Cameo Factory (MERGED THREADS)

maltesemom

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

We just retuned from out Thanksgiving week cruise abourd the Crown Princess. We visited Raotan, but didn't venture beyond the cruise docks. They have a shop there st the docks for the Cameos. We were able to watch the artist in action right there in the shop. He gave us a great demonstration and history of the cameos they make. They have a multitude of samples to look at and purchase. Prices started at $50USD up to ??? I was able to purchase a beautiful piece set to use as a neclace pendant for $80. I felt the prices were fair based on the type of medium they used and the intricacies of the carved piece. Aggat stone, being the hardest, were the most costly of the pieces. I chose a piece set in shell (white with dark brown coloring). The lighter brown pieces were less expensive as they make it harder to see the contrast in the carvings. We were not dissappointed. We hope you all will find your heirloom piece if that's what you are searching for. Or, like me, you can just appreciate the process of making a beautiful piece of jewelry from a simple shell.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you so much seasquirt and Kerry & LuAnn!!! I appreciate your time and consideration!

I am looking forward to this very much! DH has been hinting about Christmas jewelry and I keep telling him that I'm saving ALL of my jewelry "allowance" for a Cameo in Roatan....LOL :D

I was there last week, very dissapointing. most the pieces were not set into jewlery, just loose pieces and they ranged in price, CASH $250 and up (size of a nickle) or VISA ONLY for an additional 20 percent or so.

They had 4 showcases and very limited amount of pieces. The ones that were set into a pin or ring ran from $350- (size of a nickle) and up.

I waited a year to go there, left Tabyana early to do so, paid the cab $20- from the ship and was very dissapointed. :mad:

I agree,he need t odo much better job with finishing of cameos to sell it for this price.price is way to high.I would not wear any of his Cameos the way he finish it ,look very cheap.

Hmmm....Goldenbonny? When were you there? Any other information?

I noticed that the new docks at Mahogany Bay has a store called Gem Carvers Int'l. I am wondering (and thinking it it NOT) if it is the same as Stone Castle Cameo Factory?? With the way Carnival built this area and it's reluctance to provide assistance with "outside/native" vendors for the passengers, I would doubt that they are related. I also noticed on some other posts on CC, some talk about scrimshaw carvers. Is this now GCI??

Has any one been to Mahogany Bay & seen Gem Carvers Int'l?? Did you also see Stone Castle Cameo Factory?? Any information from any recent visitors to Roatan would be greatly appreciated:D!

Happy Sailing, Everyone..................Dreaming of Floating...........................

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone

I'm just off NCL's Jewel for the Dec 13, 2009 sailing.

Our group arranged for a private guided tour of Roatan that included a stop at the Cameo Factory. It was larger than I expected. It's a simple building with over a dozen show cases with assorted types of cameo's. Both loose cameo's and finished ones set in jewelry. In the back were two 8' tables with two artisans working. You couldn't stand too close but you could stand and watch them work. The "Master" was not in the day we were there.

The prices range from $50 to $2500 and about everything in between. The more costly are more detailed of course. The quality is not the same as found in Italy, but that does NOT mean they aren't exquisite!! They are lovely, in my opinion. What I loved about them is the island and ocean themed ones. The typical Renaissance styled ones just didn't seem to capture the artist behind them. It was like they were trying to mimic Italy. And they didn't need to!!! The ones with island and ocean themes were truly lovely works of art.

My favorite piece was actually quite raw and rustic and actually had a large part of the spiny conch still visible. I'm still sort of kicking myself for not buying it. It was already set into a necklace, and I guess that is why I didn't purchase it.

The prices they were charging for the finished set pieces seemed a bit high for the setting. You would be far better served to buy a loose one and have it set on your own. There is a case right in the middle of the store that has cameo's $50 to $250 and your best bargin's are there. The prices for the more affordable cameo's were not negotiable, but the larger ones are. So survey the whole shop and see what you can do.

The factory is very close to the pier, so it doesn't take much time to include it in your tour, stop by and check it out. It is worth the stop in my opinion, but then I'm the BeadBabe and jewelry and wearable art is my thing. :D The others in my group ranged their opinions from "ooooo that's nice" to "can we go now" (some of the guys). So it's really a matter of taste.

The sales people are very VERY shy and not pushy at all. You will have to really ask to get helped, but once you engage them, they are very friendly and knowledgeable.

If you have any questions, I'd be happy to answer them!

Best to you in 2010!

BeadBabe :D

The quality is not the same as found in Italy, but that does NOT mean they aren't exquisite!! They are lovely, in my opinion.

BeadBabe :D

I agree.

I bought one (paid about $100 for one that was set and I love it!!) back in March 2008. My girlfriend also bought one and she loves hers as well.

I wear mine quite often.

I'll be back in Roatan in Feb and would love to get another.

Edited by halos

I agree.

I bought one (paid about $100 for one that was set and I love it!!) back in March 2008. My girlfriend also bought one and she loves hers as well.

I wear mine quite often.

I'll be back in Roatan in Feb and would love to get another.

Halos...weren't they lovely???

