Freedom - some areas only accessible by stairs?

dkc1973

I read on the Cruise Critic review of the Freedom that one of the "cons" is that some main areas can only be accessed by stairs. However, I haven't found any explanation of where those areas are, or anyone else saying that.

Can someone explain? My father is not good with stairs and so we don't want to book on the Freedom if that's going to be an issue.

Thanks in Advance!!

Thanks for the info. I couldn't imagine it not being accessible but the Cruise Critic ship review said that specifically in their review. I can't help but wonder what they mean.

Pro: Free dining options and age-appropriate activities, including Seuss-themed events

Con: Layout forces passengers to climb stairs to access other main areas of the ship on the same deck

Thanks for the info. I couldn't imagine it not being accessible but the Cruise Critic ship review said that specifically in their review. I can't help but wonder what they mean.

Pro: Free dining options and age-appropriate activities, including Seuss-themed events

Con: Layout forces passengers to climb stairs to access other main areas of the ship on the same deck

I've been on many a ship where you couldn't walk from one end to the other on a certain floor without facing stairs especially on some old promenade decks. But as others have said you can get to all areas of the ship but it may mean taking multiple different elevator rides, especially if you don't want to face some congested areas. Also, because of the air pressure differences between the inside and outside air and the need to keep outside water out doors to the exterior can be heavy and cumbersome and I can't remember all of them having automatic closers.

And now for one of my pet peeves...I wish that able bodied adults and children would be considerate and use the stairs so that those less ambulatory folks didn't have to fight for space on elevators that are their only means of getting up or down a cruise ship. OK..back to your regular scheduled program.

And now for one of my pet peeves...I wish that able bodied adults and children would be considerate and use the stairs so that those less ambulatory folks didn't have to fight for space on elevators that are their only means of getting up or down a cruise ship. OK..back to your regular scheduled program.

But you can't always tell if someone is 'able-bodied' or not. Disabilities are not always apparent.

But you can't always tell if someone is 'able-bodied' or not. Disabilities are not always apparent.

The people who I'm talking about know who they are...And you can't tell me the guy I just saw on the water slides with his teenage kids have hidden disabilities that force them to take the elevator back down to their rooms.

I am disabled, but you would not be able to tell by looking at me, Unless you happen to see my scars, but even then you probably would not know. I try to take the stairs whenever possible, but sometimes my medical issues get the best of me. Just because someone looks able bodied, doesn't mean they are. You can't judge a book by it's cover.

All of the ships are fully handicap accessible. It may not always be convenient but there is a way to get to anywhere on the ship by elevator instead of stairs.

This is not true.

We're sailing the pride and there is no access to the dance club on deck 1 for wheelchairs and decks 11 and 12 are only accessible by stairs (sports deck and sky deck).

As well, many tenders are only accessible via a small set of stairs.

OP, you can contact Special Needs for a list of areas that are inaccessible on the ship you're thinking of.

I am disabled, but you would not be able to tell by looking at me, Unless you happen to see my scars, but even then you probably would not know. I try to take the stairs whenever possible, but sometimes my medical issues get the best of me. Just because someone looks able bodied, doesn't mean they are. You can't judge a book by it's cover.

Oh my...I'm sorry if I struck a nerve with some of you. I'm really not "judging" and I know there are silent disabilities (my dubious heart being one of them). But there are a lot of folks with no issues who clog up the elevators when they only have to go up or down a single flight of stairs. And lots of parents "allow" their kids to think that elevators are a special toy for them to ride. We always threaten the teenagers we travel with the unthinkable if they even consider an elevator ride....though the glass ones in the atrium are not part of the ban since they can be a nice experience.

I know what you're saying. The kids are notorious for button pushing, riding elevators, making me wait, etc...

However, the best part of being on a cruise..... I'm never in a rush to get anywhere!!!

Have to agree with the OP though. Walk those steps if you can. At least it will give you the feeling that you are doing something good after that 3rd plate of desserts at the buffet!:D:D:D

Just remember that the Supreme Court decision against NCL regarding the ADA left the question of whether or not the ship's construction was required to meet the ADA. So, there are most likely areas on many ships that are not completely ADA accessible. This was because the court could not decide whether the intent of the law was to interfere with the "internal operations" of the ship. They left it to Congress to pass any further clarification on construction, and that has never happened. The only cruise ship that must completely meet the ADA requirements is the POA, as she is US flag.

A question....since doors are required by ADA to provide a clear access of 34" are stateroom doors to accessible rooms that wide. Normal cruise doors are only 26" wide. Never bothered to look.

They are wider, but I can't say for sure that they are 34". Most wheelchairs and scooters will fit through, but some of the wider wheelchairs won't fit.

I've been on many a ship where you couldn't walk from one end to the other on a certain floor without facing stairs especially on some old promenade decks. But as others have said you can get to all areas of the ship but it may mean taking multiple different elevator rides, especially if you don't want to face some congested areas. Also, because of the air pressure differences between the inside and outside air and the need to keep outside water out doors to the exterior can be heavy and cumbersome and I can't remember all of them having automatic closers.

I've also been on ships where there were a few areas that may not be accessible due to stairs, but they have also tended to not be any areas of real importance, though I can certainly understand the feeling of not being able to go somewhere.

That said, I don't completely agree with your assessment of the elevator situation. I feel that the elevators are for everyone as well. I as well have a hidden issue - I have an issue where my back is out of alignment and I can walk for short distances with no problem, but can get very painful to walk longer distances. The issue for the elevators is not WHO is using them, it's a matter of HOW they're being used. In all honesty, I know it is a courtesy to let disabled passengers go ahead of everyone else, but by all rights, as long as they are able to get on the elevator in the order they arrive in line to use it, should be sufficient. I do not agree with or condone the rude ones who rush to get on the elevator no matter their arrival order, and leave the disabled ones to "catch the next one." Those people are the problem. As far as what I was referring to earlier, I'm not one who feels that the disabled should get all of this special treatment per se, but are definitely entitled to equal and fair treatment and access just like any other. I know what I mean, but trying to word it is a bit difficult.

The only place that might be difficult is the Fish and Chips. I am not sure how to access it from anything other than the stairs. There should be access from the open deck but I am not sure. If all else fails ask one of the Carnival employees to run and get something from the Fish and Chips. (The Watermelon Ceviche is fantastic. as is the fish)

Deck 12 serenity deck area can be accessed via the SPA elevator. BUt the upper serenity on deck 14 (note the skipping of deck 13) is only accessible via stairs. Then the only other places not elevator acessbile would be the Jogging track on deck 11 and the mini golf course. And not to sound insensitive, but if you are wheel chair bound, I don't see the need for access to the jogging track (you could alway use the wrap around deck on deck 10) or the mini golf (even if you could get your chair up their you couldn't move around)