CAPE LIBERTY 411 (and NYC too) Version 4!!

megr1125

The package is called the sleep and cruise package. It is for 2 people and is $70 more than the base room rate. However, folks have booked Country Inns from other sites and arranged the transfer directly with the hotel for $70.

Trinity reservations offers a park/sleep/cruise at the Ramada Plaza that is quoted Tax Included. This price is often a lot less than the Country Inns sleep/cruise package which is quoted without tax ($30-35).

The package is called the sleep and cruise package. It is for 2 people and is $70 more than the base room rate. However, folks have booked Country Inns from other sites and arranged the transfer directly with the hotel for $70.

Trinity reservations offers a park/sleep/cruise at the Ramada Plaza that is quoted Tax Included. This price is often a lot less than the Country Inns sleep/cruise package which is quoted without tax ($30-35).

But we would only need one way...hotel to pier as Celebrity offers a shuttle to the airport that way we don't have to keep offloading our luggage and loading onto another shuttle. Before I book I will call the hotel to make sure I can do 2 people just hotel to pier.

But we would only need one way...hotel to pier as Celebrity offers a shuttle to the airport that way we don't have to keep offloading our luggage and loading onto another shuttle. Before I book I will call the hotel to make sure I can do 2 people just hotel to pier.

Definitely call Country Inns to see what they can offer you. You will not be the only people who have no car and want to go directly to the airport. I'm sure they can accommodate you in some way - I've heard mention of return vouchers. The Celebrity transfer is probably $28.50/pp.

Definitely call Country Inns to see what they can offer you. You will not be the only people who have no car and want to go directly to the airport. I'm sure they can accommodate you in some way - I've heard mention of return vouchers. The Celebrity transfer is probably $28.50/pp.

Celebrity is $29pp but the price to do a car service was more than that so we figured free hotel shuttle from airport to hotel, from pier to airport use the Celebrity shuttle so our only missing link was hotel to pier...which I did get a quote on from one of the car services mentioned here and one that someone who lives there uses, loves them. But if the hotel can do it $17.50 pp all inclusive of tolls then that is cheaper than the car service :D...so when it gets closer I will verify with the hotel they can or still do offer the 1 way to the pier if not I have my backup with the car service.

Celebrity is $29pp but the price to do a car service was more than that so we figured free hotel shuttle from airport to hotel, from pier to airport use the Celebrity shuttle so our only missing link was hotel to pier...which I did get a quote on from one of the car services mentioned here and one that someone who lives there uses, loves them. But if the hotel can do it $17.50 pp all inclusive of tolls then that is cheaper than the car service :D...so when it gets closer I will verify with the hotel they can or still do offer the 1 way to the pier if not I have my backup with the car service.

I don't think I was clear enough. Country Inns may be able to take you from the hotel to the port and from the port to the airport for $35/pp round trip. You have to call them. They do not use their own hotel shuttle. For each cruise date they look at how many people need transportation and order up a vehicle or vehicles to accommodate the group. Coming back they know some people will want to go to the hotel to pick up cars and some people will want to go directly to the airport, so they have a plan for that.

I don't think I was clear enough. Country Inns may be able to take you from the hotel to the port and from the port to the airport for $35/pp round trip. You have to call them. They do not use their own hotel shuttle. For each cruise date they look at how many people need transportation and order up a vehicle or vehicles to accommodate the group. Coming back they know some people will want to go to the hotel to pick up cars and some people will want to go directly to the airport, so they have a plan for that.

Ah yes ok no I didn't get that reading the post...I will for sure check that out..putting it my notes of things...:D

Hi all,

My boyfriend and I are going to be on the Nov 30th cruise and were wondering if we could please get some advice/feedback for our plans below.

Departure: Rent a car from Alamo-LGA ($55) the day before, spend the night somewhere nearby in NJ, and then return the car to EWR and cab ($40?) to the port the next day. Alternatively, could we drop off our luggage first and find an less expensive way to get from EWR to the port?

A car service wouldn't work as we are coming from Queens and plan to go to Medieval Times the night before the cruise.

Return: Cab to EWR ($40), rent car from Alamo ($69), return to JFK. One of us is returning to Queens while the other will need to catch the flight out of JFK so a car service will likely be more pricey for the 2 stops we'd need to make.

As far as my research shows, this looks like our most inexpensive and convenient option. If anyone else has a better recommendation, please do share!

Thanks all kindly in advance!

Hi all,

My boyfriend and I are going to be on the Nov 30th cruise and were wondering if we could please get some advice/feedback for our plans below.

