experiences with a "guaranteed room"

summercruise2015

There is no way to know what and if you will receive any upgrade at all. The cruise line may not even assign gty cabins before showing up at the dock. There is no answer to the question of how a GTY stateroom might be assigned in any individual case. We don't know what the likelihood of your getting a large balcony will be.

Edited by cruzsnooze

can someone please explain their personal experiences with them? I have a mini-suite large balcony, what is the likelihood I would get a large balcony? it seems everyone in NCl is misinformed, bc each time I call they all give me different information!!

thank you

Have done 2 Mini Suite GTY. Once on the Gem with no problem and last year on Breakaway with one. Last year two days before we were to sail, I received a call from our TA saying that NCL ran out of MS and wanted to move us to a balcony. This was totally unacceptable and after a few hours of going between my TA and NCL we ended up keeping our room. But it did leave a sour taste in my mouth

We have booked guarantee cabins many times and have been assigned the category we booked or better but always within the same category. For example it we booked a balcony guarantee we got the lowest level balcony or the highest level balcony, but never to another category. never upgraded to a suite, from a balcony guarantee.

I always book the category that I want because I do not want to be disappointed.

Good Luck

Geegee1, what did NCL offer you as an incentive to downgrade your cabin? I have heard of this happening before with gty cabins but always with NCL offering either OBC or something else to sweeten the pot.

They offered an OBC, but not enough for us to consider taking it.

Have done 2 Mini Suite GTY. Once on the Gem with no problem and last year on Breakaway with one. Last year two days before we were to sail, I received a call from our TA saying that NCL ran out of MS and wanted to move us to a balcony. This was totally unacceptable and after a few hours of going between my TA and NCL we ended up keeping our room. But it did leave a sour taste in my mouth

I didn't realize they could downgrade you! We did GTY for first time last week on Getaway, didn't get upgraded but was ok with our room assignment. But knowing this could happen -- and 2days before cruise!!! -- that's scary. Obviously you asked but didn't they have anything to upgrade you to? I wonder who DID end up losing their MS and how much OBC they got from NCL for it?!!!

I didn't realize they could downgrade you! We did GTY for first time last week on Getaway, didn't get upgraded but was ok with our room assignment. But knowing this could happen -- and 2days before cruise!!! -- that's scary. Obviously you asked but didn't they have anything to upgrade you to? I wonder who DID end up losing their MS and how much OBC they got from NCL for it?!!!

I've not found any reports of someone being downgraded on a GTY. As this poster said, they were offered a downgrade with some reimbursement and declined. Someone either accepted the offer or were upgraded. You will not lose your cabin unless you agree to it.

I've not found any reports of someone being downgraded on a GTY. As this poster said, they were offered a downgrade with some reimbursement and declined. Someone either accepted the offer or were upgraded. You will not lose your cabin unless you agree to it.

This is my understanding. I would have to save significant $ in order to book a guarantee again, I like to know where we'll be.

It is quite normal for travel industry to try to overbook or at least get booked completely - in those cases if the statistics about cancellations, no-shows, etc don't actualize as calculated, or they have to pull some capacity from inventory for example for maintenaince reasons, they have to find someone that is willing to be reimbursed and accepting a downgrade (or upgrade somebody but as seen, it is not always possible and/or financially acceptable if there is a chance that they'd be able to get more money from the higher category from someone).

Happens as well on cruise lines as in hotels and with airlines.

Edited by Demonyte

From the time our TA first called us, until it got resolved, they did change our reservations in the system from a MS to a Balcony. This was done without our consent.