Cameo Factory (MERGED THREADS)

maltesemom

Yes, that's from the Cameo Factory in Roatan. Here are some pictures that we took while we were there. They were things we liked and thought were pretty (I don't remember if the picture of the case of cameo's was out in the main showroom or back in Franco's workshop).

cameo1.jpg

cameo2.jpg

cameo7.jpg

We had gone to the Butterfly Farm and the Iguana Farm, lunch at Marilyn's Island Food, and the Cameo Factory. We got a driver through Murphy's Roatan Tours.

http://www.murphysroatantours.com/

We actually got Murphy himself. He was AWESOME!! I would definitely use him again.

I had forgotten to pack my tennis shoes and was going to need some the next day for the Mayan Ruins. We mentioned to Murphy I needed to get some and he brought us to a little shopping center also.

• 2 weeks later...

The Cameo Factory is not to be missed.

As most of you mentioned, it is best to use a private tour company so you can design you entire day.

We live on Roatan for 2 months each year AND we cruise there at least once a year. I have to go to the Cameo Factory several times during our stays.

There are many good tour agencies that will include the Cameo Factory, no matter which port, but if you are at the Coxen Hole Port, it is very, very near by.

I know another small agency that is happy to customize your trip.

They are fairly new and really want to please their clients.

One of the owners has been a tour guide in Roatan for many years.

This is not a new concept for her.

http://www.Roatancaribbeantours.com

Good luck!

We’ll be there (Roatan) in about 10 days!

Judy

Edited by Travel Junkie Judy

• 1 month later...

Hi,

we were on the Vision about 3 weeks ago and one of our stops was Roatan.

Different people find different attractions there - for us it was among other things, the cameo factory.

We went there twice ( on the same day) - once it was at the end of our private ( taxi ) tour of the island ...... we spent probably an hour or so in there. We watched them do the carving and learn a little about the art. Then we spent some time admiring their display of cameos and choosing what we liked.

Each cameo might be of different value to each person ..... not only the size, or what is on the cameo ...... but also how artisticly ( you be the judge) is the cameo done , how much detail is there, how are the proportins of things to each other, the color of shell, the precession, the art. There is so much that goes in to the art of making the cameo. Some of the artists / craftsmen are very talented and experienced ...... some are just learning ...... but you have to start someplace.

You be the judge what you like and what you buy. We bought 3 cameos and after looking at them more and more, on the ship ....... we liked them so much that we wanted to buy more for gifts and ........walked back to the store / factory and bought 3 more. They made very nice Christmas gifts and were /are appreciated very much by the receipients. I think the cameo crafting is a dying art - not many are doing it , it takes so much talent and work to do them and many of us have no idea what it is all about.

Edited by wieslaw

wieslaw thank you so much for this info. Do you remember which port you were docked at? I think we dock at Coxen Hole and just not sure if it is in walking distance. Also, are the drivers that offer tours at the port safe? Would we be better off hiring a guide before we leave. Really the only thing I want to go to is the Cameo Factory. Just don't know if a tour guide would make any sense.

Thank you

wieslaw thank you so much for this info. Do you remember which port you were docked at? I think we dock at Coxen Hole and just not sure if it is in walking distance. Also, are the drivers that offer tours at the port safe? Would we be better off hiring a guide before we leave. Really the only thing I want to go to is the Cameo Factory. Just don't know if a tour guide would make any sense.

Thank you

Hi,

we were docked at Coxen Hole and the factory was very close ( did not know that when we docked). About 15 to 20 min walking.

We took the tour on our own ..... we just wanted to see the island ..... it is a small island. We did not want to see what a typical tourist might.

There were 4 of us - price 60 dol (us) .....

I got the driver's name, email and phone .... if you want more info how we got him .... let me know.

Thank you

Hi,

If you are at Coxen Hole, you are very near the Cameo Factory. I would walk, but if it is your first trip there, you might want a cab. You can wait until you get to the port. The drivers there are safe. Roatan is a beautiful island and a ride around it is very nice. It is only 35 miles long and 2 - 4 miles wide. Consider spending more time there.

I agree that the Cameo Factory is not to be missed ( see my earlier post). We vacation there each winter and love it.

Judy

Thank you Judy. I have read almost every post now. And am more excited to go to the Cameo Factory. We have been to Roatan a few times. We have done the usually beach thing or just walk around the port. Many years ago we tried to venture out on our own out the gates and that was not such a good idea. Of course we had no idea where we were going or what to see as it was our first time there and I hadn't done any research on what Roatan was all about except for great snorkeling which we do not do. :(.

Hoping we can find someone trust worthy and maybe do the island tour. I have heard it is beautiful. As long as they will stop at the Cameo Factory and get us back to the ship on time I will do it. If you can recommend someone that would be appreciated. Also, wieslaw more info on a driver would be great. Or at least where I can find someone we can trust.

