Convince me to switch to NCL from Carnival

breenw

We are Diamond level with Carnival but have never sailed on NCL. I understand that overall the regular cabins are smaller than what you get on Carnival. Can you give me advice on what ship we should try and what type of suite we should book? I've read a little about the Haven cabins but I'm having trouble finding info on how big they are and the area I believe is called The Havens where you have access to a special pool area????

Just trying to decide whether or not to try NCL. Thanks for your advice in advance.

NCL for my wife and I is unquestionably the better cruise line. We are Late 20's early 30's. The entertainment is far better on NCL then Carnival hands down. The atmosphere and culture was much more relaxed and pleasant. The food overall IMHO was much better on NCL. The only thing that we really prefer on Carnival is the Pizza, but that is such a minor thing it doesnt effect our choices. If you cruise in Suites then NCL is FAR superior with regards to the perks.

The easiest way to "convince" you is this. Your experience will NOT be any worse on NCL. A cruise is a cruise in the end. If you enjoy cruising then either trip will be a great on for you. For us we had many crusies on RCCL and Carnival and after our first in the Epic with NCL we never looked back and have been with them ever since because we have a far superior time on their boats.

Enjoy!!

6&8

Just got off the Getaway, having sailed many times on Carnival.

No camparison..NCL is far and away the better cruise...much better food, more selection,,much better entertainment and activitites....and for us a much more comfortable passenger mix to interact with

For NCL, you would get electricity while in the Caribbean!! I kid

For the Breakaway/Getaway (NCL's 2 newest ships), you have the Waterfront on deck 7 and it's amazing! I enjoyed walking on the Waterfront. There's also the ropes course and it's pretty fun even when you have a fear of heights. You also have free fall water slides too.

For the Epic, you have the Blue Man Group onboard although their contract will be up by next month. Epic also has a pretty epic rock climbing wall and on some days, they also have a rappelling wall (using the same rock climbing wall). Epic also has the bowl slide and I loved it. I also love the gym on the Epic. The Epic, Breakaway, and Getaway are the 3 big ships of NCL right now but things are pretty spread out so you never really feel that it's crowded.

I have also been on the Jewel class ships and the Dawn class ships and they are also nice. They are the smaller ships (compared to Breakaway class or Epic) so you get a smaller feel to it. I imagine these ships will be similar to the mid-size Carnival ships.

As for suites, I have only stayed in a Penthouse Suite on the Jade (Jewel-class ship). You get pretty pampered by butler, room steward, and concierge. You also get to eat at a different restaurant (be it Cagneys or Modernos) for breakfast and lunch and you get WAY MORE privacy than you do at the buffet or a sit-down restaurant. The waiters will also treat you VERY well as they know people who dine in Cagneys (or Moderno's) for breakfast and/or lunch are the VIPs of the ship. Do note that the Penthouse Suite isn't in the Haven unless you choose the Penthouse that's in the Haven. We weren't allowed to enter the Haven. However, we will be staying in Haven 2 room suite this upcoming May on the Jade again so I can't wait for that.

Edited by GoAndHaveFun

We are giving NCL another try because of the UBP, UDP and OBC promotion they have going right now. In 2007 when we tried NCL we didn't like the main dining room food and really didn't like the Freestyle dining either. I did like the entertainment, thought they did a much better job on debarkation, can't remember what else but we still enjoyed our cruise.

I always said that if I ever sailed in a suite it would be on NCL because they have the best suite benefits. Deciding we might try a suite is how I discovered the current promotion. It was a no brainer to give the suite & NCL a try.

If you are going to try NCL then this promotion is a great deal. I have sailed mostly on Carnival, sailed NCL & RCCL once each. They are more the same then different. They have good points and bad points, we don't all like the same things. You may find that you like them both or one better than the other.

We have a carnival cruise booked for january 2016, and I think we're changing to NCL. The promo make the within $200 of each other, but I will get the drink package included with NCL. Since this will be our first cruise away from the kiddos, basically our first vacation alone in 9 years by that point, we're going to want the booze! Lol

We have sailed Carnival and most recently just finished a Disney cruise. I sailed NCL years ago when I was just out of highschool. I remember it being more of the middle ground.

Try them then you will know. If you are diamond you obviously sail a bit.

NCL and Carnival are pretty much a like in my book. I prefer Carnival and I'm not sure why, as I said they are a lot a like. That being said, I am booked on NCL but for the itinerary not the ship.

We have found the change to some NCL cruises very refreshing. Not the same old, same old after many cruises on Carnival. (and if you are Diamond, you know what I mean) Love the freestyle dining on the ships, and the entertainment on the larger ships puts Carnival to shame. Food is food to us, but we do love the specialty restaurants. Have never eaten in the dining room on NCL!! The balcony cabins seem smaller than CCL (especially on Epic) and the bathroom layout is different (enclosed toilet is tiny) but if you are going Haven, the perks put Carnival suites to shame. I would definitely give NCL a try.

We are Diamond level with Carnival but have never sailed on NCL. I understand that overall the regular cabins are smaller than what you get on Carnival. Can you give me advice on what ship we should try and what type of suite we should book? I've read a little about the Haven cabins but I'm having trouble finding info on how big they are and the area I believe is called The Havens where you have access to a special pool area????

Just trying to decide whether or not to try NCL. Thanks for your advice in advance.

Based on your profile, you are a very experienced cruiser. If you want to try NCL, go for the suite life. That is where NCL is strong.

Our experience was on the NCL Jade, non-haven, 2 bedroom penthouse suite. Some videos.

[YOUTUBE]POIy0VzgXGw[/YOUTUBE]

Breakfast at Cagney's

[YOUTUBE]BYgGcK5QUQY[/YOUTUBE]

Blog

http://guitar123foodandtravel.blogspot.sg/p/norwegian-jade-ncl-cruise-greece-turkey.html