CAPE LIBERTY 411 (and NYC too) Version 4!!

megr1125

Carol or any other Cape Liberty guru:

We'll be driving in from the west, specifically from northeast PA via I-80. I know this question has probably been answered, but I can't seem to find the answer.

Ye Olde Google Maps is suggesting the following route:

1. I-80 East to I-287 South
  2. I-287 South to NJ Route 24 East
  3. NJ Route 24 East to I-78 East
  4. I-78 East to Exit 14A

From Exit 14A, we would follow your excellent directions.

Is this route correct, or do you suggest something else?

That sounds like a reasonable route on a Sat morning. However, you need advice from the locals that do this trip more regularly than I do.

We are driving from Boston to Cape Liberty on 8/13/115 and heard there is heavy construction going on at exit 14 A. Can any confirm this and if so is there a detour we can use Thanks

dwardlaw, are you going on Liberty? We'll be driving down from Southern NH at 6-6:30AM, hoping to get to the port area around 10:30-11. I remember Carol's advice to not cross the CT-NY border before 9AM :)

Thank you, Carol and others, for very detailed and up-to-date driving and construction information!

Hi,

We're touring the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island starting at 10:00 on the day before our cruise, and would like some recommendations for a late lunch or early dinner along the route between Battery Park and the WTC PATH station.

Since we're not from the area, I know we'll probably have sticker shock at the NYC restaurant prices, so we're not looking for anything fancy, just good food. Preferably no sushi or indian food recommendations pls.

Thank you

Nancy

Hi,

We're touring the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island starting at 10:00 on the day before our cruise, and would like some recommendations for a late lunch or early dinner along the route between Battery Park and the WTC PATH station.

Since we're not from the area, I know we'll probably have sticker shock at the NYC restaurant prices, so we're not looking for anything fancy, just good food. Preferably no sushi or indian food recommendations pls.

Thank you

Nancy

I haven't had lunch in this area since I worked there, but here are some suggestions from Yelp

http://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc=restaurants+near+wall+street&find_loc=New+York%2C+NY

You might enjoy the South Street Seaport - http://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc=South+Street+Seaport+Restaurant&find_loc=New+York%2C+NYo

Carol or any other Cape Liberty guru:

We'll be driving in from the west, specifically from northeast PA via I-80. I know this question has probably been answered, but I can't seem to find the answer.

Ye Olde Google Maps is suggesting the following route:

1. I-80 East to I-287 South
  2. I-287 South to NJ Route 24 East
  3. NJ Route 24 East to I-78 East
  4. I-78 East to Exit 14A

From Exit 14A, we would follow your excellent directions.

Is this route correct, or do you suggest something else?

That is the route we take to get to the port. You'll be fine with those directions.

At this time, the construction is in the early stages, so you shouldn't have too many issues. During the week, truck traffic going into the port has slowed down traffic at 14A. On the weekends, there are lane closures that may cause some delays. Regardless, give yourself enough time to get to the port.

Hi Sean & Ian we well be on the same ship. We are also leaving around 6:00 Am the last time we went It took 51/2 hours to get there traffic & all. We are using 138 driving directions. We used them once before and they where great, but got stuck in some construction on the Merrideth but not bad. lots of stop along the way if needed

We are traveling in 2 cars there are 10 of us going. My son is getting married in Bermuda

See you on board,

Hi! We are going to be sailing out of Bayonne in November and I really wanted to be able to see the Statue of Liberty while we were in the NYC area. Work however had other plans, so we are only flying in the day ahead and will not have time to get out to see the actual statue. Will we be able to see her from the ship? Even a little bit? What else might we get to see?

Hi! We are going to be sailing out of Bayonne in November and I really wanted to be able to see the Statue of Liberty while we were in the NYC area. Work however had other plans, so we are only flying in the day ahead and will not have time to get out to see the actual statue. Will we be able to see her from the ship? Even a little bit? What else might we get to see?

You will be able to see the SOL from a distance from the ship when it is docked at Cape Liberty. You can see downtown Manhattan, the Empire State in the far distance, and the ship will sail under the Verrazano Bridge.

Where are you staying? In the past folks who really wanted to see the Statue up close have arranged a cab to Liberty State Park, taken the ferry out to the SOL, and had a cab pick them up. These folks stayed in Jersey City precruise, so they were able to leave their luggage at the hotel. The security for the SOL is very strict.

Edited by 138east

Hi Sean & Ian we well be on the same ship. We are also leaving around 6:00 Am the last time we went It took 51/2 hours to get there traffic & all. We are using 138 driving directions. We used them once before and they where great, but got stuck in some construction on the Merrideth but not bad. lots of stop along the way if needed

We are traveling in 2 cars there are 10 of us going. My son is getting married in Bermuda

See you on board,

Wow, 5 1/2 hours!?!? Good to know; thank you for sharing that. We will be using Carol's directions + Waze :) And, congratulations on your son's wedding!!!

That is the route we take to get to the port. You'll be fine with those directions.

Thank you for the confirmation. :)

Keep the radio turned to 1010 or 880 AM radio when you are within range

I'll make a note of that...

