Booked a big cruise😊

rcandkc

We have been on 5 regent cruises so far with #6 coming later this year, but we just booked the biggest trip we have ever done.....18 night Japan and China cruise with extra 3 day land tour. We are excited and I'm a little scared to be honest. I have health issues so it will be a challenge but want to go. Trip of a life time😀.

My travel agent is working on the travel insurance. We always get insurance right after booking that covers preexisting conditions. Apparently to have pre existing covered you must get it soon after booking. What we get covers if my elderly dad had an issue also.

We have been on 5 regent cruises so far with #6 coming later this year, but we just booked the biggest trip we have ever done.....18 night Japan and China cruise with extra 3 day land tour. We are excited and I'm a little scared to be honest. I have health issues so it will be a challenge but want to go. Trip of a life time😀.

I did that cruise 10 years ago on the Mariner. It was WONDERFUL. Is the 3-day extra to Xian? That is a don't-miss. It's one thing to see a few of them on a touring exhibit. Seeing them as originally arranged is mind-boggling.

I don't know when you're going, but if it's in October, be warned: that's the time of the national holiday in China, and many Chinese nationals come to the same sites you'll be visiting during that holiday. You will experience crowds unlike any crowd you've ever experienced in the U.S.

Great idea to get trip Insurance. On a longer Regent cruise, DW got ill and also fell. Had wonderful care by Ship Doctor/Nurse but also a $ 5000 bill - Trip Insurance paid it to the penny. Despite Medicare not providing coverage outside of U.S., if you have Medicare, you must get a denial of coverage from them before Trip Insurance health claim will be processed.

I too have health issues but I prepare in advance accordingly!

Always my concern is long flights so I make sure I wear compression socks!

I really try to eat unusually healthier a few weeks before and drink plenty more water.

I start on CoQ10 supplements a few weeks before to aid in circulation and continue it through out the trip.

Make sure your doctor knows of your plans and he/she could suggest some prep work.

Be proactive and leave nothing to chance.

Hydrate with lots of water because china is very humid and sweating is inevitable depending on the time of year! Japan....I am clueless...never been!

Alot of prep but it is in your ballpark so you can and will have a good time! :D

We are on a similar cruise right now. Hong Kong to Beijing with Japan and Korea included. About 2/3 through it. It is been fantastic. Lots of seas days really allow you to unwind and relax. The 1001 Buddahs in Japan can not be missed.

Really looking forward to walking on the great wall.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Our "big" cruise is in March 2016, so always out. Got the insurance purchased so pre existing is covered. Expensive but a must have. Our cruise starts in Tokyo and ends in Beijing and includes Taiwan. We will have an extra 3 days in Beijing so able to see Great Wall. This will be after the Chinese New Year and their big holiday. I'm so happy to hear others great experiences on this cruise.

rcandkc, we did a similar cruise, starting in Hong Kong and ending in Beijing a couple of years ago and found Taiwan to be very interesting, since some of the Chinese treasures are there in the museum. I blogged about it at the time http://www.elegantsufficiency.org/blog/2013/3/1/lanterns.html (and following posts) and will be blogging again shortly when we board Voyager in HongKong in March and head out via two stops in Taiwan, this time turning south and heading via the Philippines (and a few other places) to Singapore. IMHO you've chosen a great cruise in what we find to be a fascinating part of the world.

I forgot to mention what might be the most useful information for anyone planning a cruise to/near Japan. Unless anything has changed in the meantime, there will be no internet access at any time whilst sailing in Japanese waters. If you fancy a demonstration of how reliant we've become on such facilities, here's your chance ;-)

I forgot to mention what might be the most useful information for anyone planning a cruise to/near Japan. Unless anything has changed in the meantime, there will be no internet access at any time whilst sailing in Japanese waters. If you fancy a demonstration of how reliant we've become on such facilities, here's your chance ;-)

That is really a good point. To my knowledge, nothing has changed -- no internet access while in Japanese waters.

As a possibility, we cruised to Japan on Navigator a few years ago and Regent did notify us just before reaching Japan that we would not have internet or live TV while in Japanese waters.

In actuality at our first port in Japan we had internet and TV until we docked when both were blocked. Leaving the port, the internet and TV started back up as soon as we were undocked.

Cannot say one way or another on what has or will occur on other cruises but, at least on our cruise, it worked the way I described above for us.

I seem to think that it was fine when we were in port but once we sailed, Rallydave... Best described as "unreliable" until we were quite some distance from Japanese land. I mentioned it because it would have been helpful to have known in advance that this would be the case, so that we could be prepared. The unexpected is always more of a challenge!