Cameo Factory (MERGED THREADS)

maltesemom

We walked to the Cameo factory from the Grand in early December, enjoying the children and their families along the way. Once there we did look through the inventory and watched several apprentices hard at work creating on-of-a kind cameo pieces. I don't know what people expect for prices, but a genuine cameo carved from shell is a painstaking work of art - unlike the plastic imitations that you can find in a lot of costume jewelry. We though many of the items in the store were fairly priced; the staff was also willing to negotiate.

After looking through the cases in the front of the store we met the owner, Franco, who is 4th generation and the only Cameo artist this side of Italy. He invited us back to his studio where we saw his amazing collection - some of which are priceless and not for sale. Yes, we did purchase one nice piece and are looking forward to getting it once the setting has been completed.

The Cameo Castle is neither a souvenir shop nor a "Diamonds International" of cameos, but is an artist's studio where you can select unique pieces in much the same manner as you would fine art that you hang on the wall. If you go with that expectation, you will not be disappointed.

Thank you so much. I am looking forward to touring the factory. Is it really walkable. About how far from the where the Grand docks?

Marilee

I would guess it is close to a mile, but it is an easy walk along the coast road with 'sidewalks' all the way. Just turn left when you exit the port area and keep walking until you see it on the right. Be prepared to be joined by several children along the way who, of course, will cheerfully help you find your way hoping for a small tip, some candy, chewing gum, etc. If that walk is too much for some, there will be plenty of taxis that will happily take you there.

Please tell Franco that Frank and Debbie from Georgia said 'hello'.

• 2 weeks later...

We were at the cameo factory Tuesday last week. Wife asked if there were any in the $50 range and they pulled out a try of a half-dozen or so and they were about the size of a quarter, I think. Not mounted. I didn't feel they were particularly overpriced, but we didn't purchase because we had no idea how difficult or expensive mounting one would be. (Plus, wife had her heart set on a sterling/tanzanite/opal/diamond ring we finally bought in Cozumel). But we did enjoy browsing. It's not a big place, but there's some beautiful work there.

• 1 month later...

We were there in Feb. I was not surprised by the prices of the cameos,

it is a piece of art, people pay far more for a picture to hang on their wall.

I found it fascinating to watch the young men actually carving while you hover over them. Fabulous work and well worth the money. Not a large shop as others have said and not a long walk but if you are into any type of arts it is a stop that would be extremely interesting.

We were there in Feb. I was not surprised by the prices of the cameos,

it is a piece of art, people pay far more for a picture to hang on their wall.

I found it fascinating to watch the young men actually carving while you hover over them. Fabulous work and well worth the money. Not a large shop as others have said and not a long walk but if you are into any type of arts it is a stop that would be extremely interesting.

What were the average prices?

• 4 weeks later...

My parents were there in Jan, also went into the back room. This is where the good stuff is. Got me a beautiful cameo carved in a blue stone and a bigger one for me Mom in traditional colored shell. Both about $250 each. Price is good, check out pricing on Italian cameos and these are every bit as beautiful.

Well, we are back and I wanted to share this with everyone since you were so helpful to me. We went to the cameo shop as part of the ship's tour. If you are interested, do it on your own as we only had 1/2 hour and it was too short. You can watch them work and it is really cool to see. We did get into the back room. I wanted a small cameo and got one from the "master cameo maker." It is about the size of a nickel and it cost $100. I could have paid less for one that one of his apprentice's did, but I thought his sork was much better. I also took advice from this board and asked him to sign it. He signed it on the back. I would have like to have gotten it set while I was there but just not enough time so I bought it and brought it home and hope to have it set here by one of our jewelry stores.

Thanks for all the helpful information.

• 1 month later...

When we were at the Cameo Factory at the end of last year, we agreed to purchase a very nice cameo from Franco. It was un-set at the time and he told us that if would likely take a while - but we don't yet have it and, although we have been able to reach him by phone a couple of times, that can be difficult. If anyone plans to be there soon, I would appreciate your asking him for an update; we are anxious to get it paid for and delivered. Thanks

Frank and Debbie Newman

Dublin, GA 31021

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I was just at the cameo factory last month. We went on the WEst End Village tour which included the factory. I enjoyed looking at the pieces. My girlfriend purchased one for around $75.00. It is beautiful. If I go back sometime in the near future I plan on purchasing one too.

We went to the cameo factiry last week. It was what I expected - more of a little gallery. As others have said - it's really a form of art. I bought a piece for $200 which is a 40mm cameo in a gold setting - broach/pendant. I really love the piece, so it was worth the $200. I was hoping for earrings to match, but they didn't have any.

• 4 weeks later...

As a follow up to my messages above, I wanted to share the outcome of our trip to the "Stone Castle". During our visit we agreed to purchase one of Franco's very unique artistic pieces which was unset at the time. To make a very long story short, after many phone calls and discussions, the cameo made a trip to NYC, where it was finished and returned to Roatan, then eventually to us. So, if I did the upload properly, here it is !

Cameo1.jpg.ee284677463d6cb4e139fc1074415d76.jpg

• 1 month later...
As a follow up to my messages above, I wanted to share the outcome of our trip to the "Stone Castle". During our visit we agreed to purchase one of Franco's very unique artistic pieces which was unset at the time. To make a very long story short, after many phone calls and discussions, the cameo made a trip to NYC, where it was finished and returned to Roatan, then eventually to us. So, if I did the upload properly, here it is !

Thanks for sharing the picture - the cameo is beautiful! Do you mind me asking how much you paid for it and to have it set? I wasn't thinking about stopping by the factory but after seeing your picture, I have to reconsider...

I bought a pair of Cameo Earrings for $110.00. I was told they were 14 k gold. I don't think they are. I haven't been to a jewelry store to get and apraisel but I think they are plated. Still beautiful. You can watch them carve. We didn't have much time left to browse but I am going back in May and will check them out again.

• 1 month later...

You can find pieces in the $100-$150 range. My DH bought me a lovely one

with dolphins and palm trees there last week. They aren't very organized though. As we got ready to pay they "found out" that they didn't have paper for their Credit card machine and would only take cash :rolleyes: We did mange to have enough cash, but I was not happy with that. I really love the piece I got though :)

I just read the other threads - we got a free shuttle from the dock. They have a little "booth" in the tent at the dock and will set you up with a free driver to the shop and back. One of the ladies on our cruise had a piece made for her by this shop, which is why we decided to go there.

We were these last week. We were on a tour but, it looked further that I would want to walk. They did not have a very large selection and most were loose. There was one carver working. The set cameos were all set in silver instead of gold. I purchased a loose cameo out of the $50 tray and intend to take it to a jeweler here and have it set in a gold ring. They are beautiful.

We were these last week. We were on a tour but, it looked further that I would want to walk. They did not have a very large selection and most were loose. There was one carver working. The set cameos were all set in silver instead of gold. I purchased a loose cameo out of the $50 tray and intend to take it to a jeweler here and have it set in a gold ring. They are beautiful.

I wouldn't walk it either - it was way too far for me!!! When were you there? I was there last week too. I was on the Costa Mediterranea. The pieces are beautiful. Mine is set in silver and has exquisite detail