If I go again...I'm going to buy that rough cut one that I passed up on.

Best to you in 2010!

BeadBabe

• 2 weeks later...

The problem I am having with Roatan is that there is so much to see that something has to be eliminate and that will probably be the Cameo Factory. Tell me what I will be missing.

Edited by Host Kat >^..^<
post merged into existing thread

They have a shop at the Mahogany Bay Docks now where Franco is creating on site so no need to go to the castle...

Hey, Roatanradio: Is this correct??!! More info. please.

Can anyone else confirm this as well. I may change my plans for this port, if this indeed the case. I saw a picture of a storefront that was "Gem Carvers, Int'l" was this it, roatanradio?

Thanks, everyone, any information is truly appreciated.

Dreaming of Floating.........................................

Roatanradio...if I may ask, are you an employee of a radio station in Roatan?

Also, where do you believe the best prices will be? At the MB Dock or at the Factory itself?

Thanks for any info you can provide.....Buying a cameo is on my 'to do' list for Roatan, or should I say 'DH's list'!

Yes!!! Thank you so much, roatanradio, for your information on Franco and his cameo's. I am looking very much forward to viewing and hopefully purchasing a nice cameo!! I've done some reading about Franco's art and find it to be very interesting.

We will be in Roatan on Friday, March 26, 2010. We will be arriving on the Carnival Legend. We have a tour guide set up with Victor Bodden Tours and planned on making it a priority stop. If Franco will be at the Mahogany Bay shop, we will go there first. We did want to see the Stone Castle he built, too, so I'll go by there, too.

Do you have any other suggestions for Roatan??:confused:

We were thinking of purchasing coffee, vanilla, mahogany carved something....good places to do this in your opinion?

Best views for photos?

Private little beach spot to take a quick swim?

Maybe visit an orphanage a make donation....which one?

Other ideas?

Come tour your radio station?? lol

WHO MAKES THE BEST COCONUT CHICKEN?????????:D

Thank you, again for the information....I LOVE Cruise Critic!!

Dreaming of Floating........................................

Please remember the Guidelines we all agreed to follow when registering for our free membership. Check out the Sticky posts above, especially the one titled **DO NOT POST HERE** until you've read the Rules for Posting in the Roatan Forum.

Note the following information:

Participation of Tour Operators/Guides/Businesses/Drivers/Local Experts in Ports of call

Tour operators, guides, drivers, businesses and local experts in ports of call are welcome to participate on the forums. However, ALL advice offered must be general in nature only. They may not include any company name or contact information, nor may they use Cruise Critic's forums to conduct customer service - either for themselves or any company. The simple mention of a 'tour' or that someone owns a business by an owner (or their agent or anyone in their employ) will be considered advertising and will be removed. Posts will be removed at the sole discretion of Cruise Critic. Repeated violation will result in suspension of posting privileges.

Please do not ask questions of a local expert they cannot answer. If they do, they will have their membership suspended.

Kat 110105_emYA42_prv.gif

I'll take a survey for you this evening with all my ex-pat buddies at the local watering hole and have some options and opinions (there are sure to be alot!) for you tomorrow!

Calico Jack

PS Another thing I want to warn cruisers about is that there is always a possibility that even if you are scheduled to arrive at the Mahogany Bay docks, you may end up at the Coxen Hole docks. This happens when the ocean is too rough for them to back up the ship into Mahogany Bay through the reef opening as it is fairly narrow. Regarding cameos, there are shops at both docks and the castle is quite close to the Coxen Hole dock. If the ship is diverted to Coxen Hole, all tour operators adjust!

As you can see as written by Kat, I am not allowed to give specifics so here is my best shot!

We were thinking of purchasing coffee, vanilla, mahogany carved something....good places to do this in your opinion? At the docks or in West End

Best views for photos? So many places but probably West Bay Beach. If you follow the road past West Bay Beach when you get there and go past the last hotel towards the community of Turtle Crossing, at the top of the hill is an amazing view of West Bay Beach and the reef

Private little beach spot to take a quick swim? There are plenty as you head east but the best place for a swim is West Bay Beach though it can be crowded on cruise days

Maybe visit an orphanage a make donation....which one? Ask on the island

Other ideas? Zip Lines, nature parks, botanical gardens, dolphin and marine centers,West End shops, glass bottom boats, deep water submarine, sailing, snorkel, diving, snuba, spas, massage.....

WHO MAKES THE BEST COCONUT CHICKEN?????????:D Go to West End and ask!

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to let everyone know that we just returned from Roatan and went to both the stone castle and then the store at coxen hole pier. We saw Franco at both--he probably thought that we were following him!

I thought that there was a better selection at the pier and he was actually carving while we were in the store. He recognized us and signed the cameo that I eventually bought. We were very pleased!

I didn't find any of the smaller less expensive cameos--all were at least $130 for earings and up higher for pins/cameos. I bought one of the medium sized to frame at home as I saw in the shop. I would post a pic if someone could tell me how:rolleyes:

Highly recommend a stop at his shops and if he is there please take the time to watch him carve--absolutely fascinating!