CAPE LIBERTY 411 (and NYC too) Version 4!!

megr1125

Where exactly do you live? How long does it take to drive to Cape Liberty? What day of the week are you sailing?

Hope you're booked on the Liberty and not the Explorer!

Yup! Brain blink. Happens all too often lately. Explorer was last year.

DD lives about 25 minutes from Bayonne, so about an hour to drive back and get them. We're sailing on a Thursday.

Edited by NewSalt

I wanted to put this out there for suggestions. My DH and I are cruising out of Cape Liberty in September for a 10 night cruise to New England/Canada. This is one way. We will be flying from Quebec to Newark.

I am looking at all the parking options. We live in Southern New Jersey so we will be driving up in the morning. I am tossing around a few options of ---

1. parking at Cape Liberty, which would involve taking a cab from the airport to get our car

2. Finding parking at the airport and taking a cab to Cape Liberty

I was wondering estimated cab costs from the airport to the port.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

I wanted to put this out there for suggestions. My DH and I are cruising out of Cape Liberty in September for a 10 night cruise to New England/Canada. This is one way. We will be flying from Quebec to Newark.

I am looking at all the parking options. We live in Southern New Jersey so we will be driving up in the morning. I am tossing around a few options of ---

1. parking at Cape Liberty, which would involve taking a cab from the airport to get our car

2. Finding parking at the airport and taking a cab to Cape Liberty

I was wondering estimated cab costs from the airport to the port.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

I'm pretty sure you can't park at Cape Liberty for a one way cruise. The port is a secured area - it is not public parking. You should do long term parking at the airport - check around for deals. Some of the hotels offer parking for a reasonable price - you might prefer that to a random airport lot. Buying a cruise transfer would also be an option.

I'm pretty sure you can't park at Cape Liberty for a one way cruise. The port is a secured area - it is not public parking. You should do long term parking at the airport - check around for deals. Some of the hotels offer parking for a reasonable price - you might prefer that to a random airport lot. Buying a cruise transfer would also be an option.

Thanks. I totally forgot that part for the one way cruise. I have started to do some research on the different parking lots at the airport. I am also working on comparing prices for round trip car transportation as well.

The Renaissance thru airportparkingreservations is excellent and it really is that inexpensive. We've used them several times and lots of pilots use them.

I thought I might have left my trunk open, called them from the airport and their security went and checked, made sure all the doors were locked and called me back to confirm.

Read the reviews on the site-they're highly rated. When you land go to p4 parking area and ring them for pickup. Wait is 10-15 mins. Search for a $5 off coupon online! They email them to me every week.

The Renaissance thru airportparkingreservations is excellent and it really is that inexpensive. We've used them several times and lots of pilots use them.

I thought I might have left my trunk open, called them from the airport and their security went and checked, made sure all the doors were locked and called me back to confirm.

Read the reviews on the site-they're highly rated. When you land go to p4 parking area and ring them for pickup. Wait is 10-15 mins. Search for a $5 off coupon online! They email them to me every week.

Thank you guys for the advice. I booked parking at The Renaissance and found the $5.00 off coupon. Can't beat the price for 11 days!

Great. Some tips for driving around there... Getting there is easy. After exit 13a off tpk, you're on 1&9 north. Take the McClellan St exit, which crosses over 1&9 and then take a quick left onto the access road going alongside 1&9 south called Spring Street. Enter hotel parking lot from that road.

Coming home, you'll exit parking lot onto Spring St. South. You need to get on North Ave east but you can't make a left from Spring. But you can make a left from the adjacent side streets where they have lights at each corner.

So from Spring, do a right-left-left to get onto North Ave going east. Stay on it straight to the turnpike entrance. Check it on google maps and hopefully will make sense.

Have a great trip!

Oh, and those side streets are all one way. So make sure the map you're looking at shows the arrows so you know which turns you can make. From Spring I've taken very first right onto Neck Ln to Alina (left) to Jackson (left) which goes to North.

We have just booked transatlantic on Anthem so know that the disembarkment will take forever ( especially being British). We are going up to cape cod to see friends then coming back to NYC for 4 days before flying out of Newark.

