Silhouette Review - 1/18-25 - Love this ship

njaloha

BACKGROUND

We are a mid-50's couple from New Jersey looking for a winter getaway. This was our third time sailing the Silhouette to the Caribbean. The first was out of Bayonne (12-night Southern) and the second was a Western Caribbean from Fort Lauderdale in January 2013 so we had previous cruises to which we could compare this most recent one.

HOTEL PRE-STAY and TRANSPORTATION TO SHIP

We stayed in South Beach prior to the cruise. We had a rental car that we picked up in Miami to take day trips and drive around South Beach (wasn't bad at all but I'm from NJ and used to traffic) which we returned to Fort Lauderdale. (Hertz) When we returned the car, we asked if we could be taken to the curbside taxi stand at arrivals because we were going on a cruise and Joe said he'd drive us to the port! I popped into the back seat and our driver took over. He knew a back way to the port skipping all the traffic backed up on the bridge. Surprisingly we arrived before noon.

EMBARKATION AND PROCESSING

This was the easiest of all our embarkation processes ever. We cruised Aqua Class and had no problems. I got yelled at in security for using so many bins (sorry, used to the airport security). Other than that, we were processed quickly and on the ship eating lunch at The Porch (which was empty) by 12:30. Around 1pm our cabin was ready so we made our way down to deck 11.

SHIP INFORMATION

I get so excited boarding such a beautiful and massive vessel. I was jumping up and down on the gangway. The ship is in excellent shape. All during the voyage, we saw crew cleaning and power washing, vacuuming and sprucing up bathrooms. The only wear and tear I saw was in the cabin. I have to agree with Host Anne's review - the Solstice Class ships are among the most beautiful ships on the seas. The Silhouette is absolutely a classy ship. The artwork is a bit weird, some I just didn't get. The video at the Molecular Bar needs updating. It's the same as when the ship was first built running the same loop over and over and I swear it is digitally weak and dull.

We got a little tired of the constant push to buy watches and jewelry so we learned ways to dodge those sections of the ship to get back to our cabin.

CABIN

We love sailing in Aqua Class (A2) at the front of the ship out of the way and close to the spa, Aqua Spa cafe, Solarium pool and the Relaxation Lounge. After a hot day of site-seeing and shopping there's nothing like the cool silence of the relaxation lounge with its spectacular view of the port.

Our cabin was as expected - bed by the window, uncomfortable couch in between bed and closet. Spacious bathroom. We never find storage a problem with these cabins. We found a place for everything and the suitcases fit under the bed to use as hampers. Bed was extremely comfortable with plenty of pillows.

The only problem we had with the cabin was that the safe didn't work (dead battery) and the door to the safe cabinet was falling off the hinges. Both problems were resolved before bedtime the first night.

I can say that the cabin was in excellent shape but that the outside handle to the slider needed paint. The current paint was pealing off.

CREW

I think that after the week-long break the crew was changed out. Every where we went we heard crew members say they had just gotten back from vacation and this was their first time on the Silhouette. Many in Blu looked like they didn't know what they were doing. Some waiters were very slow while others were super hyper. I would have felt more comfortable with a more consistent feel. Sometimes we were totally ignored for what was probably only 5 minutes (seemed longer) before we were greeted by the waiter or assistant waiter. One time we were shown to a table that wasn't completely reset. Little things.

But hands down, the Captain could not love his crew more than any other captain even though he was new to the ship this cruise. During his conversation in the theater he talked about his crew as if they were his family and reminded us that the ship was their home and we were their guests. We go home, he said, but they stay because this is their home. The Captain was an inspiring public speaker, very engaging.

Our Cabin Attendant kept our cabin in tip top shape. She was truly lovely. I only saw her assistant once when I needed to track down some toilet paper.

The only negative about one member of the crew that I truly hate to say but must - a little too much camaraderie and flirty childish fooling around on the job. Save the silly behavior for your down time.

ACTIVITIES/ENTERTAINMENT

The pool music was surprisingly young sounding and very Latin and loud. I don't know who the group was that I heard doing rock songs but the singer was horribly off key and could not carry the song he was singing. He didn't have the voice of a rock singer.

We didn't attend any show except one - we peeked at the xylophone player. Comment heard in the elevator, "He obviously had talent but one song started to sound just like the rest."

