galveston Hotels

gigi65

I have heard that some of the hotels in galveston, will allow you to leave your car in the parking lot of the hotel and shuttle you to the port and pick you back up when you return from cruise.

Has anyone on CC actually done this? Looking for feedback/ pros/ cons

TIA

I have heard that some of the hotels in galveston, will allow you to leave your car in the parking lot of the hotel and shuttle you to the port and pick you back up when you return from cruise.

TIA

Also try asking in the Gulf Coast Departures forum:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=414

We stay at 1 of 3 places ( there are other s that allow this also) .... Casa Del Mar, Holiday Inn Express or Red Roof Inn. They all allow you to leave your vehicle in their lot for free but you call a taxi for pick-up to ship. It usually cost us $20.00 to the ship including tip, we always pre arrange. Then we catch a taxi back to hotel after cruise! Cheaper and a LOT less hassle than parking lots.... been there, done them all! Hotel rooms are cheaper than the one with the free shuttle too ! Just my 2 cents!

We are staying at the Lost Bayou Bed & Breakfast. They offer free parking at the Railroad Museum parking lot, which is walking distance to the pier. They had one of the best rates when I was booking and their reviews on TripAdvisor are very good.

TIA

We always stay at the Hilton. We have done this several times and it isn't that big of a deal if you don't mind being on their schedule.

I prefer to arrive early to get on the ship earlier. The first shuttle usually doesn't leave until the time that I am usually onboard (11ish).

The last few years we have just been paying to park at one of the independent parking lots.

Stayed at the Country Inn and Suites many times. They allow you to leave your car. It's a $15 taxi to the pier, or they have a shuttle for $10/person.

Hotel has nice rooms (it's fairly new), on the seawall, free breakfast, free wifi. I just booked a senior rate there for $59/king (the prices are MUCH higher during peak season, spring break, etc). Call the hotel direct and ask for best rates (rather than the corporate web site or 800 #)

We've stayed at Country Inn and Suites as well. Rates were reasonable BUT our next cruise will be during the Dickens on the Strand weekend in Dec. and rates have skyrocketed more than double (approx. $249) what we paid last time on a non Dickens weekend ($120). We want to stay in a hotel that will keep our car for the duration of the cruise. Suggestions?

We've stayed at Country Inn and Suites as well. Rates were reasonable BUT our next cruise will be during the Dickens on the Strand weekend in Dec. and rates have skyrocketed more than double (approx. $249) what we paid last time on a non Dickens weekend ($120). We want to stay in a hotel that will keep our car for the duration of the cruise. Suggestions?

Stay at a motel on the mainland and park at the port. It might be a little more than $120, but not all that much.

Stay at a motel on the mainland and park at the port. It might be a little more than $120, but not all that much.

That might be our best option. We feel more secure coming down the day before. We don't know the area well at all and need to research hotels close to Galveston.

We have stayed at the Harbour House where you pay $10 to park the night you stay and then you park out at Hotel Galvez for $10 for the whole week and they have a shuttle that is very easy to use to the port and back.

Oh my. Thanks for the info but if Country Inn was $249 I can't even imagine the rate for Harbor House or even The Galvez :eek: Both show "unavailable" online. Maybe 2 night stay is required because of the special weekend.

Another option is Gaido's Seaside Inn which was recently refurbished. They won't post their Dec. rates until August. We've stayed there before. Good for just one night and they keep our car for the duration of the cruise. We also like to meet roll call folks Sat. night at the seafood restaurant on the property.

That might be our best option. We feel more secure coming down the day before. We don't know the area well at all and need to research hotels close to Galveston.

Take a look at Texas City. We stayed at the Hampton Inn there. Clean, comfortable, pleasant staff. If I have your dates correctly, Hampton Inn Texas City is $101 and up right now. There are also a few other hotels nearby that looked perfectly nice from the exterior; check trip adviser for those. There is food and shopping in the area, too.

Our reason for staying there was different from yours. We could get affordable hotel rates in Galveston, but we could not get a one way pre-cruise rental car to Galveston We were able to get one to Texas City. The reason not withstanding, we made the same trip as you would the morning of the cruise. The hotel is right off the highway and so a quick ride over to Galveston the day of the cruise. We went to port early, so no traffic delays at all.

I'd suggest you lock in a good rate on a reservation now in Texas City or one of the nearby areas. If a good rate comes out for Galveston later, you can happily cancel and stay in Galveston. If not, you can stay on the mainland then park at port; that's pretty easy.

Edited by Starry Eyes

Take a look at Texas City. We stayed at the Hampton Inn there. Clean, comfortable, pleasant staff. If I have your dates correctly, Hampton Inn Texas City is $101 and up right now. There are also a few other hotels nearby that looked perfectly nice from the exterior; check trip adviser for those. There is food and shopping in the area, too.

Our reason for staying there was different from yours. We could get affordable hotel rates in Galveston, but we could not get a one way pre-cruise rental car to Galveston We were able to get one to Texas City. The reason not withstanding, we made the same trip as you would the morning of the cruise. The hotel is right off the highway and so a quick ride over to Galveston the day of the cruise. We went to port early, so no traffic delays at all.

I'd suggest you lock in a good rate on a reservation now in Texas City or one of the nearby areas. If a good rate comes out for Galveston later, you can happily cancel and stay in Galveston. If not, you can stay on the mainland then park at port; that's pretty easy.

Thank you so much!! This is why I love Cruise Critic so much. :)

• 2 months later...

We stayed at the Lost Bayou Bed & Breakfast in Galveston the night before our April 26th cruise. Dave & Maria were wonderful hosts. The room was nice with it's own bathroom. They have a room where they offer snacks and drinks and a full breakfast in the morning. They also have 2 beach cruiser bikes you can borrow. We used them to ride down to The Strand for dinner. We had a great time here and it is worth looking into if you need to stay. We paid $165 for a Saturday night. I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have.