Anyone had a no-salt diet on NCL?

GordonJasmine

I've ordered a no-salt diet for a 9-day cruise on the Gem and am wondering what it will be like. I also don't eat meat or fish. Will it be "tasteless" or do they have a way to make it tasty without the salt? And how on earth do they keep track of where I'm eating at any given time?!! Thanks!

Can't help you with other things but about where and when isn't that hard - if you are going to eat in a MDR, that is good to know in advance so that you can place an advance order, but you don't need to know the exact time if you're ok with that your food is prepared to order and can take bit longer than regular dishes would.

My wife has special dietary needs because of allergies and we have found NCL very easy and accommodating with those. But then again, we don't expect that everything would be ready waiting for us any place, any time. :)

Edited by Demonyte

I've ordered a no-salt diet for a 9-day cruise on the Gem and am wondering what it will be like. I also don't eat meat or fish. Will it be "tasteless" or do they have a way to make it tasty without the salt? And how on earth do they keep track of where I'm eating at any given time?!! Thanks!

I had been recommended to order a no-salt diet on the Star after finding the food way too salty. I only had the diet for dinners. At the end of each dinner, I would ask to see the next day’s dinner menu and place my order. When I turned up for dinner at any of their MDR, I’d tell the waiters my cabin number and that I had already ordered my no-salt dishes. It usually took slightly longer as the dishes were “freshly” cooked “especially” for me. I found the soups tasted like “normal” soup, i.e. not as salty as sea water, but still tasty. Most other dishes I found that they just did not pour the sauce on or add the last minute “salt and pepper” before serving. I doubt they had made extra efforts to use herbs or spices in place of salt. However, I found it OK most times. BTW, I eat meat and fish so it might be different again if you don't.

How do they keep treck? You give them your cabin number and they check the computeers I would imagine. As for will the food be tasteless, is your cooking at home tasteless? Will they use extra or speicial spices just for you? Probably not, NCL is very good about trying to accomodate special diets, but there is only so much they can do. Maybe you can carry some spices or herbs with you in case you want a little more flavor. I think the idea of checking the day before and putting in your order is a great way to prepare them for your special needs.

Edited by newmexicoNita

Most/many travelers on NCL with special dietary needs are asked to meet with dining staff the night before and place their orders for the next day. They will give you choices. When you arrive let them know you have made arrangements.

They can help you with specialty dining also.

Their computers keep all information.

Is the salt thing a medical necessity or is it your choice? I'd not be happy confining myself to the DR's, just not my thing. The buffets have mounds of foods to pick from.

I recently returned from a cruise on the Gem with my 90 year old mom. Every night in the main dining room we were given the menu for the following evening. There was one crew member who was in charge of the dietary resticted program. She could order anythong she wanted off the menu and it was prepared for her without salt. It was seasoned perfectly , and was not tasteless. This included all the soups , appetizers and entrees. The following evening we told our waitstaff our cabin when we arrived and her dinner was served with mine.

Fortunately, a low-salt or no-salt diet is probably among the more common special-needs diets, so they are well accustomed to preparing them.

At Le Bistro, I really wanted the French Onion Soup, but I'd read how salty it was. (We are on low-salt, not no-salt, diets.)

So I asked in advance, the day before our reservation, and announced our request when we were seated. (I think they already knew, from the computer records, but why gamble?)

It worked very well.

Other times, we usually asked for "no EXTRA salt", so there'd be no "extra sprinkling" of salt, etc., and that worked well, too.

GeezerCouple

My DH needs to control salt intake very carefully and the night we ate at Teppanyaki, before the chef started prepping the food we requested no salt and he fixed ours off to the side and made sure that we knew it had no added salt. Very tasty and very happy with his attention to our dietary request.

I don't know what happened to the OP but I sure am thankful for this thread. On cruises, my ankles start to swell and a couple times, it's been bad! Worse on RCCL. I started bringing a case of water onboard and that has helped some. I hardly cook with salt at home. I'm going to ask for low salt on our upcoming cruise. Thanks for the info everyone!

I don't know what happened to the OP but I sure am thankful for this thread. On cruises, my ankles start to swell and a couple times, it's been bad! Worse on RCCL. I started bringing a case of water onboard and that has helped some. I hardly cook with salt at home. I'm going to ask for low salt on our upcoming cruise. Thanks for the info everyone!

That is probably a good idea, both the water and the request. Yes, most of us have trouble with fluid retention when cruising, but I don't think it is totally due to the food, remember, the entire cruise we are in salt water enviornmnet. I think we actually inhale salt just from talking around, sitting on the balcony, whatever. I usually take some type of diuretics (spelling) with us plus drink a lot of water. Because we do enjoy our salt with our foods I don't request a salt free or reduced diet.