Help us choose our first cruise! Liberty or Glory? East or South Caribbean?

almendrada

Hi everyone! I'm pretty new to the CC forums, and to cruising in general, and so is my husband. But we have been longing for another real vacation ever since our honeymoon at an all-inclusive beach resort, and have decided to just make it happen!

I'm a college student, and also have a full time job in addition to volunteering; my husband tends to work overtime. For this reason, we are restricted to when we can go, and it's pretty much gotta be the week of March 6-12, 2016.

As far as I can see, our two options on Carnival (which is what we can afford) are Glory's Eastern Caribbean route out of Miami to Half Moon Cay, St Thomas, San Juan, and Grand Turk; or Liberty's Southern Caribbean route out of San Juan to St Thomas, Barbados, St Lucia, St Kitts, and St Maarten.

A bit about us:

• We're in our late 30's
  • We're not very active (though we're trying to get to the gym more!)
  • We're both pretty heavy
  • We both love to be relaxed on vacation
  • Neither of us really likes to gamble
  • We like history/sightseeing-type activities
  • I love laying out and reading on the beach or by the pool.
  • I drink, he doesn't.
  • I'm very adventurous, food-wise; he isn't.
  • I speak Spanish, he doesn't.

I would love feedback from anyone who has been to these destinations, or on one or both of these ships. We're saving up, slowly but surely, to make our deposit, and that's when we'll likely decide for sure.

Any tips? Things we should consider?

Thanks in advance for all your help!

Two great itineraries, and two great ships!

Can you fly direct into San Juan?

You will LOVE Half Moon Cay.

But St Lucia is absolute incredible.

The SJ itinerary is port intensive. You have to decide if you would like more sea days. We love them... It's like that Beatles song... 'Oh, that magic feeling... Nowhere to go...'

Two great itineraries, and two great ships!

Can you fly direct into San Juan?

You will LOVE Half Moon Cay.

But St Lucia is absolute incredible.

The SJ itinerary is port intensive. You have to decide if you would like more sea days. We love them... It's like that Beatles song... 'Oh, that magic feeling... Nowhere to go...'

Thanks for replying!

My mom has been on 5 Carnival cruises, and she says she loves the sea days. I also really like being able to stretch out and relax... but I've always wanted to see St. Lucia ever since I saw someone's honeymoon pictures. Those Pitons are amazing!

We live in frozen Minnesota, so any flight (to anywhere) will be a bit of an ordeal. I don't believe that there are any direct flights from MSP to SJU, and the Miami ones do appear to be a titch cheaper. Lots to consider...

Hi everyone! I'm pretty new to the CC forums, and to cruising in general, and so is my husband. But we have been longing for another real vacation ever since our honeymoon at an all-inclusive beach resort, and have decided to just make it happen!

I'm a college student, and also have a full time job in addition to volunteering; my husband tends to work overtime. For this reason, we are restricted to when we can go, and it's pretty much gotta be the week of March 6-12, 2016.

As far as I can see, our two options on Carnival (which is what we can afford) are Glory's Eastern Caribbean route out of Miami to Half Moon Cay, St Thomas, San Juan, and Grand Turk; or Liberty's Southern Caribbean route out of San Juan to St Thomas, Barbados, St Lucia, St Kitts, and St Maarten.

A bit about us:

• We're in our late 30's
  • We're not very active (though we're trying to get to the gym more!)
  • We're both pretty heavy
  • We both love to be relaxed on vacation
  • Neither of us really likes to gamble
  • We like history/sightseeing-type activities
  • I love laying out and reading on the beach or by the pool.
  • I drink, he doesn't.
  • I'm very adventurous, food-wise; he isn't.
  • I speak Spanish, he doesn't.

I would love feedback from anyone who has been to these destinations, or on one or both of these ships. We're saving up, slowly but surely, to make our deposit, and that's when we'll likely decide for sure.

Any tips? Things we should consider?

Thanks in advance for all your help!