I would appreciate ideas as to car rental pick up. We will probably walk off with luggage to hopefully ease the traffic congestion. Of course we have to return car back to wherever unless we choose a hotel near a rental office.

Help!!!! The more I write the more worried I become. dH is great driving on American roads but it is always nerve wrecking in a big city.

We have just booked transatlantic on Anthem so know that the disembarkment will take forever ( especially being British). We are going up to cape cod to see friends then coming back to NYC for 4 days before flying out of Newark.

I would appreciate ideas as to car rental pick up. We will probably walk off with luggage to hopefully ease the traffic congestion. Of course we have to return car back to wherever unless we choose a hotel near a rental office.

Help!!!! The more I write the more worried I become. dH is great driving on American roads but it is always nerve wrecking in a big city.

There are no car rental facilities at the cruise port. Since you'll be flying home from EWR, I'd suggest picking up (and dropping off) your rental car at the airport. All the major car rental companies have locations at or near the airport.

You can take a taxi, cruise line transfers or a shared ride shuttle from the port to the airport.

There are no car rental facilities at the cruise port. Since you'll be flying home from EWR, I'd suggest picking up (and dropping off) your rental car at the airport. All the major car rental companies have locations at or near the airport.

You can take a taxi, cruise line transfers or a shared ride shuttle from the port to the airport.

Thank you for coming back so quickly. I have read that their are shuttles at cost of $26 so we will do that probably.

We are arriving in Port Liberty by Serenade of the Seas on September 15th and will stay in a hotel in Manhattan for two nights . What will be the best and less expensive way to go to our hotel: by taxi or limoservice? We are with four adults and have probably six Suitcases . I have heard that taxi's can double the rate because they have to travel through two states. I found out limoservice will cost at least $ 195 without tip and toll. This is rather expensive if I looked it up Correctly. Maybe there are already answers on this question, but I couldn't read all the 36 pages. If so, please tell me where I can find the answer. Thanks in advance.

We are arriving in Port Liberty by Serenade of the Seas on September 15th and will stay in a hotel in Manhattan for two nights . What will be the best and less expensive way to go to our hotel: by taxi or limoservice? We are with four adults and have probably six Suitcases . I have heard that taxi's can double the rate because they have to travel through two states. I found out limoservice will cost at least $ 195 without tip and toll. This is rather expensive if I looked it up Correctly. Maybe there are already answers on this question, but I couldn't read all the 36 pages. If so, please tell me where I can find the answer. Thanks in advance.

You can't take a taxi because 4 people with 6 pieces of luggage can't fit in a taxi.

Try booking a car through Carmel Limo http://www.carmellimo.com . You should be able to get a mini van or SUV to the Hilton Hotel in midtown Manhattan for well under $100, plus tolls and tip. I just did a test booking on their site and was quoted $61 for a mini van and $83 for an SUV . Figure to add on about $20 for tolls and 20% of the fare for the tip. Here's the quote:

https://www.carmellimo.com/WebApp/Job_Pricing.jsp?uqid=-7703050652802021661

We are arriving in Port Liberty by Serenade of the Seas on September 15th and will stay in a hotel in Manhattan for two nights . What will be the best and less expensive way to go to our hotel: by taxi or limoservice? ... limoservice will cost at least $ 195 without tip and toll. This is rather expensive if I looked it up Correctly. Maybe there are already answers on this question, but I couldn't read all the 36 pages. If so, please tell me where I can find the answer. Thanks in advance.

Our Frequent Flyer regulars along with CC's generally endorse & recommend one of two major licensed car service with good track records in the Tri-state NY area, we personally used mainly Carmel Limo/Car Service & found them reliable & reasonably priced, 95% on-time for pickup as scheduled. Dial 7 is the other service fellow CC's also used.

A car service would be the least expensive option - especially when split by 3 or 4 people - a minivan will seat up to 6 plus 1 average sized suitcase & a Euro-sized carryon. I ran a quick price quote, showing a base fare of $61 from port to the Grand Hyatt Hotel @ Grand Central/42nd. Street (rates will be a little lower for Times Square area as it's a little closer) for the minivan + toll (under $20, including the tunnel to NY as one-way) - add 20% tipping, coming to around $95 all inclusive, definitely no more than $100 USD - more than 50% saved over the limo. Taxi traveling from NJ to NY will cost more as they have special rates as it will be going back to NJ empty without passengers, etc. - plus, you won't fit into one as NJH was typing away like I do above.