Thank you again,

Thank you Judy. I have read almost every post now. And am more excited to go to the Cameo Factory. We have been to Roatan a few times. We have done the usually beach thing or just walk around the port. Many years ago we tried to venture out on our own out the gates and that was not such a good idea. Of course we had no idea where we were going or what to see as it was our first time there and I hadn't done any research on what Roatan was all about except for great snorkeling which we do not do. :(.

Hoping we can find someone trust worthy and maybe do the island tour. I have heard it is beautiful. As long as they will stop at the Cameo Factory and get us back to the ship on time I will do it. If you can recommend someone that would be appreciated. Also, wieslaw more info on a driver would be great. Or at least where I can find someone we can trust.

Thank you again,

Hi,

Most Tour operators (who are all very honest) will charge you for at least a half day tour. I mentioned one a coup,e of posts back. I have not heard of anyone having a problem with cab drivers that were secured in the port. I do not know any by name however.

I would wait til you get there though. As you exit, there are tour companies and you might be able to negotiate a good price. Cab drivers are past where you will see the tour companies. I believe they are screened to be able to come into the port, but I am not sure.

Good luck!

Judy

[quote name=NJLVW;45096353

Also' date=' wieslaw more info on a driver would be great. Or at least where I can find someone we can trust.

Thank you again,[/quote]

Hi NJLVW,

This was our first visit to Roatan, similar to your search I also looked for information about that island and what I/we wanted to do or see .

Probably similar to your travels as well, we have been to a number of the islands in that area ( caribbean) and have done some of the things that 'tourists do' ..... and those were not on my 'want to do list'.

The cameo factory was ..... we wanted to see some cameos ( we like them and wanted to possibly purchase some.

I am concerned about safety and taxi or walking ..... and that was a consideration as well.

I did check with some of the tour operators ( there were many) in the enclosed port area about tours and prices . We decided to walk out of the enclosed area to the street. There were many taxis as well ....and many drivers offering their services . We felt safe.

One of the drivers seemed to be the right one and we negotiated the price, what we wanted to do and see ..... and we hired him. He had a toyota mini-van - there were 4 of us. He spoke english very well, was friendly, polite, not pushy. We wanted to see some of the island and learned a little about it.

We also stopped in a store that had some touristy things and some very beautifull mahagony carvings in a wide range of prices.

The last stop was the cameo store / factory. We liked what we saw and purchased some.

Driver took us back to port and drove into the secured /fenced in area.

I ask him for his name and a way to contact him for a future trip.

He wrote his name, tel. number and email and I have it.

After looking at our purchase we wanted to get more for a gift or two.

So we just walked out, made a left turn walked for about 20 minutes ( maybe a mile), felt very save walking, nobody bothered us..... got to the store and bought 3 more pendants ...... and walked back.

I could provide you the info about the driver but I am not sure if I can just post his private info on this board ..... perhaps the moderator will not like that either ....... we trusted the driver, liked him and would not worry to hire him again ..... is there a way to contact you if you want his info ? We liked him very much and I think you would too ....... if not I am sure there are others like him.

BTW. Travel Judy, thank you for your posts, they were very helpful for me and I did and do appreciate them.

And happy New Year to all ...... wishing you good health and happiness

Edited by wieslaw

Hi NJLVW,

This was our first visit to Roatan, similar to your search I also looked for information about that island and what I/we wanted to do or see .

Probably similar to your travels as well, we have been to a number of the islands in that area ( caribbean) and have done some of the things that 'tourists do' ..... and those were not on my 'want to do list'.

The cameo factory was ..... we wanted to see some cameos ( we like them and wanted to possibly purchase some.

I am concerned about safety and taxi or walking ..... and that was a consideration as well.

I did check with some of the tour operators ( there were many) in the enclosed port area about tours and prices . We decided to walk out of the enclosed area to the street. There were many taxis as well ....and many drivers offering their services . We felt safe.

One of the drivers seemed to be the right one and we negotiated the price, what we wanted to do and see ..... and we hired him. He had a toyota mini-van - there were 4 of us. He spoke english very well, was friendly, polite, not pushy. We wanted to see some of the island and learned a little about it.

We also stopped in a store that had some touristy things and some very beautifull mahagony carvings in a wide range of prices.

The last stop was the cameo store / factory. We liked what we saw and purchased some.

Driver took us back to port and drove into the secured /fenced in area.

I ask him for his name and a way to contact him for a future trip.

He wrote his name, tel. number and email and I have it.

After looking at our purchase we wanted to get more for a gift or two.

So we just walked out, made a left turn walked for about 20 minutes ( maybe a mile), felt very save walking, nobody bothered us..... got to the store and bought 3 more pendants ...... and walked back.

