Cameo Factory (MERGED THREADS)

maltesemom

• 2 months later...

Anyone with experience to tell us about the Cameo Factory in Roatan? We would like to know if it is worth saving a little extra time to stop at before going back to the ship?

I found the website for the factory. No prices were listed for purchasing. Are they expensive?

Thanks!

• 5 weeks later...

I have not posted to the Roatan section for a while, but see that there is still a lot of interest in Franco's Cameos. We did purchase the one mentioned above. The actual size is about 2-1/2" tall and although it took several months to get it set and delivered, it is one of the most treasured pieces in my wife's jewelry collection. I'll be glad to answer any questions.

As a follow up to my messages above, I wanted to share the outcome of our trip to the "Stone Castle". During our visit we agreed to purchase one of Franco's very unique artistic pieces which was unset at the time. To make a very long story short, after many phone calls and discussions, the cameo made a trip to NYC, where it was finished and returned to Roatan, then eventually to us. So, if I did the upload properly, here it is !

OMG- this is just gorgeous!!

I think I have decided on our next cruise - one that goes to Roatan so I can purchase a cameo. :D

My mother will be 80 next year and has always wanted a cameo so I know I will be purchasing one for her as well.

Thank you CCers you are as usual a wealth of knowledge for ports of call.

Thanks for sharing the picture - the cameo is beautiful! Do you mind me asking how much you paid for it and to have it set? I wasn't thinking about stopping by the factory but after seeing your picture, I have to reconsider...

I'm not ignoring your question - just haven't looked at this thread for a while. Right now, I honestly can't remember exactly what the final cost was (perhaps my brain doesn't want to remember or I am embarassed to admit what we ultimately paid). Clearly the intricate white gold banding and diamond insets added significant cost - it even came back more than Franco had estimated. However, to his credit, he did not ask for any payment until he had delivered the piece to us (very trusting), in spite of the fact that he had engraved my wife's name on the back while we were there. It is truly a one-of-a-kind piece; however, there ae many other less costly items in the shop for purchase, all hand-made from shells collected just off the coast. I believe it is the only place this side of the Atlantic where you can visit a working cameo studio.

As a follow up to my messages above, I wanted to share the outcome of our trip to the "Stone Castle". During our visit we agreed to purchase one of Franco's very unique artistic pieces which was unset at the time. To make a very long story short, after many phone calls and discussions, the cameo made a trip to NYC, where it was finished and returned to Roatan, then eventually to us. So, if I did the upload properly, here it is !

Wow, that is a beautiful piece.

• 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Stone Castle Cameos is about 2 miles left out of the cruise dock gate in Coxen's Hole. The factory/showroom makes both traditional and some rather innovative designs. DW, who has exquisite taste in jewelry (and a meatloaf budget:rolleyes:), thought very highly of the work. The prices range from under $100.00 USD to

I just tried to go to stonecastlecameos.com, but I got "Not Found" when I did so. :confused: oh, well.

It's worth just going there just to see the artisans making them. ;)

• 1 month later...

I was wondering this myself. I tried the link I found on the board, but I cannot get it to pull up. I've been searching to see if they changed the link and I've come up empty handed.

I've also been wondering about their prices....I'm sure they are expensive since they are hand crafted out of shell, but I wanted more specific information. Like, approximately how much a small pendant would be? Hoping someone could give some examples on sizes and prices.

Can't give you their exact status, but friends of ours visited there less than a month ago and bought something. As for prices, they have smaller pieces (perhaps made by apprentices) for "souvenior" prices as well as extremely intricate pieces created by Franco himself. These one of a kind pieces can cost thousands.

My DW, remembering our visit in 2005, says that it would depend on what mounting (gold or silver), the size, and the complexity of the piece. At that time, she says, you could in her estimation "get a nice piece" for about $200. Currently, the only way to find out is to apparently drop by Stone Castle Cameos and see what Franco has to offer. And to watch the craftsmen in action making the cameos by grinding conch shell down to the colored interior layers. Pretty neat.:cool:

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Been awhile since there has been a post here, but I thought I'd tweak the thread and try.

Has anyone been there recently? Are they still carving cameo's on site so that we can watch them made? I saw they had a website but it seems to be down now.

I'd appreciate any information.

Thanks!

We're going to Roatan in March, 2010, aboard the Legend.

I WANT one!!! :D I think the one pictured in this thread is fabulous!

I hope they are still there. Maybe they have become overwhelmed with all the business, being as they are handmade?

Anyone, been there lately?

Dreaming of Floating...............