Three Gorges Dam locks restrictions

digitl

News from a Century Cruises booking...

It appears that no cruises travelling from Chongqing to Yichang will be able to sail through the Three Gorges Dam ship locks until well into April or beyond and cruise ships will have to dock before they arrive at the locks. Passengers will stay on board overnight will not be able to sail through Xiling Gorge. Excursions to the Three Gorges Dam will continue to run.

Those sailing on the longer trip to Beijing will not be subject to the restriction.

Edited by digitl

And those traveling the other direction from Yichang up the river to Chongqing are not affected? Any explanation?

If the ships haven't gone through the locks in the Chongqing to Yichang direction, then I expect that they won't be going through in the reverse direction...

I don't get the connection to Bejing which is not anywhere near the Yangtze.

It didn't make sense to me but I passed it on in case it made sense to someone else.

Only thing I can think of is that Yichang is very close to the dam so if there are limits on traffic flow up and down for any reason it would make sense to stop at the dam rather than get into a long queue to go down and the same to get back up.

If traveling further than Yichang then it wouldn't make sense to stop...

Only thing I can think of is that Yichang is very close to the dam so if there are limits on traffic flow up and down for any reason it would make sense to stop at the dam rather than get into a long queue to go down and the same to get back up.

If traveling further than Yichang then it wouldn't make sense to stop...

My information is that 'large' ships are allowed through and only the cruises are being stopped.

It could be maintenance but I suspect it may also be something to do with water saving as 'river conditions' were mentioned to me.