Why is the Liberty getting assistance by a tug?

epcopres

It seems like the last week, a lot of ships have had difficulty getting off the dock in PC. Seems that either the wind or the current in the ICW is tending to pin them to the dock, so the tug assist until the ship makes the turn. From the palms, it looks like its quite windy.

Liberty is a propeller and rudder ship, while FOS has pods. So, even with 3 stern thrusters (maybe 1.8-2.0 Mw), she doesn't have the stern thrust of the FOS with 2 azipods with 17Mw each. They can use the propellers and rudders to walk a ship sideways, but if the distance between ships was a little tight, they don't want to do this too strongly.

It looked like the tug was going to the ship in front of FOS for assist as well.

Edited by chengkp75

I was in an aft balcony this morning when we docked. As I watched from my balcony the tug appeared on the starboard rear corner as we were about halfway into the channel. There is a lot of dredging and channel widening going on and it appeared as the tug was there for assistance as it did give a few gentle pushes to the rear of the ship. I had never seen this before and it did not happen at any of the other ports.

Did she finally get out all right?

Yeah, no delay or problems. The tug would have been ordered a couple of hours prior to departure, given the weather, and would have been standing by at the time they started letting lines go. A few more thousand horsepower does wonders.