TUI to Restructure and Change Thomson Cruises!! - Announcmen & Plans in May

I think it will be the Louis ships next, probably Spirit at the end of summer 2016 as they don't usually use the ship for the winter, then Majesty at the end of winter 2016/17. Legend of the Seas to replace Spirit and Mein Schiff 1 to replace Majesty.

Keep Dream and Celebration slightly longer as they've had more investment, but them to go at the end of winter 2017/18, with Mein Schiff 2 and Grandeur of the Seas replacing these.

Whatever happens, I think Legend of the Seas and Mein Schiff 1 & 2 though will definitely be part of the fleet over the next 3 years.

I don't think you're far wrong tbh, although if there is a big announcement in May, I can see things maybe happening a bit quicker than that.

If this "modernising" will make them more profitable, they're gonna want to do it ASAP, and can't see a press release in May forewarning of things to happen in 2-3 years time, but that said stranger things have happened with Thomson!

• 1 month later...

Some early conjecture -

http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/Articles/2015/05/11/54117/tui+tipped+to+outline+masterbrand+strategy.html

"Tui is also expected to outline plans to bring its Thomson Cruise and Hapag-Lloyd Kreuzfahrten operations into its joint venture with Royal Caribbean to improve cross-selling and operational synergies, according to a research note from Morgan Stanley."

As someone who just looks at this thread but hasn't done a Thomson Cruise. Do you think that they have listened and are wanting to have better ships?

I may be totally wrong but jus a thought.

PS Am not saying that the RCI option is the best though ------- you get the balconies but the other stuff as well ..................

at first glance this look like great news...the mein shiff's are coming, its what many have been calling for on here for a long time? its what a lot of members here really wanted... (me inc)....isnt it?

balconies...ice bars...sushi...climbing walls....:cool::cool:

maj & spirit's days definately look numbered?

the prices on the new discovery 2016 are not exactly competitive imo and how are thoms (opps! sorry...tui) going to fill all those (bigger) ships? unless?.... they are looking at other markets?

okay... so thoms have expanded cruise in the uk market in the last few years but the potential uk market is never gonna be vast?

people trust/know/even like the thomsons brand...its like branston pickle...consistent/you mostly know what your getting with a few surprises from time to time thrown in just to make you keep coming back in the hope that it gets even better

feeling a little uneasy?:confused:

Announced today the Mein Schiff 1 & 2 will definitely transfer to Thomson in the next couple of years. Surely the Majesty and Spirit/Celebration's days are numbered.

"will be moved to Thomson Cruises in the next few years" does not say couple of years!

remember the Louis contracts were extended 3 years which takes it through to end of 2017

at first glance this look like great news...the mein shiff's are coming, its what many have been calling for on here for a long time? its what a lot of members here really wanted... (me inc)....isnt it?

balconies...ice bars...sushi...climbing walls....:cool::cool:

maj & spirit's days definately look numbered?

the prices on the new discovery 2016 are not exactly competitive imo and how are thoms (opps! sorry...tui) going to fill all those (bigger) ships? unless?.... they are looking at other markets?

okay... so thoms have expanded cruise in the uk market in the last few years but the potential uk market is never gonna be vast?

people trust/know/even like the thomsons brand...its like branston pickle...consistent/you mostly know what your getting with a few surprises from time to time thrown in just to make you keep coming back in the hope that it gets even better

feeling a little uneasy?:confused:

Well said GEO

Does not mentioning additional RC ships mean the upgrade is just splendour and the Mein Schiffs? Maybe they are aiming at a 3 ship operation but with this they would still have problems positioning the ships in winter.

I don't think the age of the ships is important but the passenger experience is. For example the Celebration/Spirit 'wobble' is not suitable for a 'modern' experience. In any case no NEW ships means they are looking at Thomson/TUI as a cheap to run cash cow.

Does not mentioning additional RC ships mean the upgrade is just splendour and the Mein Schiffs? Maybe they are aiming at a 3 ship operation but with this they would still have problems positioning the ships in winter.