Wow, given your work class, work & volunteerism schedule, I'm surprised you have time for yourselves. The Glory and Liberty are the same class of ships (Conquest class) so for the most part, the ships are the same.

Miami is going to be a less expensive flight.

Glory's Eastern Caribbean route out of Miami to Half Moon Cay, St Thomas, San Juan, and Grand Turk;

Half Moon Cay is a private island owned by HAL which is owned by Carnival. Though I have not been to this one, all the reviews of the island are very good. St. Thomas has some history and lots of very good beaches (Sapphire Beach, Coki Beach and Magen's Bay. San Juan on the other hand has lots of history. Grand Turk for the most part has the cruise center which includes a nice beach, a Margaritaville, a large pool and a Flowrider (a surfing simulator). And two days at sea (I like to begin and end with a day at sea).

Liberty's Southern Caribbean route out of San Juan to St Thomas, Barbados, St Lucia, St Kitts, and St Maarten.

We have already discussed San Juan, which besides its history is known for its night life (and Ricky Martin). And we discussed St. Thomas. Though I've been to Barbados, St. Lucia and St. Kitts, none hold any special interest for me. However, many people do like these islands. Finally there is St. Maarten, which both Dutch and French. It has one very well known beach, Orient Beach and one that is known well by the cruise and airline people, as you have to duck when the plane land at the airport next door.

St. Thomas ...

D8-5.jpg

Coki Beach ...

CorolWorldIMGP0144_zps7eba9b4a.jpg

San Juan ...

D15-E.jpg

Grand Turk ...

D14-F.jpg

D14-B.jpg

St. Maarten ...

hStm10_zps1424c244.jpg

Edited by Cuizer2

We have done the Eastern ( not on glory ) and loved it. Doing the southern on Liberty in May and looking forward to it. I think you will be happy going to either one.

I'd be interested to see what you thought after you return from your cruise in May. Thanks for replying!

If you can get a mind around more activity..(I have to loose and work on some fybromyalgia and arthritis all over and feet and ankle orthodic need etc. settling in myself) the San Juan trip could be a cool far out goal for a busier cruise loosing a few etc....in fact you are helping me with that early book idea which I never do.

The other one is wonderful to though...can't go wrong with either and Carnival's affordable options..THANK GOD...

I want to try others..but there is always hope with Carnival and so many deals for sooner rather than later,,,Happy Deciding!!!

Edited by sjn911

Thanks for replying!

My mom has been on 5 Carnival cruises, and she says she loves the sea days. I also really like being able to stretch out and relax... but I've always wanted to see St. Lucia ever since I saw someone's honeymoon pictures. Those Pitons are amazing!

We live in frozen Minnesota, so any flight (to anywhere) will be a bit of an ordeal. I don't believe that there are any direct flights from MSP to SJU, and the Miami ones do appear to be a titch cheaper. Lots to consider...

If you can go Liberty, I would. Then, you can chose to be as active as you want - perhaps going into port for a few hours or for a short excursion and then back on the ship to relax?

Wow, given your work class, work & volunteerism schedule, I'm surprised you have time for yourselves. The Glory and Liberty are the same class of ships (Conquest class) so for the most part, the ships are the same.

Miami is going to be a less expensive flight.

Glory's Eastern Caribbean route out of Miami to Half Moon Cay, St Thomas, San Juan, and Grand Turk;

Half Moon Cay is a private island owned by HAL which is owned by Carnival. Though I have not been to this one, all the reviews of the island are very good. St. Thomas has some history and lots of very good beaches (Sapphire Beach, Coki Beach and Magen's Bay. San Juan on the other hand has lots of history. Grand Turk for the most part has the cruise center which includes a nice beach, a Margaritaville, a large pool and a Flowrider (a surfing simulator). And two days at sea (I like to begin and end with a day at sea).

Liberty's Southern Caribbean route out of San Juan to St Thomas, Barbados, St Lucia, St Kitts, and St Maarten.