Departure: Rent a car from Alamo-LGA ($55) the day before, spend the night somewhere nearby in NJ, and then return the car to EWR and cab ($40?) to the port the next day. Alternatively, could we drop off our luggage first and find an less expensive way to get from EWR to the port?

A car service wouldn't work as we are coming from Queens and plan to go to Medieval Times the night before the cruise.

Return: Cab to EWR ($40), rent car from Alamo ($69), return to JFK. One of us is returning to Queens while the other will need to catch the flight out of JFK so a car service will likely be more pricey for the 2 stops we'd need to make.

As far as my research shows, this looks like our most inexpensive and convenient option. If anyone else has a better recommendation, please do share!

Thanks all kindly in advance!

Cab to and from the port will run about $55-60 each way including tip and tolls.

One possibility is to book the park/sleep/cruise with trinityreservations.com for $202 tax included to get your hotel and round trip port transportation. How early is the flight from JFK?

Cab to and from the port will run about $55-60 each way including tip and tolls.

One possibility is to book the park/sleep/cruise with trinityreservations.com for $202 tax included to get your hotel and round trip port transportation. How early is the flight from JFK?

Thanks for the suggestion, Carol! Unfortunately the park, sleep, cruise would mean renting the car for almost 2 weeks which would be pretty expensive. :(

Are there shuttles from EWR to the port for less than $50-$60?

Our flight leaving JFK is at 8pm so we should be safe there (I hope!).

Edited by cuculola

I contacted the hotel and they did say that they would take us directly to the airport when we return on the ship. Also asked if we booked the hotel through a discount site if we can still book the transfers at the hotel directly at check in. ..they said yes..yeah!!

I contacted the hotel and they did say that they would take us directly to the airport when we return on the ship. Also asked if we booked the hotel through a discount site if we can still book the transfers at the hotel directly at check in. ..they said yes..yeah!!

Good job! Folks have reported being able to do this, but you can't do it without calling the hotel.

Thanks for the suggestion, Carol! Unfortunately the park, sleep, cruise would mean renting the car for almost 2 weeks which would be pretty expensive. :(

You don't need a car to book a park, sleep, cruise!!! Return the car at the airport and rent another when you get back. The only problem I see is getting up early enough to return the car at the airport and getting yourselves back to the hotel via Airtrain and hotel shuttle in time to make the port shuttle from the hotel. If you email the Trinityreservations folks ( very nice people), they will tell you what time the shuttle leaves for the port.

I gather you are on a budget. The Trinity deal is the least expensive way to get your round trip port transportation AND a decent hotel room at the airport. You do NOT want to be booking a cheap hotel in this area, because what you get will be a CHEAP hotel. Hotel taxes run about 15%. Your original taxi budget was $40 each way, so in effect you would end up paying $106 for the hotel plus $16 tax for the $202 price not using the parking. This is a good deal.

No shuttles for two from the port to the airport for less than $50-60.

More questions - do you have actual experience driving in the NY metro area? Do you have experience driving from JFK through NYC to Lyndhurst NJ, then negotiating Newark Airport, and then finding your way back to somewhere in Queens and on to JFK?

Don't forget to figure in the tolls when planning your budget

You don't need a car to book a park, sleep, cruise!!! Return the car at the airport and rent another when you get back. The only problem I see is getting up early enough to return the car at the airport and getting yourselves back to the hotel via Airtrain and hotel shuttle in time to make the port shuttle from the hotel. If you email the Trinityreservations folks ( very nice people), they will tell you what time the shuttle leaves for the port.

I gather you are on a budget. The Trinity deal is the least expensive way to get your round trip port transportation AND a decent hotel room at the airport. You do NOT want to be booking a cheap hotel in this area, because what you get will be a CHEAP hotel. Hotel taxes run about 15%. Your original taxi budget was $40 each way, so in effect you would end up paying $106 for the hotel plus $16 tax for the $202 price not using the parking. This is a good deal.

No shuttles for two from the port to the airport for less than $50-60.

More questions - do you have actual experience driving in the NY metro area? Do you have experience driving from JFK through NYC to Lyndhurst NJ, then negotiating Newark Airport, and then finding your way back to somewhere in Queens and on to JFK?

Thanks again Carol for such a thorough response and all your advise! I spoke to Trinity and they are indeed very lovely. It's a great deal that we're considering but agree that having to return to hotel from EWR via shuttle and wait for new shuttle is a bit of a downside, and having to do the same on the return trip.

