Food on Azamara

Thisrose

I'm very into food and wine. Love taking photos of everything I make at home, but I also enjoy taking photos of foods on travel. I'll really make an effort to do this on this cruise and post here after my trip. It will be in May before I can post.

Hello PSULion! Do you remember what it was that you ate for lunch that was so very bad in MDR? I'll make sure to avoid it. But, I agree with you about the pasta being too abundant in too many places like cruises. I like to see more varieties.

i'm very into food and wine. Love taking photos of everything i make at home, but i also enjoy taking photos of foods on travel. I'll really make an effort to do this on this cruise and post here after my trip. It will be in may before i can post.

please do

Hello PSULion! Do you remember what it was that you ate for lunch that was so very bad in MDR? I'll make sure to avoid it. But, I agree with you about the pasta being too abundant in too many places like cruises. I like to see more varieties.

Yes, it was Atlantic salmon over a bed of some type of mashed potatoes topped with cole slaw. I usually really enjoy salmon, but this must have been farm raised and was not very flavorful and a bit dry. The salmon filet was sort of pushed down into the mashed potatoes, and the salmon skin imparted an off flavor to the potatoes. The cole slaw on top of the salmon I assume was supposed to be cold, but the fish warmed up the cole slaw. The cole slaw was also placed on the salmon with quite of a bit of the liquid from the cole slaw, and that liquid also flavored the mashed potatoes (and salmon). Basically, the plate was swimming in warmed cole slaw liquid.

Anyway, YMMV, but it wasn't my favorite. The wonderful soup appetizer and desert made up for the entree. :)

That certainly does not sound good. I can see grilled salmon over coleslaw and even salmon over mashed potatoes, but not salmon over mashed potatoes topped with coleslaw. White on white with pink in the middle.

Wonder if this will be available on our cruise. LOL.

While I enjoy lobster, the best lobster are live, then freshly cooked with just some melted butter. You have to "work" for the meat. The lobster on virtually every cruise line is processed, cooked and frozen in Maine or the East coast of Canada. As a kid growing up in Nova Scotia if you took a lobster sandwich for school lunch you were considered poor - the rich kids had peanut butter and jam sandwiches! How times change.

Almost all salmon we consume on land or sea is farmed, especially so-called "Atlantic salmon" which may be farmed in the US, Canada, Norway, Scotland or Chile and other countries. Sustainability is the issue. There are no commercial Atlantic salmon fisheries. Commercial fishing for wild salmon(e.g. sockeye, chum, pink or coho) is a seasonal venture on the west coast of the northern US and Canada. The catch, if any, depends primarily on the quota system, which is based on estimates of the size of the run from sea to river.

On some cruises we have had fresh fish which had been purchased at various ports of call. While I am not a foodie, I do love a good feed of fresh fish or lobster, but I do not generally expect to have fresh fish on a cruise.

While I enjoy lobster, the best lobster are live, then freshly cooked with just some melted butter. You have to "work" for the meat. The lobster on virtually every cruise line is processed, cooked and frozen in Maine or the East coast of Canada. As a kid growing up in Nova Scotia if you took a lobster sandwich for school lunch you were considered poor - the rich kids had peanut butter and jam sandwiches! How times change.

Almost all salmon we consume on land or sea is farmed, especially so-called "Atlantic salmon" which may be farmed in the US, Canada, Norway, Scotland or Chile and other countries. Sustainability is the issue. There are no commercial Atlantic salmon fisheries. Commercial fishing for wild salmon(e.g. sockeye, chum, pink or coho) is a seasonal venture on the west coast of the northern US and Canada. The catch, if any, depends primarily on the quota system, which is based on estimates of the size of the run from sea to river.

On some cruises we have had fresh fish which had been purchased at various ports of call. While I am not a foodie, I do love a good feed of fresh fish or lobster, but I do not generally expect to have fresh fish on a cruise.

So true, Ally- I am a Maine summer girl and have become an insufferable lobster snob! Only the ones dropped live on my front porch in a paper bag by "my guy" after a day fishing will do! (Nearly everyone who lives near the coast in Maine has their "guy" - or "gal", or fishes themselves! )