Food poisoning

Les Picantins

The gentleman I spoke with explained that cruise ships that sail into US ports are subject to 2 surprise inspections per year. All complaints by passengers or crew go into the pre-inspection reports which can modify the areas they choose to inspect.

I brought a few other infractions to his attention that I have not mentioned on this board. He took note.

He also agreed that antibiotics would not be subscribed for a virus.

"ConsumerReports" checked chickens last year and found about 75 percent were contaminated with salmonella (not the lounge singer) but the toxin!

I never eat chicken ever!

Yes, this is correct.

Cooking it to the recommended temperature does kill the bacteria and the same is true of Turkey.

Further it is not recommended to wash the chicken as some people do because it can spread the bacteria to countertops and to other locations in the kitchen. For those who still want to clean the poultry they should be sure to clean all of the adjacent areas.

Personally, I love chicken and turkey and with proper care it has not been a problem and that includes using an accurate thermometer.

There are many toxins. One is cooking a baked potato and letting it sit out for too long.

Our son majored in Hospitality Services and has managed a restaurant and he has enhanced our education in this area. And as they say one is never too old to learn as we have from our son.

Keith

Edited by Keith1010

Keith -- thank you for bringing up the point regarding washing chicken. I was guilty of that for years. Although I thought I was being really good in terms of washing utensils, the cutting board and the counter, the "splash" from the sink could go anywhere. Now I simply pat the chicken dry with paper towels and proceed from there (and also put anything that we have cut off of the chicken into a plastic bag for disposal and keep it separate from other trash).

Now you have me thinking about turkey -- did not realize it was as bad as chicken. It is my favorite poultry :o

Please remember that things like e-coli are found in beef as well so it too has to be carefully prepared and also cooked to the proper temperature and that it is also found from time to time in vegetables. We too try to eat mostly organic but due so for mainly other reasons such as not having hormones meats/poultry that we eat or pesticides on vegetables/fruit.

Keith

Please remember that things like e-coli are found in beef as well so it too has to be carefully prepared and also cooked to the proper temperature and that it is also found from time to time in vegetables. We too try to eat mostly organic but due so for mainly other reasons such as not having hormones meats/poultry that we eat or pesticides on vegetables/fruit.

Keith

I agree about the additives etc

(I know none of us will live forever, but I'm trying!)

Yes, I have to add shrimp to the list of food poisoning culprits. My daughter ended up in the ships infirmary after eating a shrimp dish. Found out after her stay that several other passengers on the cruise also were sick after eating the same shrimp dish. My daughter had to receive IV steroids to treat her reaction.

I have cruised since then and will be cruising again this year. Although I generally avoid most meat in my diet and don't eat mayonnaise, I will be eating the food served on my next cruise. No matter how careful I am at selecting the foods I eat on a cruise, I don't think I can ever assure myself that I won't possible get food poisoning. But, I will not give up cruising or eating out!

You stated what I was afraid to post. Others on the cruise agreed that the reaction that my daughter and others had after eating the shrimp was most likely caused by where the shrimp were farmed. The reality of poor conditions (and cruelty to animals) in factory farmed meats, seafood and eggs is why I try to avoid factory farmed products in my diet.

My daughter was not quarantined by the cruise personnel; however she quarantined herself to our cabin for about 18 hours after her 4 hours spent in the infirmary because she was still quite red and swollen from the reaction she had. Prior to the effect of the IV steroids she received, her face was so swollen that her eyes would only open a tiny slit and she had trouble breathing.

Let's not blow this out of proportion. While not trying to diminish the OPS experience, how many times have we heard of someone getting food poisoning on Regent over the past 10 years? Unlike restaurants on land, cruise lines serve food to their passengers 24/7 - 365 days a year. It is for this reason that I agreed with Ted about the safety of food on Regent ships. Having said that, we still eat off of the ship and enjoy food in many countries in the world.

We had been at sea for two days and I had not eaten off the ship. It ruined a day of the trip. fortunately it was a sea day. So people do get food poisoning on the ship. My husband and friends were fine. I was too pretty quickly.

My daughter was not quarantined by the cruise personnel; however she quarantined herself to our cabin for about 18 hours after her 4 hours spent in the infirmary because she was still quite red and swollen from the reaction she had. Prior to the effect of the IV steroids she received, her face was so swollen that her eyes would only open a tiny slit and she had trouble breathing.

I Hope she was seen by a Dr. when she got home. It sounds like an allergic reaction to the shrimp, and she could get it again, worse, if she eats shrimp again??? In that case it would not have been anything wrong with the shrimp.

It is so interesting to read three reviews of the same cruise..... a one star review, a three star review and a five star review. I'd like to comment on all three reviews.

The food poisoning issue has been addressed on this thread so I won't comment further other to say that it is unfortunate and should not have happened. We are thankful that this has not happened to us on our 250+ nights onboard Regent ships.

Excursions...... I am not a fan of included excursions and find that they are better in some parts of the world than other parts. The Caribbean has so much competition with the mega-ships that I would imagine that it would be difficult to get good tour operators. This is one area where Regent could possibly benefit from being owned by NCL. If I were a tour operator that could provide my services to a ship with 3000+ passengers or a ship with 700 passengers, it is obvious which cruise line I would contract with. However, if NCL's contracts were extended to Regent, they might be able to get the tour operators that the larger cruise lines are able to snag (assuming they are better than what Regent currently uses). I am not surprised to read negative comments about excursions on this cruise.

There was a comment about how crowded La Veranda was. This has been mentioned multiple times on the Regent boards. Some of the public areas on the Navigator are too small to accommodate the number of passengers on board and I cannot see that changing. If you want to sail on the Navigator, this is something you need to consider.

As we all know, nothing can be done about weather. Many times it may appear that the ship can tender but the weather does a quick change and it is no longer possible to do so.

When we decided to go to the Caribbean in late November, knowing what we know about the area and the Navigator, we sailed on Oceania. We may have selected the Navigator if we could have opted out of excursions.

Edited by Travelcat2

I cannot possibly imagine spending two weeks in the Mediterranean and not eating in Italy or France. Why on earth travel halfway across the world to eat only on the ship where one is served upscale US-based institutional food? I am not saying I do not enjoy the food on Regent because I rather like it; however, I would never pass up a wood-fired Sicilian pizza in order to make it back to the ship in time for lunch in Compass Rose.

+1000

Trade a beautiful seafood lunch at Amalfi for a hotdog on the ship... might as well just stay home.

Your daughter had an allergic reaction to the shrimp. That is why she was given steroids.

I would suggest you have her tested and refrain from eating shrimp or other shellfish until she is tested.

Edited by commodore2010

+1000

Trade a beautiful seafood lunch at Amalfi for a hotdog on the ship... might as well just stay home.

We have seen people run back to the ship to not miss a meal onboard. As you said, I would rather stay at home. You can tell those people are not well traveled. We do our research on the resturants before we leave home on Tripadvisor and read the comments and pick our dining venues carefully.

We have seen people run back to the ship to not miss a meal onboard. As you said, I would rather stay at home. You can tell those people are not well traveled. We do our research on the resturants before we leave home on Tripadvisor and read the comments and pick our dining venues carefully.

We do exactly the same thing. We also research the michelin guide for the cities that we will be in and make advanced reservations.

BTW - When I first started cruising, I was one of those who ran back to the ship for meals. :)

Edited by commodore2010