If you have a Smart Phone the best thing is to download the Waze app. It alerts you to hazards, accidents, etc. We have it set to "fastest way" to get somewhere and it has come in handy many times (not going to the port) in our travels.

The DW and I have both used Waze in the past (we were both "royalty") but it's been a while since I've used it. Maybe I'll load it back up on the phone...

We aren't getting into NJ until 5:30 or so the day before the cruise which is too late for the ferries from what I can tell. We are staying at the Newark airport Hilton.

A 5:30 arrival will not too late for the Staten Island Ferry, but it will be dark. However, remember that coming from MST you will think it's three hours earlier (East Coast will still be on EDT) which would be 2:30 MDT. It would be possible to take the train or a cab to Newark Penn Station, PATH to World Trade, and a cab or bus or walk to South Ferry to catch the ferry for a free round trip across NY Harbor.

I have booked a car service from Cape Liberty to LaGuardia for early morning on Oct. 11. Hoping there is no delays with the traffic

Interesting though. Shortly after I booked the car service, I received an email from them to inform me that they show no records of the Caribbean Princess arriving at Cape Liberty. I wrote back to inform them that this was a recent change made by Princess and in fact it was and still is scheduled to arrive on Oct. 11 at @ 7 am.

Just wondering if others who have made transfer arrangements have had similar concerns from their transfer agents?

Hello All!

I posted awhile back about booking a hotel in Newark (thanks for the input) and have made the decision of:

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Newark Airport, Elizabeth

Arriving in Newark Wednesday January 13, 2016 - staying 2 nights

Boarding Anthem of the Seas on January 15

I have been reading all the posts but am just hoping for clarification on the best way of getting from the hotel to the pier. There are just two of us, but we will have large suitcases, so i am not sure multiple transit boardings would work...but i guess it all comes down to cost :)

For sightseeing I am hoping to see the statue of liberty.

Any suggestions on transit to the location from our hotel if i purchase tickets off the website?

Any suggestions for other sites that would not be too complicated to get to?

Thanks very much in advance

Happy Cruising!

Brenna

Hello All!

I posted awhile back about booking a hotel in Newark (thanks for the input) and have made the decision of:

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Newark Airport, Elizabeth

Arriving in Newark Wednesday January 13, 2016 - staying 2 nights

Boarding Anthem of the Seas on January 15

I have been reading all the posts but am just hoping for clarification on the best way of getting from the hotel to the pier. There are just two of us, but we will have large suitcases, so i am not sure multiple transit boardings would work...but i guess it all comes down to cost :)

For sightseeing I am hoping to see the statue of liberty.

Any suggestions on transit to the location from our hotel if i purchase tickets off the website?

Any suggestions for other sites that would not be too complicated to get to?

Thanks very much in advance

Happy Cruising!

Brenna

I'm assuming you are flying into Newark Airport? What are you paying tax included for the hotel?

Country Inns will probably sell you a round trip port transfer for 2 for $70.

To get to the SOL you have to take the hotel shuttle back to the P4 Airtrain Station, take Airtrain one stop to the Newark Airport Station, take the NJ transit train one stop to Newark Penn Station ($8.25), and take Path to the World Trade Center ($2.75). From there you walk to Battery Park to catch the SOL ferry. While you're in lower Manhattan you can see the 911 memorial and museum.

I'm assuming you are flying into Newark Airport? What are you paying tax included for the hotel?

Country Inns will probably sell you a round trip port transfer for 2 for $70.

To get to the SOL you have to take the hotel shuttle back to the P4 Airtrain Station, take Airtrain one stop to the Newark Airport Station, take the NJ transit train one stop to Newark Penn Station ($8.25), and take Path to the World Trade Center ($2.75). From there you walk to Battery Park to catch the SOL ferry. While you're in lower Manhattan you can see the 911 memorial and museum.

Thanks for the quick response!

Yes, we are flying into EWR. Cost is 140/night

I am just looking for a one way transfer...is that something i can just book when we checkin or do i need to call in advance (approximate cost?).

I am unfamiliar with transit system...so when i get off the Airtrain at Newark Airport Station there is another NJ transit train at the same location? What is Path?

Those are great suggestions!

Thank you again

Thanks for the quick response!

Yes, we are flying into EWR. Cost is 140/night

I am just looking for a one way transfer...is that something i can just book when we checkin or do i need to call in advance (approximate cost?).

I am unfamiliar with transit system...so when i get off the Airtrain at Newark Airport Station there is another NJ transit train at the same location? What is Path?

Those are great suggestions!

Thank you again

It looks like you have prepaid your room for two nights. Call the hotel to see what they can do for you about a transfer.

Airtrain is the free monorail train around the airport. http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/AirTrain-Map.pdf

The Newark Airport station has both NJ Transit and Amtrak train service. http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/rail/Rail_System_Map.pdf

PATH is a subway that goes from Newark to World Trade Center. You connect at Newark Penn Station, usually across the track. http://www.panynj.gov/path/maps-schedules.html

At what time on embarkation morning can you arrive at Cape Liberty and park the car and get rid of luggage? I'm not going to be there at six AM but I am an overplanner and we are staying an hour away the night before. I'd rather have that hours trip behind me and be at the pier with ample time. Don't mind waiting or people watching.......but I do aim to be in that "suite line"😍!