CAPE LIBERTY 411 (and NYC too) Version 4!!

megr1125

Hi we just got off a 2 week cruise on Celebrity Summit yesterday and the on ramp for I78 West toward Turnpike North/South to get back on the New Jersey Turnpike was closed due to construction. Not sure how long it will be closed.

Thank goodness for Waze told us how to go. Almost in a big circle. We drove past that point, turned left on to Harbor Drive then Left on to Industrial Drive then left onto Port Jersey Blvd and straight up onto the on ramp.

Edited by CruisingChick

Hi we just got off a 2 week cruise on Celebrity Summit yesterday and the on ramp for I78 West toward Turnpike North/South to get back on the New Jersey Turnpike was closed due to construction. Not sure how long it will be closed.

Thank goodness for Waze told us how to go. Almost in a big circle. We drove past that point, turned left on to Harbor Drive then Left on to Industrial Drive then left onto Port Jersey Blvd and straight up onto the on ramp.

Thanks for the report. They are reconstructing that interchange, so these kinds if things are to be expected. We're there no "detour" signs?

Thanks for the report. They are reconstructing that interchange, so these kinds if things are to be expected. We're there no "detour" signs?

Nope, not one detour sign. If you did not have a GPS Navigation or Navigation App, I guess you could have stopped and asked but not the nicest area to stop and ask for directions.

Nope, not one detour sign. If you did not have a GPS Navigation or Navigation App, I guess you could have stopped and asked but not the nicest area to stop and ask for directions.

Ugh! We can't give good advice if they are going to do random closures with no signs. I lived through the "Big Dig" in Boston and the road closures and reroutings occurred daily with no signage at all!

We are on the 11/22/15/ sailing for the Anthem out of Bayonne. We have sailed out of this port 4 times and always drive down the night before, stay in a hotel in PA and then drive in the morning of the cruise.

We have used Premier Parking at a rate of $11.99/day. I have never had a problem with them and found this set-up to be most convenient and cost effective.

For this trip, based on info from this thread, I have made reservations at the Ramada at Newark Airport with their park/cruise package. The rate for one night with parking is $202 all-in. This reservation can be cancelled up to 24 hours in advance of the date for arrival.

Questions:

1) Any other hotels in the area that have a better deal?

2) We are planning on going into the city the night before the cruise and would prefer to take public transportation. If we drive to the nearest train station, what is the best way to get to Lower Manhatten (World Trade area) ?

Thanks,

-Jim

Ugh! We can't give good advice if they are going to do random closures with no signs. I lived through the "Big Dig" in Boston and the road closures and reroutings occurred daily with no signage at all!

Who knows what they were thinking. Maybe they didn't realize over 2,000 people were getting off a cruise ship that morning. Since it was Sunday and only 8:40 AM maybe they hadn't put them out yet? No clue. But we were almost in disbelief when we drove by it and it was closed and we din't see any other signs.

We are on the 11/22/15/ sailing for the Anthem out of Bayonne. We have sailed out of this port 4 times and always drive down the night before, stay in a hotel in PA and then drive in the morning of the cruise.

We have used Premier Parking at a rate of $11.99/day. I have never had a problem with them and found this set-up to be most convenient and cost effective.

For this trip, based on info from this thread, I have made reservations at the Ramada at Newark Airport with their park/cruise package. The rate for one night with parking is $202 all-in. This reservation can be cancelled up to 24 hours in advance of the date for arrival.

Questions:

1) Any other hotels in the area that have a better deal?

2) We are planning on going into the city the night before the cruise and would prefer to take public transportation. If we drive to the nearest train station, what is the best way to get to Lower Manhatten (World Trade area) ?

Thanks,

-Jim

Trinity Reservations is the best deal I have been able to find. Their rate is always quoted tax included (tax is about 15%) and what you reserved includes hotel room, parking up to 21 days, and round trip port transportation.

You need to take PATH from Newark Penn Station to go to the World Trade Center for $2.75/pp. For me the problem would be wandering around downtown Newark later on a Sat night trying to retrieve a parked car somewhere and then driving back to your hotel without getting lost some place you really don't want to be. Been there, done that.

My suggestions would be to take the hotel shuttle back to P4 Airtrain station, take the free Airtrain to the Newark Airport Station, and take NJ Transit one stop to Newark Penn Station for $8.25/pp each way. Another alternative would be to take a cab Directly from the hotel to Newark Penn Station for $15-20 each way ( best guess - ask the hotel).

Taking NJ Transit bus 40 on Frontage Road to Newark Penn Station is also an option, but I would only do that inbound. Coming back later in the evening you should take a cab. http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/bus/T0040.pdf

We are staying close up the Empire State Building so ideally want to book a cab for our jan cruise. When the cruise comes back I need to book a car to the airport as I have a 4 hour window between docking time and flight departure. Any reliable but reasonably priced companies anyone can recommend?

