Food poisoning

Les Picantins

This also reminds me when we were in Monte Carlo and seeing fellow cruise guests in line at McDonalds. Seriously?:eek:

The other side of the story is when we used to travel internationally 4-6 weeks at a time (20 years ago). After a couple of weeks, if we found a McDonald's, we raced there for some fries and a beer:) I guess it depends upon the circumstances. :)

The reaction of the girl to shrimp was definitely an allergic reaction, not food poisoning! She should never eat shrimp again, and should be tested for allergy to other shellfish as this could be life threatening.

My husband likes to sample McDonald's in different countries. Just his thing.

I can see that MacDonald's coffee would be a welcome respite after days of quaffing Regent's substandard brew.

Could not disagree more. Have you had a cup of McDonald's coffee lately? I did -- last week (first time in years). It was vile -- could not drink it. On other hand, if you prepare your own coffee in one of Regent's machines, you can come out with a decent if not good cup of coffee.

Could not disagree more. Have you had a cup of McDonald's coffee lately? I did -- last week (first time in years). It was vile -- could not drink it. On other hand, if you prepare your own coffee in one of Regent's machines, you can come out with a decent if not good cup of coffee.

Do you mean bring your own groceries on board? No way.

Yes, as others have posted, my adult daughter who had eaten shrimp many times before had an anaphylactic reaction to the shrimp she ate on a RCCL cruise. She has seen a doctor since the episode about this reaction. I am a registered nurse and recognized her reaction as serious and gave her benadryl. Since the infirmary was closed at the time of her reaction I had to call and get a doctor and nurse to meet us in the infirmary. The nurse had an IV in her quite quickly and the steroids were given promptly. Not all shrimp are the same, where the shrimp are grown and harvested does make a difference.

Call the emergency number on your phone or if not in the room and if in a public place a crew member will call. If in a corridor phones are located at or near elevators. A code will be sent out over the PA system announcing your location. The medical staff will be there very quickly with their grab and go medical bag.

We have seen medical issues on Regent and Crystal. Reaction time is very swift. The medical centers are staffed with nurses 24 hrs a day.

Edited by Suite Travels

Wow Jacquie times have changed. Didn't know you could get a beer at a Mickey Ds any where. Lead me to it:D

Rome by the Spanish Steps for one. They have fountains inside -- salads that they serve to you from large bowls -- great bread -- very different. This particular location has been on television several times. As I recall, one of the Mickey Ds in Amsterdam also have beer. It may be a European thing :)

Rome by the Spanish Steps for one. They have fountains inside -- salads that they serve to you from large bowls -- great bread -- very different. This particular location has been on television several times. As I recall, one of the Mickey Ds in Amsterdam also have beer. It may be a European thing :)

I wonder what else you can get at Mickey D's in Amsterdam? just teasing

• 2 weeks later...

When embarking in Istanbul a few years ago, we owned up to a cough and cold. We were taken straight up to the medical centre and had a throat swab taken.

All clear, but we did wonder what they would have done if anything had shown up.

As it turned out, we heard worse coughs than ours and wondered if they had been honest and ended up being swabbed.

• 4 months later...

Just back from our summer cruise. We sailed Crystal for the first time. While on board we met many people and shared many cruising tales. The typical questions: is this your first time on Crystal? What other lines have you sailed with? Which one is your favorite? etc... When asked what I thought about Regent, I explain the horrible way my husband was treated after reporting food poisoning to the ship's doctor (quarantine, men in masks ...). One lady I spoke to told me about her quarantine on a previous cruise with Crystal. The difference was that she was actually sick and contagious so she had no problem with the doctor's orders, PLUS she received a refund from Crystal shortly after her return home for the 2 days she was confined to her cabin!!!