We have already discussed San Juan, which besides its history is known for its night life (and Ricky Martin). And we discussed St. Thomas. Though I've been to Barbados, St. Lucia and St. Kitts, none hold any special interest for me. However, many people do like these islands. Finally there is St. Maarten, which both Dutch and French. It has one very well known beach, Orient Beach and one that is known well by the cruise and airline people, as you have to duck when the plane land at the airport next door.

Oh my goodness, thank you! This information is pretty much exactly what I was looking for. And those pictures: wow! I'm going to show this stuff to my husband.

Part of my frustration is that I would love, love, love to walk around in Old San Juan... but I get very tired after lots of walking. In addition to my weight issues, I also have MS. Clearly I need to take advantage of the upcoming year and build my stamina at the gym.

If you can get a mind around more activity..(I have to loose and work on some fybromyalgia and arthritis all over and feet and ankle orthodic need etc. settling in myself) the San Juan trip could be a cool far out goal for a busier cruise loosing a few etc....in fact you are helping me with that early book idea which I never do.

The other one is wonderful to though...can't go wrong with either and Carnival's affordable options..THANK GOD...

I want to try others..but there is always hope with Carnival and so many deals for sooner rather than later,,,Happy Deciding!!!

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I have MS in addition to the pounds... but I *know* from previous experience that I can build up my stamina with exercise, even if I don't lose all the weight. Old San Juan just might be the incentive I need to do that!

If you can go Liberty, I would. Then, you can chose to be as active as you want - perhaps going into port for a few hours or for a short excursion and then back on the ship to relax?

I do like this idea, especially if there's lots to do right around the cruise terminal. There's nothing that says we have to spend the WHOLE day out on the island.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I have MS in addition to the pounds... but I *know* from previous experience that I can build up my stamina with exercise, even if I don't lose all the weight. Old San Juan just might be the incentive I need to do that!

Yes and you sure are helping me today with the chat..my mom was "hobbled" as dad the rancher put it like me now..just have to get behind myself better...even those sit and stay fit things help me...my best to you and prayers in health management and happy TRAVELS....!!!:):)

I think both are great options. Liberty and Glory are the same class of ship, so are identical in layout. I have been on Liberty and loved it. I like both itineraries, but lean in one way toward the Liberty because I have been on it before and love the ship decor wise, also I fell in love with San Juan last cruise and my dream cruise right now is that southern route out of San Juan, but for me I would have to spend at least two or three days pre cruise there, meaning extra cost. But that is just me.

I would also love to cruise on the Glory, like that itinerary very much, but I am also interested in that ship, because it is one of the ships that are testing out the new "American Table" menu in the MDR, and looks quite appealing to me. It seems though that the new menu will be fleetwide within the next 6 months, if rumor is correct. No one knows at this point.

However, being new to Carnival, this will not matter at all, since either the old or the new menu, both will be new.

I would make my choice based on whether it is easier to fly to one port of departure over the other, and cost of cruise, as well as ports of call (all great ones), but some may appeal more to you than the other.

Either way, both great ships, great itineraries. Hope you enjoy whichever one you pick:)

edit to say; both Glory and Liberty do the new American Table menu. Sorry, hope not to confuse

Edited by SMSACE6

Oh my goodness, thank you! This information is pretty much exactly what I was looking for. And those pictures: wow! I'm going to show this stuff to my husband.

Part of my frustration is that I would love, love, love to walk around in Old San Juan... but I get very tired after lots of walking. In addition to my weight issues, I also have MS. Clearly I need to take advantage of the upcoming year and build my stamina at the gym.

I tried to take a Segway tour in San Juan, but not enough people signed up. If you go to San Juan, sign up for the Segway tour and if enough people sign up, you can go. If not, you'll get a refund.

This is from Bermuda ...

D18-D.jpg

They are a lot of fun. I would get one if I could figure out how to justify the $6,000 price for what would be just a toy for me.