I don't think the age of the ships is important but the passenger experience is. For example the Celebration/Spirit 'wobble' is not suitable for a 'modern' experience. In any case no NEW ships means they are looking at Thomson/TUI as a cheap to run cash cow.

Don't think Celebration or Dream are going anywhere for a bit yet, so doubt it will be a 3 ship operation.

To be fair, they have never said they were getting new ships.

Dream is contracted til 2020. So she's going nowhere.

As for the fleet... Economy of scale. At the moment, excluding Dream, you have Spirit, Celebration, Majesty and Island Escape. In total, those 4 ships can carry 5504 passengers.

If you take just Mein Schiff 1 & 2 and Thomson Discovery, you have 5832 berths. Plus more economical ships, with more opportunities for onboard revenue. 3 ships versus 4 means one less Captain, one less Hotel Manager etc. so over heads will be lower.

Thomson will always be limited on their capacity because of the air capacity of their own airline.

Now the ships are Thomson/tho owned, I doubt you will see any ship laid up in the winter, like Island Escape and Spirit have been.

Tui Germany now have a ship in Dubai in the winter and are going to Asia too. So with one Thomson ship in the Canaries, two in the Caribbean... Where will the 4th go in winter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As for the fleet... Economy of scale. At the moment, excluding Dream, you have Spirit, Celebration, Majesty and Island Escape. In total, those 4 ships can carry 5504 passengers.

If you take just Mein Schiff 1 & 2 and Thomson Discovery, you have 5832 berths. Plus more economical ships, with more opportunities for onboard revenue. 3 ships versus 4 means one less Captain, one less Hotel Manager etc. so over heads will be lower.

Thomson will always be limited on their capacity because of the air capacity of their own airline.

Now the ships are Thomson/tho owned, I doubt you will see any ship laid up in the winter, like Island Escape and Spirit have been.

Tui Germany now have a ship in Dubai in the winter and are going to Asia too. So with one Thomson ship in the Canaries, two in the Caribbean... Where will the 4th go in winter?

Pity, of the Thomson ships she, for me IMO, has the least satisfactory onboard experience. The single cabin I had was fine, nice and quiet but the ships layout was, yuk! There was little difference between the bars. i like a nice 'sky bar' but there isnt one. You have the dark dismal main bar with dismal staff and the little delo bar, also dark and dismal, the disco bar is not used for anything in the evening and the Medusa bar is infested with 'jolly cruisers' intent on drinking the ship dry. The cruise director agreed with me that the bars were too 'samey'.

Island Escape is going and will not be apart of the Tui/Thomson brand, so that Discovery can replace her.

Also Tui and RCCL are building a new ship in a joint eventure. This ship is in Meyer Werft shipyard and should be finished by 2016/17. Whether she will replace another old ship or not, time will tell.

But Thomson use/charter other airlines' planes. We were with JetAirFly (part of TUI) from Edinburgh last year. This year we are on BA from Glasgow and the later flight is with EuropeAirPost!

Edited by Sheila49

Island Escape is going and will not be apart of the Tui/Thomson brand, so that Discovery can replace her.

Also Tui and RCCL are building a new ship in a joint eventure. This ship is in Meyer Werft shipyard and should be finished by 2016/17. Whether she will replace another old ship or not, time will tell.

Thanks for letting us know! :rolleyes:

Good new,s sauspud any news on her G.T and power plant

Good new,s sauspud any news on her G.T and power plant

Meyer Werft is building Mein Schiffs up to number 8 scheduled for delivery in 2019 and it would seem 2 of these would be likely canditates to replace MS1 and MS2. This would leave TUI germany with 6 modern ships in its fleet.

Ovation of the seas and 2 unnamed builds are for royal caribbean.

'Thomson' getting a new build might depend on how many ships TUI germany need.

not necessarily

they do deals with other airlines

for example: the canadian market is traditionally busier in the winter (than the british market)

the british/european market is traditionally busier in the summer

so they do deals amongst themselves to keep all the aircraft flying all of the time (even with mail/freight carriers)