Our alternative option is Uber, which I saw from some posters is only roughly around $40 total (including tolls, etc) and we receive 20% discount through our CC so even a little lower for us. Since we literally just need a bed to sleep on for the night, we can easily rent a room through Airbnb for around $50 making our total cost about $130 roundtrip and allowing us to go directly from EWR to the port and vice versa. (I realize there's a lot of negativity surrounding airbnb, but I personally exercise extreme diligence when booking and have used it more than 15x over 6 different countries with wonderful results.)

I personally do not have experience with driving from EWR to JFK, but I have cabbed that route and live in Queens myself so I'm familiar with the area. Assuming the latest we get off the ship is 10am and arriving at JFK by 7:30pm latest(1.5hr before departure for domestic flight), is the 9.5hr travel time sufficient to account for any unexpected but not extraordinary delays?

Thanks again Carol for such a thorough response and all your advise! I spoke to Trinity and they are indeed very lovely. It's a great deal that we're considering but agree that having to return to hotel from EWR via shuttle and wait for new shuttle is a bit of a downside, and having to do the same on the return trip.

Our alternative option is Uber, which I saw from some posters is only roughly around $40 total (including tolls, etc) and we receive 20% discount through our CC so even a little lower for us. Since we literally just need a bed to sleep on for the night, we can easily rent a room through Airbnb for around $50 making our total cost about $130 roundtrip and allowing us to go directly from EWR to the port and vice versa. (I realize there's a lot of negativity surrounding airbnb, but I personally exercise extreme diligence when booking and have used it more than 15x over 6 different countries with wonderful results.)

I personally do not have experience with driving from EWR to JFK, but I have cabbed that route and live in Queens myself so I'm familiar with the area. Assuming the latest we get off the ship is 10am and arriving at JFK by 7:30pm latest(1.5hr before departure for domestic flight), is the 9.5hr travel time sufficient to account for any unexpected but not extraordinary delays?

It sounds like you are much more adventurous than most of our posters. We don't get a lot of feedback on this forum from folks who have used Uber and no one has posted about just getting a room for one night through airbnb. I believe there are concerns in NJ about Uber licensing and oversight.

Your flight leaves late enough from JFK. I was afraid you were going to say you were from a more rustic part of the U.S. and had never been to NYC and were trying to make an 11 am flight.

We are on an 11 night cruise leaving out of Bayonne on November 30th. We will be driving down to the area on the 28th. We would like easy access to Manhattan for the 28th and 29th as much as possible.

I have looked on Trinity Reservations and the deal they have for a stay/park/cruise is at the Ramada Plaza Newark Liberty International Airport for $202 with 21 days of parking and a roundtrip transfer to and from the port. Certainly quite a good deal!

But I can only book with Trinity for the night before our cruise (i.e. Nov 29). I could book directly with Ramada for the 28th, which would make it simpler since I would hate to have to change hotels each day. My only concern is I am not sure how easy it is to get to Manhattan from the Ramada (I should mention that I don’t really want to drive to Manhattan during those days)?

I could stay at another hotel that is closer to Manhattan and drive to the port, but then I need to tack on an additional $250 in parking at Cape Liberty.

Are there other options that I am not thinking of? Thanks!

We are on an 11 night cruise leaving out of Bayonne on November 30th. We will be driving down to the area on the 28th. We would like easy access to Manhattan for the 28th and 29th as much as possible.

I have looked on Trinity Reservations and the deal they have for a stay/park/cruise is at the Ramada Plaza Newark Liberty International Airport for $202 with 21 days of parking and a roundtrip transfer to and from the port. Certainly quite a good deal!

But I can only book with Trinity for the night before our cruise (i.e. Nov 29). I could book directly with Ramada for the 28th, which would make it simpler since I would hate to have to change hotels each day. My only concern is I am not sure how easy it is to get to Manhattan from the Ramada (I should mention that I don’t really want to drive to Manhattan during those days)?

I could stay at another hotel that is closer to Manhattan and drive to the port, but then I need to tack on an additional $250 in parking at Cape Liberty.

Are there other options that I am not thinking of? Thanks!

You basically have the options. Now you have to balance time, money, and stress. Could you provide some more details? Are you 2 people? What time are you arriving on the 28th? (Are you driving down to outside NYC on the 27th to get two full days in NYC?) Where are you going in Manhattan?

It's an hour plus from the Ramada into Manhattan with a hotel shuttle, Airtrain, and NJ Transit or NJ Transit and PATH. This trip costs either $12.50 or $11/pp each way, so about $50/day.