We are staying close up the Empire State Building so ideally want to book a cab for our jan cruise. When the cruise comes back I need to book a car to the airport as I have a 4 hour window between docking time and flight departure. Any reliable but reasonably priced companies anyone can recommend?

Could you provide more details? Exact dates? Which cruiseport? Which airport?

There are 3 cruiseports and 3 airports for NYC.

I arrive back on the Anthem, Monday, November 30 at 6AM at Cape Liberty. I'm making my flight reservations. It's a holiday, weather might be crazy, and airport might be crazy. I was going to book a 12pm flight. After considering all the variables I thought maybe the 4:30pm flight would be better. I've never been to this EWR area so wondering if it's like FLL and I will be fine.

You are flying out the monday after thanksgiving...yikes....

I would book a later flight ..you might make the early one BUT if the ship is late clearing, or you hit traffic, etc, and miss it, your chances of getting on the later one are slim..Granted most travelers will be headed home on sunday...

I'm on the Oct. 4th breakaway cruise and arriving to Penn station. What's the best way to get to pier? There is a bikeathon. We were going to take a taxi. Or should we try subway? I don't think we can walk all that way with luggage.

I'm on the Oct. 4th breakaway cruise and arriving to Penn station. What's the best way to get to pier? There is a bikeathon. We were going to take a taxi. Or should we try subway? I don't think we can walk all that way with luggage.

Bike MS 2015 starts @ 07:20 or 7:30 on Sunday, Oct 4th. at Pier 92/4, which is just north of the MCT by 54th Street & head south with a 30 miles as well as 50/100 miles run, heading downtown and away from the cruise terminal. (click highlighted link for details & maps)

It should not pose a major problem by 10 or 11 AM relative to the street closures (some blocks in virtually lock down mode & frozen zones) today with the Pope in town & UN's GA thru next week.

Coming out of NY Penn Station, use the 8th. Avenue exit as there's a taxi stand right upstairs & traffic is heading uptown ... in the direction you wanted to go (and west toward NJ if on W. 33rd Street) - easier to get into one quicker without going around the corner & risk getting caught in cross-town traffic (unlikely, but as we all don't know & can't always predict - sometimes)

As I recall, 12th Avenue, northbound - should progressively reopen to traffic by mid/late morning so traffic should begin to flow, slower than usual - perhaps, so allow for extra time & higher metered taxi fares (since you have luggage & it's a fairly long walk) W. 33rd. Street will take you all the way across to 12th. Avenue & then a quick right onto 12th Avenue toward the pier, get dropped off at W. 48th Street's corner (that's a taxi stand for disembarking cruise ship passengers walking off) & just walk across at the traffic light to the pier, take the huge passenger elevators up one level to check-in & find the porter, etc.

Or, have the taxi go north on 10th Avenue & ask to be dropped off at W. 48th Street (either at 11th Avenue & walk one city block - it's a slight downhill roll, easier with rollers & spinners) or at 12th Avenue if s/he can get you there without sitting in traffic for 20 minutes $$$$, fares for the meter ticking ... and you should be all set for your Bon Voyage, etc.

All I have on my confirmation is New York :(

It's the breakaway leaving on 3rd jan...

Breakaway leaves from the Manhattan Cruiseport. Have you made airline reservations? Chances are New York would mean either LaGuardia or JFK airports, but in order to give you good advice, you need to know where your are leaving from.

Breakaway leaves from the Manhattan Cruiseport. Have you made airline reservations? Chances are New York would mean either LaGuardia or JFK airports, but in order to give you good advice, you need to know where your are leaving from.

Yup I fly into Newark but I'm not so worried about that as we staying in NY for a few nights. It's when the ship returns I have a 4 hour window to get off and catch my plane. We leave from JFK to La.

Yup I fly into Newark but I'm not so worried about that as we staying in NY for a few nights. It's when the ship returns I have a 4 hour window to get off and catch my plane. We leave from JFK to La.

My only poor debarkation experience was on the Breakaway. The line for early walk off wrapped through multiple stairways and we stood there for WELL over an hour. We were very late getting cleared by customs. You will likely be ok if you can get off quickly, personally I wouldn't risk it.

What time exactly is your flight? Are you flying internationally? The ship docks at 8:00, which would mean your flight from JFK is at noon. That's very tight, particularly for an international departure. Sunday traffic is usually light in NYC, but you can't be sure.

What time exactly is your flight? Are you flying internationally? The ship docks at 8:00, which would mean your flight from JFK is at noon. That's very tight, particularly for an international departure. Sunday traffic is usually light in NYC, but you can't be sure.

It's at 12 from JFK to Los Angeles on delta.

The company I booked it through told me a 4 hr window would be ok. Slightly worried now....