visas for Vietnam century 8th March 2015

plumstead

We have got our visas two weeks ago,we got an email from celebrity on Sunday 8th to say they are àrranging visas for just the 2 days we visit Vietnam has anyone brought their visas like us ??

If anyone has have they contacted Celebrity ?? And what was their comments

Beware out-of-date advice - things changed from January this year.

I think the ship still provides the visa & charges your on-board account, but you're required to take with you two passport photos.

This from posts on the forum, not personal experience, so best to double-check - though cruise line office staff (any cruise line) seem to lack knowledge about issues such as visas and are often guilty of giving incorrect info.

JB :)

Beware out-of-date advice - things changed from January this year.

I think the ship still provides the visa & charges your on-board account, but you're required to take with you two passport photos.

This from posts on the forum, not personal experience, so best to double-check - though cruise line office staff (any cruise line) seem to lack knowledge about issues such as visas and are often guilty of giving incorrect info.

Vietnam "tried" to change policy January this year...but have gone back after much upset from local tourism.

http://tuoitrenews.vn/society/25368/...vietnam-by-sea

Hope this link is of some help to those with questions about about this subject.

Hope this link is of some help to those with questions about about this subject.

Thanks for the update, Ashland.

Seven stamps instead of one? :eek:

My, how communist authorities love their paperwork. :rolleyes:

And no wonder they've had to back-track on that.

The important thing is it seems visas are still dealt with on the ship, rather than individuals having to arrange them ahead of time. :)

Though as per my post, cruisers have been reporting that they've been told to take two passport-size photos with them.

The more interesting thing is the fee. The (now apparently stalled) increase from $5 to $45.

Not the potential increase, but the fact that certainly until the end of last year the visa cost the cruise lines only $5.

I'll wager no-one's ever been charged just $5.

I think the average charge amongst cruise lines is around $25 per passenger. On a 2000-pax ship that's a $40,000 profit for the cruise line

Kerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrching.

Thanks for the update, Ashland.

Seven stamps instead of one? :eek:

My, how communist authorities love their paperwork. :rolleyes:

And no wonder they've had to back-track on that.

The important thing is it seems visas are still dealt with on the ship, rather than individuals having to arrange them ahead of time. :)

Though as per my post, cruisers have been reporting that they've been told to take two passport-size photos with them.

The more interesting thing is the fee. The (now apparently stalled) increase from $5 to $45.

Not the potential increase, but the fact that certainly until the end of last year the visa cost the cruise lines only $5.

I'll wager no-one's ever been charged just $5.

I think the average charge amongst cruise lines is around $25 per passenger. On a 2000-pax ship that's a $40,000 profit for the cruise line

Kerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrching.

You're very welcome.

Yes we know to bring a passport photo with us and am expecting the fee for the visa to be no more than $50.00pp...but the confusion on this has been crazy for many of us who'll be sailing in a few weeks.

Will post upon my return exactly how this all worked out.

We are British and we emailed the Vietnam Embassy to ask did we need full visas and they said yes. Travel Agents won't take any resposiblity for visas you are told to contact the embassy concered, we also asked Celebrity and RCC and they both said the same.

If when we get on the ship and find out that they will get visas for you we will take things further.

I have an upcoming trip (leaving tomorrow, yay) and visiting both Vietnam and Cambodia.

Passengers were advised very early on that the ship would handle obtaining visas for us and at no charge to us. (So there, John!! Although technically I guess your statement as it stands is still correct, as we will not be charged $5!)

We still need to provide the passport photos.

This is with Voyages to Antiquity.