Gratuities Again

dortrust

I know this topic has probably been beat to death but my search is not coming up with answers. Can you get the automatic gratuities removed? Read facts about Europeans and Japanese expect a service charge. We would prefer to make our own decisions on who to tip and how much. Definitely not trying to get out of this but not sure how it all works. Opinions Please

I know this topic has probably been beat to death but my search is not coming up with answers. Can you get the automatic gratuities removed? Read facts about Europeans and Japanese expect a service charge. We would prefer to make our own decisions on who to tip and how much. Definitely not trying to get out of this but not sure how it all works. Opinions Please

If you'd like to know how it works, check out the FAQ on NCL's website, and be sure to read the section on it in the Guest Ticket Contract (also on the website).

Know that on NCL gratuities are totally optional and not required in any way. You will be charged a $12pp/pd service charge during the cruise (which you may prepay). The Service Charge is NOT a gratuity. It goes to the company, not directly to employees. You don't want to confuse the two.

Of course, if any crew members provide exceptional services, you are free to tip them at your complete discretion.

If you'd like to know how it works, check out the FAQ on NCL's website, and be sure to read the section on it in the Guest Ticket Contract (also on the website).

Know that on NCL gratuities are totally optional and not required in any way. You will be charged a $12pp/pd service charge during the cruise (which you may prepay). The Service Charge is NOT a gratuity. It goes to the company, not directly to employees. You don't want to confuse the two.

Of course, if any crew members provide exceptional services, you are free to tip them at your complete discretion.

Er, what????

The service charge is shared between certain members of the crew like your stateroom steward, waiter, assistant waiter, etc. Bar staff get 15% of the drink charge and butlers and concierges get nothing above their regular wage and rely on gratuities from suite/platinum guests.

The problem with attempting to do it yourself doesn't work too well when considering the freestyle concept. Whereas YOU may have the best intentions to reward servers as you go, others would/could use that excuse to avoid paying anything at all.

Go with the flow. Trust me, if this is your first cruise, you will most likely be pleased that's all it's costing for the kind of service you'll get!

Can you get the automatic gratuities removed?
All you have to do is ask at the front desk at any time during your cruise.
We would prefer to make our own decisions on who to tip and how much. Definitely not trying to get out of this but not sure how it all works. Opinions Please
I have no problem with that as long as the cash tips you distribute around the ship to housekeeping and dining staff add up to at least $12 per day (for you, and for each additional person in your cabin) by the end of your cruise, assuming that the level of service provided is acceptable to you. Anything less than that and you cannot defend yourself against the accusation that you simply wanted to get out of paying the recommended amount.

To answer your question, yes you may remove the service charges, simply go to the customer service desk, remember that it is difficult to tip everyone who will provide you service, such as the people who have laundered your towels etc, but it is completely Your choice! People get so heated about this.. It it not a mandatory charge if it was they would put it as part of the cruise, so use your discretion.

It it not a mandatory charge if it was they would put it as part of the cruise, so use your discretion.

No they wouldn't. There are a lot of reasons why businesses charge service charges separately - possible different handling of taxes being one.

We have been on several cruises and like the fact that we don't have to figure out how much or who to tip (except the folks we tip extra) but we often wonder: how do we really know that all the tip money actually goes to the employees???

how do we really know that all the tip money actually goes to the employees???
The same way you know, when you leave a credit card tip at a restaurant, that it actually goes to the server. Or the same way you know, when you donate to a charity, that your money actually goes to the cause you are helping. You don't know. If you are that suspicious and mistrustful (both of NCL, and of the crew's capacity to look after their own interests), then you should remove the DSC and tip directly in cash.

Back in 1988 cruising was an "all cash basis". You used cash on-board for drinks, photos, etc. There were envelopes in your cabin. The last night of the cruise it was customary to put money in the envelopes and pass them out the last night of the cruise. YOU WOULD FIND THE MAIN DINING ROOM 3/4 EMPTY. Showing that most people skipped out on the gratuity, therefore causing the workers to actually be paid rather scantily for their hard work.

Most main stream cruiselines have now gone to cashless on the cruise with the Daily Service Charge/Hotel Service Charge. That fee is what used to be the gratuity. The cruiselines do not pay the workers a substantial salary, and use the DSC to ensure a decent wage for the workers. Many don't like this method, unfortunately, it is what it is. The cruiselines, for whatever reason have decided this is the best way for them to do business.

While a tip or gratuity is supposed to be voluntary, on cruises it is best to consider it mandatory and part of your cruise fare. I just know that amount will be on my account at the end of the cruise. If I want to give someone an additional amount, that is totally up to me. If someone can't live with the DSC then maybe cruising isn't the best vacation for them.

Back in 1988 cruising was an "all cash basis". You used cash on-board for drinks, photos, etc. There were envelopes in your cabin. The last night of the cruise it was customary to put money in the envelopes and pass them out the last night of the cruise. YOU WOULD FIND THE MAIN DINING ROOM 3/4 EMPTY. Showing that most people skipped out on the gratuity, therefore causing the workers to actually be paid rather scantily for their hard work.

Most main stream cruiselines have now gone to cashless on the cruise with the Daily Service Charge/Hotel Service Charge. That fee is what used to be the gratuity. The cruiselines do not pay the workers a substantial salary, and use the DSC to ensure a decent wage for the workers. Many don't like this method, unfortunately, it is what it is. The cruiselines, for whatever reason have decided this is the best way for them to do business.

While a tip or gratuity is supposed to be voluntary, on cruises it is best to consider it mandatory and part of your cruise fare. I just know that amount will be on my account at the end of the cruise. If I want to give someone an additional amount, that is totally up to me. If someone can't live with the DSC then maybe cruising isn't the best vacation for them.

Perfectly said, Eleanor!

The reason cruise lines have adopted this model is probably due to human nature.

In the old days, the cruise lines printed recommended amounts for the various services: Room steward, head waiter, assistant waiter and maitre'd.

I am sure that many, when it came to the end of the cruise and money was running short, decided to trim what they left in the envelope. And I am certain that more than a few conveniently lost the envelope. After all, in most cases you will never see these people again. Is the room steward going to chase you down the hall asking if you forgot his envelope?

I for one, appreciate the fact that I don't have to worry about dealing with this issue while on vacation. And yes, we do tip extra if warranted.

I did ask our waiter in one of the specialties if we put a tip on the charge receipt would it go to him. He said that they pay him the tips accrued on a weekly basis.

Go to guest services and they will remove them NO questions asked. Then ask for tip envelopes which they will give you and stuff them as you see fit.

I sailed on the NCL Star in Dec and saw a lot of people leave a few dollars on the dinner table. I assume they want to reward the people who serve them directly without NCL using it for their own purposes and taking a % out.

I agree tipping for services rendered is appropriate but some people get carried away, Also I don't believe all the posters who say they tip so much extra but if they really do then it balances out with those of us who tipped the recommended amount without extra.

Edited by cruzsnooze