I could provide you the info about the driver but I am not sure if I can just post his private info on this board ..... perhaps the moderator will not like that either ....... we trusted the driver, liked him and would not worry to hire him again ..... is there a way to contact you if you want his info ? We liked him very much and I think you would too ....... if not I am sure there are others like him.

BTW. Travel Judy, thank you for your posts, they were very helpful for me and I did and do appreciate them.

And happy New Year to all ...... wishing you good health and happiness

You can exchange email addresses. Many people on CC do it all of the time.

just put it in a safe form.

Only one of you needs to post an address & the other can answer.

janesmith at gmail dot com

Then no one can paste & copy. Also, if there are folks with the means to search for email addresses, yours will not fit the form.

Judy

We'll be in Roatan later this month, docking at Mahogany Bay. We are planning just to hang out at the beach there for the day, but would it be doable to get a cab just to go to the cameo factory for an hour or so?

We'll be in Roatan later this month, docking at Mahogany Bay. We are planning just to hang out at the beach there for the day, but would it be doable to get a cab just to go to the cameo factory for an hour or so?

Sure, you can get to the Cameo Factory in about 15 minutes.

Get a cab & negotiate the price.

Make sure he/she speaks good English - most have excellent English.

Let him know that you want him to wait for you & give him an approximate amount of time there.

He may suggest a ride around the island. It is beautiful.

You will enjoy The Cameo Factory. Everything is made on site - nothing imported.

Take money or probably credit card.

I’ve always paid cash, but I’d guess that they take plastic.

Have fun!

Oh, we arrive in Roatan tomorrow for a 2 month vacation. Yea!!!

Judy

Edited by Travel Junkie Judy

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Judy,

We're soon to embark on the CARIBBEAN PRINCESS and will be going to Roatan. We've booked an excursion that will take us to the Cameo Factory. So we can be better prepared, could you give us an idea of how much the carved cameo conch shells cost. We'd like to pay in cash to avoid a possible upcharge if we use a credit card. Also, do they have any sterling silver mounted cameos for sale. Believe it or not, I prefer sterling to gold!

After seeing many pictures on the internet of the lovely work they do in carving the shells, I fell in love with one (could have been one in the display case and maybe not for sale?) that had horses, dolphins and a castle on it. If I could pick my "souvenir" from the photos, that would be the one I want to take home. I understand that it takes many hours/days to do the carvings, so I'm going to have to buy one that is already done, rather than "order" one.

Thanks for your help and advice on this one!

Debjo

Judy,

We're soon to embark on the CARIBBEAN PRINCESS and will be going to Roatan. We've booked an excursion that will take us to the Cameo Factory. So we can be better prepared, could you give us an idea of how much the carved cameo conch shells cost. We'd like to pay in cash to avoid a possible upcharge if we use a credit card. Also, do they have any sterling silver mounted cameos for sale. Believe it or not, I prefer sterling to gold!

After seeing many pictures on the internet of the lovely work they do in carving the shells, I fell in love with one (could have been one in the display case and maybe not for sale?) that had horses, dolphins and a castle on it. If I could pick my "souvenir" from the photos, that would be the one I want to take home. I understand that it takes many hours/days to do the carvings, so I'm going to have to buy one that is already done, rather than "order" one.

Thanks for your help and advice on this one!

Debjo

Hi,

I am trying to remember the cost of the conch carved shells. I am sure they had them for under $100. The broaches run from $30 (tiny) to well over $500.

You should be able to find something that you like in this range. They also have earrings, bracelets and full necklaces.

The broaches I have bought are in the $50 to $140 range. I have silver chains, so I see no reason to buy a complete necklace.

All of mine are mounted with silver. The broaches with island scenes are cheaper than the standard “girl” scenes. It depends on the amount of carving needed. I really love my pieces.

I have 4 broaches and I bought one for my granddaughter. Mine are dolphins, iguana, sea horse and flowers. I bought a turtle for my granddaughter. The conch shell that I looked out was for a night light and it was awesome. I wish I could remember the price.

I want to say $90 or $95, but I really don’t remember.

I hope this helps. I would suggest taking a couple of hundred in cash because they are hard to resist. They make great one of a kind gifts. $30 to $40 are not hard to find. Just tell the sales person your price range and what you want. They are very helpful. I hope you get a driver that is not in a hurry.

Judy

Thank you Judy for your quick reply...it was just what I was looking for, so now we can be better prepared. It would be awful to go there and find the pieces were way over ones souvenir budget.

Debjo

• 4 weeks later...

We are planning to go to Little French Key while in Roatan, but I'm hoping we can get to the Cameo Factory after we're returned to the dock from LFK. I think my wife would just love to get some stuff there!

Do they have a demonstration or tour at the Cameo Factory?

How much time should I plan to get to the Cameo Factory, shop and look around and get back to the ship? (We're on RCC so we're docked in Coxen Hole)

How much would you expect to pay a taxi for this type of round trip?