Carmel has a free mobile APP, very user friendly but as oversea visitors - you might not have roaming data access, just pre-book ahead online and call to confirm exact pickup time after disembarkation on the pier, they can generally dispatch & have a car there in 15 minutes, etc. https://www.carmellimo.com/WebApp/Job_Pricing.jsp?uqid=6639444782499640963

One last thing, you are arriving on a Tuesday - being a work week, there is no need to rush off the ship - clearing immigration & custom formality do take time, enjoy the last morning & eat a nice breakfast, then plan to be off the ship later in the morning to avoid the morning rush hour traffic coming into NYC, something like 11:00 or 11:30 would be good - travel time should be under 45 minutes, maybe 1 hour at most under typical conditions depending on your exact hotel location, Google is your friend for mapping the route.

Edited by mking8288

borh of you thank you very much for your quick reply. I will contact carmellino limo's. They have a good price. And we defenitely won't leave the ship too early, thanks to you. Our hotel is near Herald Square. I found out hotels are very expensive at that time. A view years ago we almost could stay four nights for the same price we have to pay now for two nights. Will there be a special event in New York than?

Do you know if there are good and reasobabke princed hotels in Brooklyn / Brooklyn Heights or Queens in a safe neighbourhood and with good connection to Manhattan? Thanks again. Joyce

What is the cheapest way to get to port liberty from NYC? Plan is to take metro north to grand central then what? Path to jersey? The to port?

Or what?

Lifelong northern NYC suburbs dwellers and know NYC very well but for this trip looking for the least expensive way to get my 25 yo and her friend to port liberty.

I guess I could drop them off but they are very self sufficient and are used to making their way via public transport in large cities as grad students. They will figure it out of course but I would actually like to know for myself too as we would like to cruise from there someday too

Tia

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi all!

We are going on the Summit Aug 2 and will be driving to Cape Liberty from NW CT (rural). I did the drive years ago on a Thursday morning with little kids in the car and it took me 3 days to recover. Just me and hubby this time and on a Sunday morning so I expect it will be much easier. Still, am considering getting across the bridge Sat eve - maybe Nyack area? Not a fan of city driving or having to make split second decisions in fast traffic. i.e. Boston type traffic - sorry Carol. Seriously not a fan of having to correct wrong decisions with or without traffic. Easy driving is way more important to me than fast. I plan to get an EZPass. We have GPS, a good car, and even though it may not sound like it, I am the family driver and always have been. We like to get to the port early.

With all this in mind, here are my questions:

Tappen Zee instead of the GW?

Garden State?

I see directions going through Stamford on 95 instead of 84 to 684 - never done that - compare for me please.

How far is Cape Liberty from the Nyack area time wise?

Better place to stay? We like Hampton Inns.

Suggestions please!

Carmel Limo also has a $5 coupon available to print from the web. Just google Carmel Limo discounts and you will find it. I have used it successfully once. You print it then add the code they give you to the coupon and give it to your driver at the end of your ride.

Hi all!

We are going on the Summit Aug 2 and will be driving to Cape Liberty from NW CT (rural). I did the drive years ago on a Thursday morning with little kids in the car and it took me 3 days to recover. Just me and hubby this time and on a Sunday morning so I expect it will be much easier. Still, am considering getting across the bridge Sat eve - maybe Nyack area? Not a fan of city driving or having to make split second decisions in fast traffic. i.e. Boston type traffic - sorry Carol. Seriously not a fan of having to correct wrong decisions with or without traffic. Easy driving is way more important to me than fast. I plan to get an EZPass. We have GPS, a good car, and even though it may not sound like it, I am the family driver and always have been. We like to get to the port early.

With all this in mind, here are my questions:

Tappen Zee instead of the GW?

Garden State?

