Cameo Factory (MERGED THREADS)

maltesemom

• 1 month later...

My DH and I will be on the Carnival Legend the week of 12/5/2010 - soon!!!!

We should be in Roatan that Friday. Does anyone know if the Cameo Factory is still open? Their website is down and this is the one place I really want to go as I also make jewelry.

Thanks.

we were just there in sept and it was open even though their website is down. I'm sure they're still operating. Its a nice little store with a few long cases of items. I did a little damage there. ;)

I'll tell you, the cameos are GORGEOUS but the settings are only so so. I bought 2 bracelets (one very nice quality, the other just for fun) and 2 very nice pendants and I'll probably have one of the bracelets (the nicer one) and one of the pendants reset. If you make jewelry you'd probably enjoy seeing a bit of the carving process as its interesting. The artist who was there the day we were was a lovely young deaf and mute woman.

Happy shopping!

we were just there in sept and it was open even though their website is down. I'm sure they're still operating. Its a nice little store with a few long cases of items. I did a little damage there. ;)

I'll tell you, the cameos are GORGEOUS but the settings are only so so. I bought 2 bracelets (one very nice quality, the other just for fun) and 2 very nice pendants and I'll probably have one of the bracelets (the nicer one) and one of the pendants reset. If you make jewelry you'd probably enjoy seeing a bit of the carving process as its interesting. The artist who was there the day we were was a lovely young deaf and mute woman.

Happy shopping!

Thank you so much for your response. I hope to be able to pick up 2 or 3 loose cameos and then build rings, a necklace or what ever around them. I am really looking forward to this stop, but wish they would get the website back up and running. :(

catzcrazy: Be sure to look at "Gem Carving Int'l" in the Mahogany Bay shopping area, too.....there were some nice things there too, as well as at the studio/showroom/Cameo Factory. The website has been down for a couple years, so I don't think it worked out for them to have up. They were very easy to bargain with for multiple purchases, too! Enjoy your cruise! :D

catzcrazy: Be sure to look at "Gem Carving Int'l" in the Mahogany Bay shopping area, too.....there were some nice things there too, as well as at the studio/showroom/Cameo Factory. The website has been down for a couple years, so I don't think it worked out for them to have up. They were very easy to bargain with for multiple purchases, too! Enjoy your cruise! :D

Thank you so much for the info. My DH and I will check out both!

I bought a cameo for $80, it is not set in gold, just a silver loop to hang by. I love it! I can now add mine to my collection. I have my Grandmothers, Mothers, and Aunts. Something I can pass on to my daughter. BTW, we want to go back to Roatan and stay a week. We fell in love with the island.

I bought a cameo for $80, it is not set in gold, just a silver loop to hang by. I love it! I can now add mine to my collection. I have my Grandmothers, Mothers, and Aunts. Something I can pass on to my daughter. BTW, we want to go back to Roatan and stay a week. We fell in love with the island.

Thanks for the info. Do you know how low the prices are on unset cameos?

We stopped at the Cameo Factory earlier this month and were very impressed. I believe the smaller cameo pendants were $50 and the larger ones were $80. If you pay cash, they'll reduce the price, so it's worth negotiating.

Edited by NextOne

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

When we visited in 2005, Franco allowed DW and I back into his back room, where he showed my wife (who has exquisite taste in jewelry (and nowhere near the funds to fullfil that taste) some of his private works. Franco also does some scuba diving (in Roatan??? Imagine that! :rolleyes:) and he handed me a 6-pounder cannonball to look at that he had brought up from an old wreck--probably about 350-400 years old or more. Wow. History in my hands.

But his workshop is right in the front of the building, off to one side of the display area. DW says the cameos themselves are worth the price, and I trust her judgment.

Go there just to see the artisans at work and to say hello to Franco.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Sounds like most people who have purchased cameos bought pendants, or earrings. Any rings, or unset cameos suitable to have set as a ring? I love the cameos, but never wear necklaces.

Diana

They have many "loose" cameo's as well as finished set ones. The set ones are in pendants, earrings, broaches, rings, hair accessories, cuff links, and just about anything you can imagine. There are plenty of loose ones as well.

There are some real beauties! :D

• 4 weeks later...

We were there last week. We really ejoyed watching them work. Did not price the shells. Bought a cruise ship necklace cameo and a traditional cameo necklace (just the pendants) for 160 total. They do not haggle. I enjoyed seeing the art it was neat to us but not for everyone. Hope this answers your questions. We may have spent thirty minutes at the cameo stop. We zip lined did an island tour stopping at many places and did the animal tour at victor boddens. We had plenty of time to do everything we wanted including the cameos.

We went there back in 2009 and it was really the only thing we didn't like about our fabulous day in Roatan. The shop doesn't take long to get through - very small. We felt the cameos were pretty "rough" looking. But, I've seen some good reviews as well. Since it is a small shop and doesn't take long to get through it wouldnt hurt for you to go by and see what you think.

I had a friend go there in Jan of this year, i had asked her to bring me back a conch shell with a carving in it, I payed her $150.00 for it. She said there were other ones that had more carvings on them which were going for $500.00, they may of been the ones that are made into lamps. They are absolutely lovely. I had seen them when we were there in 2007 but didn't get the opportunity to purchase one then. They have a small hole in the bottom were you can put a small battery operated light for illumination.

• 1 month later...
One of the excursions includes the Cameo Factory can anyone tell me if you can go to this on your own or only if doing the excursion? Also, is it worth it and what is the cost to purchase? Thanks

You can go on your own. It's open to the public. If you dock in Coxen Hole it's a very short taxi ride there. If you dock in Mahogany Bay it's a bit further. It's not a very big place. Lots of posters on this board like the Cameo Factory. We didn't really like it all that much. There were a few pretty cameos but after seeing cameos from Italy I guess these seemed very rudimentary. It won't take long at all to go through the factory. Nothing too special about the layout or factory itself. We didn't purchase but I think the price range is pretty varied.