By the way, I saw someone post earlier about paying with credit cards. My bank (Chase) would not allow me to register my card for traveling in Honduras due to security risks, fraud, etc. I'm afraid my card might get shut off if I try to use it there. YMMV - people should check with their bank before trying to use it there.

We are planning to go to Little French Key while in Roatan, but I'm hoping we can get to the Cameo Factory after we're returned to the dock from LFK. I think my wife would just love to get some stuff there!

Do they have a demonstration or tour at the Cameo Factory?

How much time should I plan to get to the Cameo Factory, shop and look around and get back to the ship? (We're on RCC so we're docked in Coxen Hole)

How much would you expect to pay a taxi for this type of round trip?

By the way, I saw someone post earlier about paying with credit cards. My bank (Chase) would not allow me to register my card for traveling in Honduras due to security risks, fraud, etc. I'm afraid my card might get shut off if I try to use it there. YMMV - people should check with their bank before trying to use it there.

Hi,

First, you will love French Key.

It is really beautiful and the beaches are...well..awesome.

We enjoy their small zoo also.

Say hello to their lion - he was a rescue.

I don’t understand why Chase would not register your card.

We stay in Roatan for 2 months every winter and we pay for our groceries and restaurants (when they take credit) with our Chase United card - no foreign transaction fees.

We have not attempted to register our cards though.

The Cameo Factory is very close to your port.

I know people that have walked, but I would recommend a cab.

They will try to get you to pay $5 or more per person for this short 5 minute ride.

And this is one way. If there are 2 of you, have exact change and offer him $5.00 round trip and have him wait for you. If he says no, try another one.

If you act like you know what you are doing, they will see this.

Locals pay $2 for a trip 1/2 way up the island. All fares are per person.

So, what I would do is just ask “Will you take us to the Cameo Factory and wait for us for $5.00?” Don’t give him a chance to give you a price. If he counters, I would ask another, but you can barter with them if you like.

By late in the day they should be willing to take anything.

If you have 4 people, he’d be crazy not to do it for $10 round trip. That is a lot of money to them.

You have picked 2 great places to go. Enjoy!

Judy

Hi,

First, you will love French Key.

It is really beautiful and the beaches are...well..awesome.

We enjoy their small zoo also.

Say hello to their lion - he was a rescue.

I don’t understand why Chase would not register your card.

We stay in Roatan for 2 months every winter and we pay for our groceries and restaurants (when they take credit) with our Chase United card - no foreign transaction fees.

We have not attempted to register our cards though.

The Cameo Factory is very close to your port.

I know people that have walked, but I would recommend a cab.

They will try to get you to pay $5 or more per person for this short 5 minute ride.

And this is one way. If there are 2 of you, have exact change and offer him $5.00 round trip and have him wait for you. If he says no, try another one.

If you act like you know what you are doing, they will see this.

Locals pay $2 for a trip 1/2 way up the island. All fares are per person.

So, what I would do is just ask “Will you take us to the Cameo Factory and wait for us for $5.00?” Don’t give him a chance to give you a price. If he counters, I would ask another, but you can barter with them if you like.

By late in the day they should be willing to take anything.

If you have 4 people, he’d be crazy not to do it for $10 round trip. That is a lot of money to them.

You have picked 2 great places to go. Enjoy!

Judy

That's exactly the information I was looking for - thanks for the help!

I figure if we leave LFK by 2 we should have time to get back to the ship and get a taxi to and from the factory in plenty of time for a 5:00 departure. I'll definitely take your advice on getting a taxi driver. After several hours at LFK I don't think we'll want to walk anywhere LOL.

On our last cruise my wife didn't call in on her credit cards and when she tried to use them in Cozumel, her card got shut off. (Another bank, not Chase) I notified Chase that we would be in Cozumel and Grand Cayman - they wouldn't accept Jamaica - and had no problems with the card throughout the cruise.

We wasted over an hour trying to get her card issue resolved and finally gave up. The trouble was our cruise was tied to her card and so paying off the bill at the end of the trip wouldn't work. Fortunately I had the $$ on my card to pay our cruise charges so we just switched it over. We would have had problems if I hadn't, though.

I don't anticipate any issues with the cards but we're going to be careful. Notify the banks in advance and never use the card tied to our cruise during the trip. We probably would not have a problem but we had a good scare the last time so now we're chicken. LOL

• 1 month later...

DW and I visited Franco's Cameo Factory on our 2005 stop. DW has champagne taste for jewelry (and I have a Pepsi-flavored pocketbook); she said the pieces she saw there were exquisite and worth the prices he was asking.

And you can see some of the work on photos posted on this thread. Even if you can afford only a small one, it will be a prize possession you will cherish.

Edited by capncarp