Cameo Factory (MERGED THREADS)

maltesemom

• 2 weeks later...

I have been to the cameo factory one time, and do plan to go again in April. I couldn't tell you how far away it was from the port because we were on a tour and this was one of the stops. Just want to mention that I think the word "factory" is a bit misleading. This is a store with perhaps a few employees sorting shells out front. There is a back room open by invitation only, but I think basically everybody gets invited. A guide giving a tour of the back room will tell you about the artists and show you some amazing work. It was fascinating to us, anyway. I don't think anybody was there doing any of the intricate cameo work.

Just looked up my post from a few years ago. This would be more accurate info because it was still fresh in mind at that time --

The cameo factory is a store where employees will be working on their craft. There will be a table outside where several people will be sorting sea shells and portions of sea shells. Then there is a table inside where one or two men will be working. My daughter bought a cameo charm for her charm bracelet for $25. She haggled with them (she is better at that than I am). At that point, they invited us into the inner sanctum. That's not what they called it, but they said we were VIP's and this was a rare opportunity to see more of the artist's work. I would recommend a stop here. We were fascinated, and thought it was beautiful. The cameos are very intricate. If you get the employees chatting, they will be happy to share their work with you and give you a nice tour. But if you go thinking that you will see a large factory with an organized tour, you may be disappointed.

We have been there several times, and each time I am fascinated with the work they do. There is always people working on cameos and in their back room they have bunches of smaller cameos which they will make into earrings or whatever you like. It is about 1/2 mile from the port (Not Mahogony Bay)

• 2 months later...

I am planning on stopping here on our visit to the island.

Can anyone give some prices for the pieces they sell there? I've looked at some of the work online and am hoping to buy a couple of pieces.

Thank you,

\

Bobbie

Thank you. Do you happen to remember how much the conch shells were?

I am interested in going there as well. I love to bring back at least one original piece from a cruise if not too expensive.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We did not price the very large conch shells. There were some there that were lamps & were several hundred dollars, I believe. Sorry! They are beautiful.

The abalone was less costly than the conch.

They had a VIP room that had really expensive and intricate pieces in it, many costing a few thousand dollars.....you may want to try sending an e-mail to them to ask basic prices. The conch shells are very heavy. I bought one about the size of my hand for $5 from a young boy on the beach. If you book a tour thru Bodden, their tour guides are very knowledgeable and will not lead you astray.

They will take you where you want to go & let you know what you have time to do, so you will not be late coming back. I hope that this helps!!

We did not price the very large conch shells. There were some there that were lamps & were several hundred dollars, I believe. Sorry! They are beautiful.

The abalone was less costly than the conch.

They had a VIP room that had really expensive and intricate pieces in it, many costing a few thousand dollars.....you may want to try sending an e-mail to them to ask basic prices. The conch shells are very heavy. I bought one about the size of my hand for $5 from a young boy on the beach. If you book a tour thru Bodden, their tour guides are very knowledgeable and will not lead you astray.

They will take you where you want to go & let you know what you have time to do, so you will not be late coming back. I hope that this helps!!

Thank you. I really like the idea of trying to email them. I am planning on using Victor with the cameo factory as one of the stops.

thank again

Bobbie

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
We are doing an excursion in Roatan and don't think we will have time to visit the cameo factory. We are interested in buying cameo while in Roatan, can you suggest an place that is within walking distance of Mahogany Bay and what the average prices are?

There are not any shops outside of Mahogany Bay that are in walking distance. If there are cameos in shops within MB they won't be cheap.

• 1 month later...

Cruising NCL in January. I am quite interested in going to the cameo factory but it doesn't look like NCL does an excursion there. Does anyone have any information as to how to go there, where it is located from where the ship docks? I do wish there was an excursion that at least had a stop here through the ship. Any suggestions or information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

We went to Roatan in March 2012 on the NCL Star (If memory serves, it docked in Coxen Hole). I doubt you could walk there, but we could see the ship from the Cameo Factory.

We used Murphy’s Roatan Tours and got our own driver (we lucked out and got Murphy himself, he's AWESOME! I highly recommend him), and we did our own thing.

We also got lucky in that we asked if Franco Tamarro was there and he was! I bought a cameo, and he signed it for me :)

I ride horses, and it was a horse head, which was also unique in that everything else there was ocean/nautical.

He has the most amazing pieces on display in his workshop (I don't think those were for sale)

cameo.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

we will be on a cruise in first part of dec ( Vision ) and I wanted to buy a gift for someone that likes sailing ( sail boat) ..... so perhaps a cameo with a sail boat on it would be a nice thing to purchase. Do I need to go to the factory or some stores have a good selection as well ?

How is the quality ? prices ? Is it worth buying it there ?

• 3 weeks later...
Cruising NCL in January. I am quite interested in going to the cameo factory but it doesn't look like NCL does an excursion there. Does anyone have any information as to how to go there, where it is located from where the ship docks? I do wish there was an excursion that at least had a stop here through the ship. Any suggestions or information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Get a tour through Island Marketing (ask for Norma)

or Victor Boden.

There are also drivers who are independent.

They must be screened and approved.

I feel all are reputable.

They will take you anywhere you want to go.

Check Trip Adv for restaurants and things to do.

We love the #1 place to eat - Cal’s.

The Cameo Factory is VERY near the port in Coxen Hole - where the Dawn will be.

My guess is a 5 minute drive.

I have 2 cameos from there and I love them both.

One is 2 dolphins and the other is an iguana.

It is an amazing place and all cameos are made there.

You can even watch a girl carving.

• 2 weeks later...
Get a tour through Island Marketing (ask for Norma)

or Victor Boden.

There are also drivers who are independent.

They must be screened and approved.

I feel all are reputable.

They will take you anywhere you want to go.

Check Trip Adv for restaurants and things to do.

We love the #1 place to eat - Cal’s.

The Cameo Factory is VERY near the port in Coxen Hole - where the Dawn will be.

My guess is a 5 minute drive.

I have 2 cameos from there and I love them both.

One is 2 dolphins and the other is an iguana.

It is an amazing place and all cameos are made there.

You can even watch a girl carving.

Thank you so much for this info. I will check out both island Marketing & Victor Bodden. I also just noticed NCL does have an excursion a glass bottom boat with a stop in village and the cameo factory. Not real sure as to what the glass bottom boat would be like as it says it does not submerge. I wonder if it is stationary? Any thoughts?

TY

Thank you so much for this info. I will check out both island Marketing & Victor Bodden. I also just noticed NCL does have an excursion a glass bottom boat with a stop in village and the cameo factory. Not real sure as to what the glass bottom boat would be like as it says it does not submerge. I wonder if it is stationary? Any thoughts?

TY

The Cameo Factory is very close to the NCL pier.

You can see the ship from the factory.

I would use a tour company with a small car or van.

I still also think the independent drivers are good.

You can stay as long as you want.

The NCL tour buses are on a schedule.

Just my thoughts.

Someone asked about glass bottom boats.

They will probably take you out over the reefs.

They just do not go under water.

I've never been too impressed with them at other ports, but maybe these are OK???

Judy

• 3 weeks later...

TY

Glass bottom boat pic attached .. if this works :)

1297630563_glassbottom(1).jpg.7ec14d2d79be14b3c3b039e44d1915af.jpg

Glass bottom boat pic attached .. if this works :)

Thank you for the pic. Is this the one in Roatan? Looks awfully small and tight. If this is what is offered I am not too impressed. Hmmm think I better start looking for something else that offers the cameo factory. :(