BARS

Molecular Bar - awesome bar, awesome drinks. Outside the watch display and on the way to the theater on deck 5. We went there every night. My husband upgraded his free classic alcohol for $80 just so he could drink there every night. Woo Hoo! Enjoyed an off-menu concoction one night. But as I mention before, the video running on the wall behind the bar needs an update. Looks digitally tired and faded.

DINING

Lunch at Aqua Spa Cafe and/or the Oceanview. I really like that the Aqua Spa cafe had the same basic menu every day. The food quality was excellent. There was a gluten free bread pudding that was to die for. I wanted to swim in it, it was that good. NOM NOM NOM. My DH liked the Oceanview for the Indian food and salad options that helped him stay on track with his eating plan. So I grabbed something from ASC and joined him in the buffet.

We grabbed burgers one afternoon from the Mast Grill. Very yummy.

Most afternoons we would grab a latte (DH) and decaf tea (ME) and a little gnosh at Cafe Al Bacio while sitting at a table by the window. We'd read here or just stare into each others' eyes.

We dined in Blu every night but the last night which we spent at the Lawn Club Grill with friends we met through CC Connections party (excellent - too much food but we had a great time - what a blast).

The food and service in Blu did not entirely meet our expectations and we were a little disappointed based on our past experience. The food was good but not great. My favorite is the way the lobster is presented with an orange sauce. Very unique and delicious.

Unfortunately, one night we sat next to a table of eight that flat out blasted the maitre d one night. They complained very loudly about the food quality and temperature and the slow service. I think it was wrong of them to be so vocal in the middle of the restaurant like that, the entire time they were there. One woman sent her food back twice. :eek:

I don't mind slow service on a cruise, really where do you have to go in such a hurry. But I like to be acknowledged quickly upon arrival at the table. And when our menus are closed we shouldn't have to wait 10 minutes or more before someone takes our order or brings those fabulous bread sticks.

The dress code in Blu is Resort Casual. One night my husband wore his shorts and a collared shirt and was allowed in by the assistant maitre d but the next night the Head Maitre D asked him to go back to the cabin to change into long pants. We are fully to blame but we just forgot. I actually thought to myself, why is he wearing shorts, and didn't think to tell him he should change. We knew better but I guess we were just relaxed and lulled into obliviousness. On another note, on formal night, a gentleman showed up wearing long pants and an athletic shirt similar to an under armour brand shirt with the logo on the upper left corner of the front of the shirt. Resort Casual to me is collared shirt and pants.

Again a little thing but if you're going to ask someone to change then be consistent with your dress code enforcement.

Overall, for future cruisers, we weren't displeased with Blu enough to not dine there and prefer it to the MDR.

PORT and SHORE EXCURSIONS

San Juan - Walked to the Fort

We had never been to San Juan and didn't know what we were doing but knew we wanted to see the fort. I think went about it the wrong way. We walked through some sketchy areas. Old town wasn't as well kept as I thought it would be. However, the fort was amazing. Gorgeous views, even from the ladies room (hee hee). Beautiful weather. Stunning sailaway.

St. Kitts - Ship Excursion

We went to the Fairview Greathouse Rum Tasting through the ship. This tour should be listed as Island Rum Tasting and Rum History. Not Island History. The driver of our comfortable shuttle to the great house drove us past and commented on the medical schools, a statue, and some 'Irish' housing. During the rum tasting our lovely guide asked if our driver had taken us certain places but we said no and thought we got jipped. The rum tasting and tour of the greathouse were fine. We bought rum there and then found the same stuff in the shops by the ship for $5 cheaper. I actually think I can get it at my local Shop Rite since they have an office in NJ and I swear I've seen the label.

St. Maarten - Shopping on our own

We took the water taxi to Phillipsburg to walk and shop. We bought Tommy Bahama clothes and some booze which was delivered to our ship. I was a little leery of this since we wouldn't know until the last night if the items had actually been delivered but it all worked out. We finished our shopping trip with a drink at the Blue Bitch Bar at Taloulah Mango's. Cooled off here since the weather was sunny and quite warm and humid. Next time we'll do a tour.

DISEMBARKATION

Smooth. We were told to vacate cabins by 8am and our time for departure was 9am. We went down to the theater at 8:30 and waited an hour. Our number was called by 9:30 and we were off the ship and processed by 10:15 (at the curb waiting for our guy from Hertz to pick us up). We were in our rental car for the rest of our trip by 11am. The only downside was that it was COLD and very breezy waiting to get into the terminal building. oh well. BAck to reality.