You basically have the options. Now you have to balance time, money, and stress. Could you provide some more details? Are you 2 people? What time are you arriving on the 28th? (Are you driving down to outside NYC on the 27th to get two full days in NYC?) Where are you going in Manhattan?

It's an hour plus from the Ramada into Manhattan with a hotel shuttle, Airtrain, and NJ Transit or NJ Transit and PATH. This trip costs either $12.50 or $11/pp each way, so about $50/day.

Thanks Carol.

Its just two of us. We will be driving in from Ontario, Canada. Our plan is to leave as early as possible as it is probably a good 7 hour drive. So I doubt we will get in until 2 or 3 p.m. As far as Manhattan, we have been quite a few times and have our usual spots that we will visit. We are quite familiar navigating around by subway. My concern was getting there from the hotel in NJ.

An hour transit sounds like a lot, but the alternative is staying in Manhattan which will increase our costs by at least $400.

Thanks Carol.

Its just two of us. We will be driving in from Ontario, Canada. Our plan is to leave as early as possible as it is probably a good 7 hour drive. So I doubt we will get in until 2 or 3 p.m. As far as Manhattan, we have been quite a few times and have our usual spots that we will visit. We are quite familiar navigating around by subway. My concern was getting there from the hotel in NJ.

An hour transit sounds like a lot, but the alternative is staying in Manhattan which will increase our costs by at least $400.

Staying at the Ramada Plaza is going to cost you $100 for two trips in and out of NYC. If it were me, I'd suck it up and split my hotel stays. One night at the Courtyard in Jersey City and another night at the Ramada Plaza for the park/cruise deal. The Courtyard is right next to PATH which will take you to 33rd & 6th (Macy's Herald Square) for $2.75/pp. The rate for 11/28 is $199 + tax. Parking is $22. If you're going downtown, you can take PATH to World Trade transferring at Grove St on a Saturday.

Staying at the Ramada Plaza is going to cost you $100 for two trips in and out of NYC. If it were me, I'd suck it up and split my hotel stays. One night at the Courtyard in Jersey City and another night at the Ramada Plaza for the park/cruise deal. The Courtyard is right next to PATH which will take you to 33rd & 6th (Macy's Herald Square) for $2.75/pp. The rate for 11/28 is $199 + tax. Parking is $22. If you're going downtown, you can take PATH to World Trade transferring at Grove St on a Saturday.

I was trying to avoid the switch of hotels, but I think you may be right. The savings with the park/cruise deal is hard to pass up.

If you really want to do NYC, then pack a small overnight bag and leave your luggage locked in the car. I have stayed at this Courtyard and was very happy with it. We had a big NY wedding weekend, 4 adults (2 adult different sex children) and an infant, and two cars to lodge, so the Courtyard was our most economical choice for a large room that slept 6. We zipped through the Holland Tunnel to the various wedding venues and ponied up the money to park. It was hugely better than paying for expensive Manhattan hotels plus parking for two cars plus a zillion cabs to get around with an infant.

I just finished reading through this forum and am so impressed with all the info you all provide!! We have a little different problem and looking for some suggestions.

We're on the Summit leaving on Sept 20 ( staying the night before at the RI based on your suggestion and hoping to find a couple of bottles on wine before we embark) We will then stay on the ship and do a b2b2b so that we will end up being in Bayonne twice more before we eventually fly home from San Juan.

I'd like to do laundry in-between each 14 day cruise to avoid the high costs on the ship. Is my best bet to hire a cab at the port since it's too far to walk to town? If so, how would I get transportation back when I'm finished?

Thanks for your help!

JoAnne & Roger

I just finished reading through this forum and am so impressed with all the info you all provide!! We have a little different problem and looking for some suggestions.

We're on the Summit leaving on Sept 20 ( staying the night before at the RI based on your suggestion and hoping to find a couple of bottles on wine before we embark) We will then stay on the ship and do a b2b2b so that we will end up being in Bayonne twice more before we eventually fly home from San Juan.

I'd like to do laundry in-between each 14 day cruise to avoid the high costs on the ship. Is my best bet to hire a cab at the port since it's too far to walk to town? If so, how would I get transportation back when I'm finished?

Thanks for your help!

JoAnne & Roger

Wine is going to be tough. No one has come up with a good solution for folks flying into EWR and sailing from Cape Liberty.

Perhaps someone local can recommend a laundromat in Bayonne. Basically you would go to the taxi dispatcher and tell them where you want to go and call one of these taxi companies when you want to return.

Bayonne City Yellow Cab

201-339-5000

Archie’s Cab & Van Service

201-858-8800

Campbell Taxi

201-339-8300