I have been on several cruises and the itinerary out of San Juan was my favorite cruise thus far. In fact, we liked it so much that we are doing it again this summer! My husband and I are also in our 30's and found there were a lot fewer children on the San Juan cruise and more couples in their 30's. The beaches in St. Thomas are amazing. The water in Barbados was also incredible. My profile pic is from taking a surfing lesson in Barbados, which I highly recommend. St. Lucia is my absolute favorite port, and there are a few excursions that take you to a beach right next to the pitons. I know you said you aren't that adventurous, but there is even an excursion where you can hike up the Gros Piton. St. Kitts has a lot of historical landmarks, which are interesting. I agree with other comments that Maho Beach in St. Maarten is a blast and should not be missed. Orient beach is also beautiful, and there are some delicious bakeries on the French side. In sum, the southern itinerary has a great combination of beach days, amazing scenery, historical landmarks, and even some opportunities for adventure, if you want to try something different.

That is certainly a tough call although IMHO the ports in the second option as a whole are stronger. Whichever one you don't do you can always try the following year! They are all great stops! A cruise out of san juan may cost you more in airfare.

Our first cruise involved some of the ports in your southern option. We loved it! (21 ppl of varying ages) Coming from Canada, we wanted warmth more than anything.

This Christmas we will try the Glory and some eastern ports. My husband is most looking forward to San Juan.

St Maarten is my fav stop thus far. (Grand Cayman a close second) If you are interested in a tour on St Maarten,, it can be well worth it. We visited 3 beaches (Orient, Maho and one other) and our guide gave us lots of info about the island.

Yes and you sure are helping me today with the chat..my mom was "hobbled" as dad the rancher put it like me now..just have to get behind myself better...even those sit and stay fit things help me...my best to you and prayers in health management and happy TRAVELS....!!!:):)

Thank you so very much. And lots of good health and safe travels to you! :)

I think both are great options. Liberty and Glory are the same class of ship, so are identical in layout. I have been on Liberty and loved it. I like both itineraries, but lean in one way toward the Liberty because I have been on it before and love the ship decor wise, also I fell in love with San Juan last cruise and my dream cruise right now is that southern route out of San Juan, but for me I would have to spend at least two or three days pre cruise there, meaning extra cost. But that is just me.

I would also love to cruise on the Glory, like that itinerary very much, but I am also interested in that ship, because it is one of the ships that are testing out the new "American Table" menu in the MDR, and looks quite appealing to me. It seems though that the new menu will be fleetwide within the next 6 months, if rumor is correct. No one knows at this point.

However, being new to Carnival, this will not matter at all, since either the old or the new menu, both will be new.

I would make my choice based on whether it is easier to fly to one port of departure over the other, and cost of cruise, as well as ports of call (all great ones), but some may appeal more to you than the other.

Either way, both great ships, great itineraries. Hope you enjoy whichever one you pick:)

edit to say; both Glory and Liberty do the new American Table menu. Sorry, hope not to confuse

It looks like Miami will be easier and cheaper to fly into... but the Southern route actually seems to be a bit less expensive. It seems to fluctuate daily, but I've never seen the Liberty route actually be more than the Glory route.

I've never been to San Juan, but I share your fascination with it. I would love to fly in early and explore... but of course we're limited by time. It will all depend on which classes I will be taking that semester. If I can get mostly online classes, or classes that don't meet Mondays or Fridays, we may be able to extend our stay a little bit. We're at the mercy of the academic schedule...if only those university big-wigs knew how much power they held! :rolleyes:

I tried to take a Segway tour in San Juan, but not enough people signed up. If you go to San Juan, sign up for the Segway tour and if enough people sign up, you can go. If not, you'll get a refund.

They are a lot of fun. I would get one if I could figure out how to justify the $6,000 price for what would be just a toy for me.

What a fantastic idea! I've never ridden a Segway before, but always wanted to try it. Is it difficult? Do you know if there are weight restrictions?