Parking in Charleston???

molly5673

Hubby and I cruised in May, he has the handicapped plaquard. We pulled into the cruise parking showed them the plaquard and ID. It was free, they had us park inside a building and just outside was the van to cross over to the terminal. They didn't even wait for the van to fill up. As soon as second van pulled up behind us, he took us over, so it was a short wait.

Hubby and I cruised in May, he has the handicapped plaquard. We pulled into the cruise parking showed them the plaquard and ID. It was free, they had us park inside a building and just outside was the van to cross over to the terminal. They didn't even wait for the van to fill up. As soon as second van pulled up behind us, he took us over, so it was a short wait.

Thank you so much for the quick reply

I cruised with my father in law out of Charleston (I drove and he brought a along his handicap placard) this past October.

Parking was free at the port.

The parking attendants ask if anyone in the vehicle needs handicapped parking at the first tents in the parking lot. I said "yes" and pointed to my father in law and presented his handicap placard (my FIL had knee replacement surgery a few months prior to our sail date and his physician filled out the forms for a handicapped placard for him.) The attendant gave us a striped card in our vehicle dash that identified our vehicle as handicapped parking. They had us pull forward to the 2nd tent (where you would normally pay.) That attendant saw the dash card and told us to drive on thru. My mother in law was blurting out from the back seat "but don't we need to pay?" as we were pulling away... (Since we have always invited along and chauffeured my wife's parents to the port with us in our vehicle, they have always paid for parking (4hr drive).)

Enjoy your cruise and smooth sailing. :-)

Edited by MarkAndSandy

I cruised with my father in law out of Charleston (I drove and he brought a along his handicap placard) this past October.

Parking was free at the port.

The parking attendants ask if anyone in the vehicle needs handicapped parking at the first tents in the parking lot. I said "yes" and pointed to my father in law and presented his handicap placard (my FIL had knee replacement surgery a few months prior to our sail date and his physician filled out the forms for a handicapped placard for him.) The attendant gave us a striped card in our vehicle dash that identified our vehicle as handicapped parking. They had us pull forward to the 2nd tent (where you would normally pay.) That attendant saw the dash card and told us to drive on thru. My mother in law was blurting out from the back seat "but don't we need to pay?" as we were pulling away... (Since we have always invited along and chauffeured my wife's parents to the port with us in our vehicle, they have always paid for parking (4hr drive).)

Enjoy your cruise and smooth sailing. :-)

Thank you

• 2 weeks later...

It's not just the port that's free parking. If you have a valid handicapped permit, you can park for free at all parking meters, City parking garages and handicapped marked spaces. The only place that doesn't work are the private parking lots that have signs with flat fee parking where you pay as you enter and have an attendant standing there.

Edited by ChucktownSteve

• 2 weeks later...
I was talking to carnival and she told me parking isnt free for handicapped people. I can't get a straight answer. I just want to know.

So you gonna believe a person in Miami who's probably never been to Charleston? rofl How many times have you read on CC that if you call a cruise line ten times, you'll get ten answers? (doesn't matter which line) :rolleyes:

Just to make you feel better and remove any parking anxiety you may have, you can get it from the "horse's mouth" The port of Charleston web site.

http://www.port-of-charleston.com/cruises/documents/Cruise_FAQs.pdf

Look on page two, third paragraph down and again in the fifth paragraph.

Now please enjoy your cruise from Charleston. :D

Edited by ChucktownSteve

So you gonna believe a person in Miami who's probably never been to Charleston? rofl How many times have you read on CC that if you call a cruise line ten times, you'll get ten answers? (doesn't matter which line) :rolleyes:

Just to make you feel better and remove any parking anxiety you may have, you can get it from the "horse's mouth" The port of Charleston web site.

Yeah that's true. I saw it on the port website but I just wanted to talk to someone. I called an has to leave a message.

Yeah that's true. I saw it on the port website but I just wanted to talk to someone. I called an has to leave a message.

I understand you want to talk with someone, Molly, but see what talking to someone got you from Carnival? :p I would be very surprised if the peeps at the port would call you back since it's clearly stated on their web site. Besides, I also mentioned that parking is free with a valid handicapped parking sticker. Ask yourself, have I ever lied to you before? :cool:

Edited by ChucktownSteve

I wouldn't even count on them even being in Miami at that. I have talked to a couple NCL reps and one was in Arizona and the other Montana if I recall correctly. Heck, the Arizona one (we chatted a bit) said she had never even been to the east coast. :eek: