol, but a simple smell of it would have taken care of that theory. The best part was is we HAD brought alcohol on the ship, which they missed. We tried to raise hell, when they initially denied taking it.

The reason for (previously) bringing a power strip was that between the 4 of us, with multiple cameras, a Cpap, and an iPad, things constantly needed to be charged and/or plugged in.

We're much smarter about it now, and being several sets of batteries for the cameras so no charging is needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, only two. :confused:

Well then try charging 4 or 5 phones in one outlet. It doesn't work so well.

There are very few clocks on the ship, a lot of photo opportunities and phone numbers to obtain so having a charged phone is kinda nice.

I always bring a small power strip in my laptop backpack.

I've packed a battery powered fan in my luggage with no issues. The fan does have an ac adapter, I do not leave that in the box. It is in my backpack with all the camera, phone & laptop cables.

So far, I have not had anything confiscated or take by our room steward. Hopefully that doesn't change! :D

Mike

Well then try charging 4 or 5 phones in one outlet. It doesn't work so well.

There are very few clocks on the ship, a lot of photo opportunities and phone numbers to obtain so having a charged phone is kinda nice.

That makes sense. For us, when on holidays, we unplug from our phones unless to take some pictures. We usually leave the phones locked in the safe.