Jewel vrs Adventure

pinkroses

We are looking to do a southern Caribbean cruise from San Juan. It appears that the only two ships sailing from there are the Jewel and the Adventure. I am familiar with the itineraries but not the ships. I have read many "not so good" reports. Can someone here help? Thanks!

Is there a specific concern? The Jewel is a narrower ship to fit thru the panama canal for Alaska cruises. Jewel will have less people and therefore more of a small ship atmosphere (less elaborate shows..etc).

The Adventure is wider which allows for the open promenade (mall), ice rink, larger pool deck, bigger theatre, more active....... more people

What are you looking for in a cruise. These are busy itineraries. The ship activities are not always the main focus for most sailing out of SJU.

There's a back to back review for both ships:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2144344

Did a detailed comparison the past few weeks to find a reason to go on the Adventure instead of going on the Jewel again as our last 2 cruises were on the Jewel. The Jewel has Portofino, Chops, Seaview Cafe & Lattitudes (Starbucks). The Adventure has Giovanni's, Johnny Rockets & Park Cafe. The Jewel cruises offer a better variety of ports (I think). We decided on the Jewel again. Either ship is great and you'll have a great cruise.

Thanks everyone! We have been on the Serenade so are familiar with the layout of the Jewel. I especially the open Windjammer for sail always. We also traveled the Explorer and Freedom similar to the layout of Adventure. The reviews of the Adventure make her sound worn out.

The reviews of the Adventure make her sound worn out.

The Adventure was "refreshed" in 2014. Updated cabins, large poolside TV, touch screen view finders near the elevators, Giovanni's, pool deck resurfaced, etc... Hardly worn out.

She gets a full "refurbishment" next year.

Didn't care for the Brilliance of the Seas, similar to the Jewel. Tiny Centrum, very slow elevators. No real flow to the ship.

Just my opinion

Tom

Edited by tsconley19

I would pick Adventure, if you enjoy tanning in the Solarium....on Jewel, the "retractable" roof is never retracted, so you can't tan in there!

I cannot think of a more meaningless reason to choose one over the other................

As others have said, Adventure has the promenade, ice rink etc. We've done both out of San Juan and they are both great:)