SUMMARY

We love sailing Celebrity and especially the Silhouette because we love Aqua Class and the general classy feel of the ship. We've had opportunities to sail out of NJ on Royal and passed them up to fly down to Florida for the Silhouette. We even booked next year same week. We just love it that much.

FOOTNOTE:

Regarding Connections Party at The Porch - Actually turned out pretty cool. What a beautiful place to spend sailaway and because it's close to the Sunset Bar, an easy walk to get a drink if you don't like mimosa.

Thanks NJ!

Did you happen to take pictures of the bar / drink menus? We also have the Premium Beverage package on our March cruise.

Unfortunately, I did not take bar menu pics. My DH took Molecular Bar pictures of drinks AND menu pages but not the entire menu. He took them to recreate certain drinks at home. Won't be exact but fun to try anyway.

He had the PBP and everything he drank was covered. Everything. Except for one glass of wine at dinner that was $14.50 so he paid $1.50. Otherwise, he signed for nothing, ever. Everything at the Molecular Bar was covered.

DH says he'll stick those pics of Molecular Bar menu and drinks into our drop box and I'll post them later. ;)

Great summary, can't wait for our cruise!

We weren't sure what we were going to do in San Juan but the walk to the Fort (if we find the right way, LOL!) sounds like a nice idea.

Thanks!

There's a free tram that circles old town stopping at different places along the way. I saw it from the ship but wasn't sure where it stopped near the ship. We caught it at the fort to return to the ship. last one leaves the fort at 5:30 and stops at the castle before heading down to the area near the ship. We weren't sure what the tram route was and we saw the ship so we ended up getting off up hill a few blocks from the ship at the top of Calle Paseo de Colon. It turns out that was stop 3.

Now, as we walked up to the fort, we passed the statue of Ponce de Leon. And ended up on Calle Luna and walked down to Calle San Jose which we took to a set of stairs that led to a fountain, turned a corner and there was the lawn and the fort and the huge vista of ocean.

By the way, must shout out to Walkin'inMemphis (Mindy and Phil) for taking us under their wing at the Connections Party and helping us to meet new people during the party and the entire cruise.

Anyone who might hesitate to want to attend the connections party (like I did), reconsider. Meeting new people really made the whole cruise even more fun. We kept bumping into people all week long that we had met at the party.

Great review! We were on the same sailing and also spent every evening at the Molecular Bar, both before and after dinner. We wanted to adopt Jelena and Darko (mixologists) and bring them home with us. They were just great.

We probably saw you there. Were you there the night 6 of us got the off-menu shot of something awesome and secret. We were told, "Not for sipping, is SHOT!" Jelena made it. :)

Yes, we were there, I also got a "shot"!

Well, hi there! We were on the right side as you look at the bar. My DH most likely was wearing an aloha shirt. Didn't get to meet you at the Connections Party. Didn't make the connection at the bar. LOL

Well, hi there! We were on the right side as you look at the bar. My DH most likely was wearing an aloha shirt. Didn't get to meet you at the Connections Party. Didn't make the connection at the bar. LOL

I don't remember what I was wearing but I have very short grey hair. I think remember your group.

We were only at the connections party for a very short time, we always hang out at the Sunset Bar for sailaway.

Great review-thanks!

We were on the same sailing and found the same issues with the crew, a lot of new crew members who seemed "lost". The Captain was great, I agree!

We may have seen you at the Molecular Bar as well. We were a large group of 22, and we had pre dinner drinks there a few nights. Definitely the first formal night. On the second formal night, we were all dressed Gatsby style, but we ended up at the Martini bar that night. We also met Mindy and Philip and they were great!

Edited by Momto5

Great review-thanks!

We were on the same sailing and found the same issues with the crew, a lot of new crew members who seemed "lost". The Captain was great, I agree!

We may have seen you at the Molecular Bar as well. We were a large group of 22, and we had pre dinner drinks there a few nights. Definitely the first formal night. On the second formal night, we were all dressed Gatsby style, but we ended up at the Martini bar that night. We also met Mindy and Philip and they were great!

Oh yes! We met you at the Molecular Bar and at Mindy and Phil's the last formal night!!!