Re-filling Your Water Bottles

What if I want to fill my glass with half punch and half lemonade? Do I have to fill two new glasses half full and mix them back at my table? :D I don't see what everyone is worked up about. As if there aren't hundreds of silly government rules. ;)

NO VODKA?????........now THAT'S a crime.....................;)

Bring out the cuffs! I am bad person that admits to flaunting USPH regulations...da da dahhhh!!! Mind you we have a different way of doing it. We traveled with our daughter since she was a baby and we had a small bottle for soap we used to clean her bottles. We still take it. On the cruise used it to wash our 3 bottles every night in our room. Not a big deal, but hot days at beach and what not, sitting water might get a bit funky by end of day. So I washed it and leave it to dry over night. Maybe I'm crazy, but at least in my head I think the water tastes fresher.

We have wide lids, FOR ICE(It gets hot you know), my bottle lip is no where near the spout or any other vector. Water goes in put the lid back and I'm on my way for day. If it's lunch at the windjamme,r or other lunch spots I'll take a few glasses back to the table and do some refill's. Do I feel guilty hell no. What to report me to USPH, go for it.

Do I worry about it getting infected, NO. Like other said If I was really careful would avoid all bars, handrails, door nobs, well maybe just seal me up in a bubble!!! We live in a world with Virus, bacteria and people of varying hygiene. Can't control what 2000-6000 people do, good luck with that. I say take actions that make yourself comfortable. I go on vacation to relax and enjoy, not to patrol who is following USPH regulations. On the other hand if that is what make your cruise fun go for it. I'll be at the Solarium in the mornings to fill up 3 bottles and looking forward to a lively debate.

Until then HAPPY cruising!.

Bring out the cuffs! I am bad person that admits to flaunting USPH regulations...da da dahhhh!!! Mind you we have a different way of doing it. We traveled with our daughter since she was a baby and we had a small bottle for soap we used to clean her bottles. We still take it. On the cruise used it to wash our 3 bottles every night in our room. Not a big deal, but hot days at beach and what not, sitting water might get a bit funky by end of day. So I washed it and leave it to dry over night. Maybe I'm crazy, but at least in my head I think the water tastes fresher.

We have wide lids, FOR ICE(It gets hot you know), my bottle lip is no where near the spout or any other vector. Water goes in put the lid back and I'm on my way for day. If it's lunch at the windjamme,r or other lunch spots I'll take a few glasses back to the table and do some refill's. Do I feel guilty hell no. What to report me to USPH, go for it.

Do I worry about it getting infected, NO. Like other said If I was really careful would avoid all bars, handrails, door nobs, well maybe just seal me up in a bubble!!! We live in a world with Virus, bacteria and people of varying hygiene. Can't control what 2000-6000 people do, good luck with that. I say take actions that make yourself comfortable. I go on vacation to relax and enjoy, not to patrol who is following USPH regulations. On the other hand if that is what make your cruise fun go for it. I'll be at the Solarium in the mornings to fill up 3 bottles and looking forward to a lively debate.

Until then HAPPY cruising!.

Unfortunately, it's not you that would be reported to the USPH. It is the fact that you place the crew in difficult situations by having to possibly correct you for the improper use of the dispenser, or to have them decide it isn't worth correcting anyone. Then when the USPH makes their inspections, which always includes meal service, so that procedures can be observed, the ship can get a deficiency on the report if the inspector sees you using the dispenser to fill your bottle. Then the ship gets bad PR for possibly having a low score, and the crew suffers from having to do additional work/training in order to improve their scores.

And while you may not worry about getting infected, what about you infecting others? As I've said, I'm always amazed at the passengers deciding what regulations to follow, and then blame the crew for improper sanitation when a ship has a noro outbreak.

If someone allows their kid in the pool who is not potty-trained, are you okay with that as well, or is that one USPH regulation that you feel must be followed?

If someone allows their kid in the pool who is not potty-trained, are you okay with that as well, or is that one USPH regulation that you feel must be followed?

That is one that MUST be followed. Good to point that out because it illustrates the difference between silly rules and ones that need to be followed. We make those calls every day and common sense must prevail.

That is one that MUST be followed. Good to point that out because it illustrates the difference between silly rules and ones that need to be followed. We make those calls every day and common sense must prevail.

Why is that? Is it because you don't have kids in swim diapers, and doesn't affect your vacation? Are you a trained epidemiologist like the USPH/CDC staff so that you can make the decision as to which is a more important source of transmission? Many shoreside public pools allow children in swim diapers, why not ships then?

And allowing you to refill your bottle, who may take all precautions to prevent cross-contamination, does that mean that everyone is allowed to, even those who are not as careful, or only your chosen ones.

Since you believe you know better than the USPH, I'll wait until you review the 300 page VSP Operations manual, and the 100 page VSP Construction manual, and report back with your recommendations of what is "silly" and what is mandatory, before I'll respond again.

Why is that? Is it because you don't have kids in swim diapers, and doesn't affect your vacation? Are you a trained epidemiologist like the USPH/CDC staff so that you can make the decision as to which is a more important source of transmission? Many shoreside public pools allow children in swim diapers, why not ships then?

And allowing you to refill your bottle, who may take all precautions to prevent cross-contamination, does that mean that everyone is allowed to, even those who are not as careful, or only your chosen ones.

Since you believe you know better than the USPH, I'll wait until you review the 300 page VSP Operations manual, and the 100 page VSP Construction manual, and report back with your recommendations of what is "silly" and what is mandatory, before I'll respond again.

Umm, just keep your diapers to yourself, eh?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Two words: Code Brown.

Two words: Code Brown.

