Cagneys or Teppinaiki on Breakaway

RShow1017

Both are good, so it depends upon what you are looking for.

Cagney's is a steak house and the steaks and most sides are good and the service is usually excellent. They have a few seafood or fish entrees, which I thought were usually okay, but not as good as the steaks. The atmosphere is quiet and elegant. It feels like a "special" meal.

Teppanyaki, on the other hand, is a Japanese steakhouse, complete with a fun and highly skilled chef who cooks in front of you. It's more about entertainment than elegance. There is often a lot of laughter. I think their food is very good and my kids love their shrimp.

DHs favorite is Cagney's, but our favorite for the whole family is Teppanyaki. You would probably enjoy either one, depending upon what you are looking for.

Edited by cruis247g

Both are good, so it depends upon what you are looking for.

Cagney's is a steak house and the steaks and most sides are good and the service is usually excellent. They have a few seafood or fish entrees, which I thought were usually okay, but not as good as the steaks. The atmosphere is quiet and elegant. It feels like a "special" meal.

Teppanyaki, on the other hand, is a Japanese steakhouse, complete with a fun and highly skilled chef who cooks in front of you. It's more about entertainment than elegance. There is often a lot of laughter. I think their food is very good and my kids love their shrimp.

DHs favorite is Cagney's, but our favorite for the whole family is Teppanyaki. You would probably enjoy either one, depending upon what you are looking for.

That can vary. When we went last year our "chef" must have been in training. He dropped four eggs trying to do his tricks. The food was good though and other times we have gone to Teppanyaki on other ships the chefs were good.

I would go with Cagney's in a heartbeat. You can easily duplicate the Teppanyaki experience elsewhere. Quality and price about the same as here at home. When we have gone there it was for the entertainment value alone. The food has always been just "meh".

But, no way you are going to duplicate the food at Cagney's, which IMO was every bit as good as a very high end steakhouse, for the $30 cover back at home. And that includes Le Bistro, which is also excellent and has a steak which almost equals Cagney's. Some like it better. And have you tried Moderno? It is worth the cover charge just for that buffet!

We tried Teppanyaki on the Gem last summer. It was fun and the food was delicious, but I would still pick Cagney's, Moderno, or Le Bistro first, unless there is no way for you to have Teppanyaki near your home. You could never ever have a meal on land equivalent to what you get at Cagney's, Moderno, or Le Bistro for the cover they charge (not even close). On the other hand, there are several Teppanyaki places near my home that are just as good as on the ship, that would cost approximately the same for the same meal.

Here are my 2 cents from when we were on the Breakaway last February.

Cagneys – We went there twice. The steaks were good and properly cooked to our order. I had the rib eye both times and my wife had the sirloin. The sides were very good and my eldest enjoyed the shrimp cocktail, filet and fries. I would say it's better than a Chili's but not nearly as good as Ruths Chris.

Teppanyaki – It was a great performance. Our daughter's loved it, but the potent smell of the soy sauce did start to bother our youngest one. All of us received the steak and shrimp meal. While tasty, the steak was over cooked. The shrimp was tasty as was the rice and noodles. If the OP lives in North NJ, it's like Mt Fuji, but not as good.

Here are my 2 cents from when we were on the Breakaway last February.

Cagneys – We went there twice. The steaks were good and properly cooked to our order. I had the rib eye both times and my wife had the sirloin. The sides were very good and my eldest enjoyed the shrimp cocktail, filet and fries. I would say it's better than a Chili's but not nearly as good as Ruths Chris.

Teppanyaki – It was a great performance. Our daughter's loved it, but the potent smell of the soy sauce did start to bother our youngest one. All of us received the steak and shrimp meal. While tasty, the steak was over cooked. The shrimp was tasty as was the rice and noodles. If the OP lives in North NJ, it's like Mt Fuji, but not as good.

Sorry, posted in wrong place.

Edited by cruis247g

Did Teppinaiki last summer on Breakaway and it was very good. On par with most hibachi place I have been to. Planning on eating there again this summer. Only did Cagney's on Star but enjoyed and have it on the list for this summer also.

If you enjoy hibachi you will like it.

We booked the UDP and planned the Teppanyaki for three nights; Cagneys two and Moderno twice.

Once on board we did the Teppanyaki and enjoyed it but I am sensitive to salt and change to mostly Cagneys. After a few meals trying mostly seafood we tired of the same menu and then booked LeBistro. They will modify their menus for lighter fare and this was the best of all.

DH did try the 8 oz filet and had to send it back. Asked for medium rare and the serving was almost well done.

So, check out the menus and enjoy the adventure!