I see directions going through Stamford on 95 instead of 84 to 684 - never done that - compare for me please.

How far is Cape Liberty from the Nyack area time wise?

Better place to stay? We like Hampton Inns.

Suggestions please!

We live in Stamford. First off it takes forever to get to 684 to 84 (for us) and puts us out of the way. We'd be half way to Bayonne by then. Also, I would never take the Tappan Zee bridge to get to Bayonne. Unless of course the GWB was totally shut down and impassable.

Not sure what is closer for you to pick up but we always go I-95 straight over the GWB to exit 14 A. We just drove Sunday, May 24th and came home Sunday, May 31st. It took us one hour and 5 minutes to get there and the same to get home. We have EZ Pass which is the greatest invention since sliced bread.

We have cruised out of Cape Liberty 12 times and only once it took us 2 1/2 hours because it was a Saturday morning and 2 lanes of the upper level GWB were closed until 10:00 AM for construction. On a Sunday you will not have this problem.

borh of you thank you very much for your quick reply. I will contact carmellino limo's. They have a good price. And we defenitely won't leave the ship too early, thanks to you. Our hotel is near Herald Square. I found out hotels are very expensive at that time. A view years ago we almost could stay four nights for the same price we have to pay now for two nights. Will there be a special event in New York than?

Do you know if there are good and reasobabke princed hotels in Brooklyn / Brooklyn Heights or Queens in a safe neighbourhood and with good connection to Manhattan? Thanks again. Joyce

You're scheduled to be in NY during the United Nations General Assembly meeting and Mercedes Benz Fashion Week, so this is a a time of the year when hotel rooms are hard to come by and prices are high.

You may want to look at hotels in Jersey City rather than staying in NY. There's excellent transportation from there into Manhattan via the PATH train.

What is the cheapest way to get to port liberty from NYC? Plan is to take metro north to grand central then what? Path to jersey? The to port?

Or what?

Lifelong northern NYC suburbs dwellers and know NYC very well but for this trip looking for the least expensive way to get my 25 yo and her friend to port liberty.

I guess I could drop them off but they are very self sufficient and are used to making their way via public transport in large cities as grad students. They will figure it out of course but I would actually like to know for myself too as we would like to cruise from there someday too

Tia

Sent from my iPad using Forums

From Grand Central Station they can walk or take a taxi to Herald Square. Take the PATH train from there to Hoboken, then from Hoboken take the Hudson-Bergen Light Rail to 34th St. in Bayonne. From there they'll have to take a short taxi ride to the cruise terminal.

As an aside, the name of the port is Cape Liberty, not Port Liberty. If someone puts "Port Liberty" into their GPS or favorite mapping program they may get directions to a different place, Port Liberte, which is in Jersey City.

We live in Stamford. First off it takes forever to get to 684 to 84 (for us) and puts us out of the way. We'd be half way to Bayonne by then. Also, I would never take the Tappan Zee bridge to get to Bayonne. Unless of course the GWB was totally shut down and impassable.

Not sure what is closer for you to pick up but we always go I-95 straight over the GWB to exit 14 A. We just drove Sunday, May 24th and came home Sunday, May 31st. It took us one hour and 5 minutes to get there and the same to get home. We have EZ Pass which is the greatest invention since sliced bread.

We have cruised out of Cape Liberty 12 times and only once it took us 2 1/2 hours because it was a Saturday morning and 2 lanes of the upper level GWB were closed until 10:00 AM for construction. On a Sunday you will not have this problem.

We come down 8 and go through Waterbury. If you lived in Waterbury how would you go?

So, 95 dumps you on the NJT?

We come down 8 and go through Waterbury. If you lived in Waterbury how would you go?

So, 95 dumps you on the NJT?

Yes, I-95 is basically a straight shot over the GWB and on to the Jersey Turnpike. But we have done this 1,000 times since my DH is a Jets Fan, so we are use to it.

Having said that since you are coming from Waterbury is a different story. You are right you could take the 84 to 684 to the Saw Mill to get to the GWB over to New Jersey and then pick up the New Jersey Turnpike. Or you could take route 8 all way down to pick up I-95. All depends on which you are most comfortable with.