My point is made. Since refilling your water bottle benefits you, and enhances your vacation, it is fine to disregard a regulation, but when someone else decides to ignore a regulation, and it affects your vacation because the pool needs to be drained, then the rule needs to be enforced. I thought that might be the thought process. By the by, you do know that most shoreside public pools do not drain them after a fecal incident?

I know you'll have a nice cruise, 'cause its all about you.

Seems like a win-win solution. I think if you fill the water bottle in your room no one will mind (or know). It's the same water.

Tom

I repeatedly filled the water glass in my room from the tap and poured it into my water bottle. Took a few minutes but its better than standing in front of everybody looking like a jerk.

.....unless the signage is written in "text speak" most young people will be unable to comprehend...........................;)

Like - "U nd 2 use a cln glass 2 fill ur H20 bottle L8R" ???

Has society become so lazy that we forgot how to actually write a complete sentence? plz :D

My point is made. Since refilling your water bottle benefits you, and enhances your vacation, it is fine to disregard a regulation, but when someone else decides to ignore a regulation, and it affects your vacation because the pool needs to be drained, then the rule needs to be enforced. I thought that might be the thought process. By the by, you do know that most shoreside public pools do not drain them after a fecal incident?

I know you'll have a nice cruise, 'cause its all about you.

To hell with the other passengers - not my problem! OK, so that seems to be the attitude of a number of people, and it's really sad. I have a friend of mine who works at a community pool, and that is definitely the case. Would take too long to drain 20,000+ gallons of water and refill (not to mention expensive). The offending bodily fluids or Baby Ruth bars are removed from the pool, then the pool has to be shocked with x ppm of chlorine or bromine for so many hours, then allowed to return to it's normal pH and acidity, and possibly re-corrected to that level and tested several times to be sure the water is once again safe. The pools on the ships, as you know, have a much smaller capacity, and are in many cases, saltwater, so the water supply itself is free, however, not the cost of any treatment that may need to be done to the water, but with your experience, you would know better what treatment, if any, the seawater gets before it makes its way into the pool.

Edited by A2Mich

LOL - I was just commenting on chengkp75's comment about public pools not being drained after a Code Brown incident.

No, onboard its more like Caddyshack, where the guys have to get down in there and scrub the pool. Then there will be a super-chlorination with an attendant contact time, before draining again and refilling. And I'm not sure about public pools (kind of varies with locale), but home pools are chlorinated to 1-1.5 ppm, while the ship's pools are 2-4, so it takes a while to get things properly balanced. And then the record keeping, Oy!

But even the fact that the "infant only recreational water facilities" as the USPH calls the splash areas where kids in diapers are allowed, have UV sterilizers in the filtration system tells you that chlorine alone doesn't take care of #1 completely either.

LOL - I was just commenting on chengkp75's comment about public pools not being drained after a Code Brown incident.

Sorry missed the point again. I was busy cutting the elevator line. Lines? We don't need no stinking lines!!

Edited by PennStateFan123

This is leading us a bit off line and I know you were waxing ironic, but this might be the case where perhaps being reasonable makes sense. The rule say, or least imply, "No saving of seats" and I've heard people get way bent out of shape if a spouse saves one for their other half. Certainly saving 24 would be pushing the envelope past explosive limits, but the "rules" can be interpreted at times.

To be fair, no one is put in any kind of hygienic danger if someone saves a seat. So, although this made me LOL the point of the thread about not using public water receptacles to fill bottles is a lot bigger problem IMO. I like the idea of filling them in your room.

Tom

Your point? Sorry, I wasn't paying attention....I was on my way to the theater up reserve 24 seats

I can't imagine why anyone would have a problem with that. There's no more health hazard in taking the glasses to your room than there is drinking them on the spot.

I think the problem is when people attache their water bottles to the public faucets.

Tom

I guess I don't see the big deal or why I would look like a jerk if I got 2 glasses of cold water and took it to my room to fill my water bottle?

Sorry missed the point again. I was busy cutting the elevator line. Lines? We don't need no stinking lines!!

BTW, don't forget to wipe your runny nose on your hands just before you grab the dinner rolls at the buffet line with no tongs or foodservice gloves. Oh, and make sure that at least one extremely hairy male in your party leans over the buffet line while wearing a tank top so that we can all enjoy the dripping armpit sweat or loose armpit hairs falling out (that's for an added bonus!):D

I'm also wondering why we need to keep creating more dirty dishes - especially at the self serve ice cream machines - I just stick my mouth right on the nozzle and pull the handle! No sense in creating more dirty dishes to be washed. Aw heck, why wash them at all? We can just lick our plates clean and put them back out for service right away;)

No, onboard its more like Caddyshack, where the guys have to get down in there and scrub the pool. Then there will be a super-chlorination with an attendant contact time, before draining again and refilling. And I'm not sure about public pools (kind of varies with locale), but home pools are chlorinated to 1-1.5 ppm, while the ship's pools are 2-4, so it takes a while to get things properly balanced. And then the record keeping, Oy!

But even the fact that the "infant only recreational water facilities" as the USPH calls the splash areas where kids in diapers are allowed, have UV sterilizers in the filtration system tells you that chlorine alone doesn't take care of #1 completely either.

Sounds reasonable. I think that public pools might be chlorinated a bit higher than that, but certainly have to be tested frequently, and even more frequently if there is a heavy bather load.

Sounds reasonable. I think that public pools might be chlorinated a bit higher than that, but certainly have to be tested frequently, and even more frequently if there is a heavy bather load.

Ship's pools have continuous monitoring and recording, and this controls a continuous chlorine injection.