Ruby to Hawaii Enrichment Question

jasmith52

Can anyone answer my question ?

We were on the Grand Princess Hawaii cruise and they had Hula classes and a Hawaiian Duo (Eula - I believe they were called) that performed in the lounge. They also had an excellent lecture series about Hawaii and the various islands. They also had some lecture series about Hawaii's involvement in World War II and the Pearl Harbor attack.

Is there and will there be similar enrichment programs and music on Ruby Princess to Hawaii ? Will they have any Hawaiian enrichment programs ?

Does anyone have any information ?

If your Cruise Director was also David Cole, then you were blessed with the best entertainment trio and Hawaiian program at sea.

Elua (two) is very very good and I understand Princess now has another couple that rotates around the fleet that is just like ELUA (a couple). They (group name ?) will be on my Star Princess cruise coming up in March to Hawaii and I will gladly report back when I return.

Your question is valid, we sailed the Star to Hawaii a couple years ago with NO Hawaiian program at all and you talk about a dull cruise. We might as well been cruising to nowhere special, because thats how it felt.

Hopefully someone knows some specifics for you, happy cruising.

Edited by MTJSR

http://www.princess.com/learn/cruise-destinations/hawaii-cruises/cruises/aloha_spirit/

ALOHA SPIRIT PROGRAM

As the destination experts, we've created an all-encompassing Hawaii cruise experience that gets you into the "Aloha Spirit" the moment you step onboard! Throughout your journey, you'll enjoy a variety of island activities from hands-on demonstrations to cultural events and lectures, and of course, freshly prepared authentic Hawaiian cuisine.

Engaging Cultural Activities

Aloha-Sail Away Deck party

Learn to strum a ukulele

Hawaii-themed movies

Enjoy Hawaiian melodies performed poolside

Weave a fresh flower lei

Sample Hawaii's famous Kona coffee

Enrichment programs featuring a dedicated naturalist as well as lecturers

Halau Hula Olana (Honolulu only) – This popular dance troupe is made up of 30 children (keiki) between the ages of 6 and 16 from the most revered hula school in Hawaii and is a perennial winner of prestigious hula competitions throughout Hawaii.

Let loose at a hula dance lesson

Classes in the art of tying a sarong

Participate in a tropical rum tasting

Compete in Hawaii-themed trivia games

Take part in a native language class

Dive into a Hawaiian culinary demonstration

And more!

Note: Activities available vary by ship.

Great Tasting Hawaiian-Inspired Dishes, Freshly Prepared

Appetizers & Soups

Hawaiian Style Red Snapper Ceviche

Caramelized Maui Onion Soup

Crusted Mahi-Mahi with Crab Bisque

Kona-Style Vegetable Lumpia with Spicy Mango Sauce

Grilled Ono Steak with Lime Butter

Grilled Tiger Shrimp Kebabs, Mango Lime Relish

Seared Yellowfin Tuna on Cucumber-Fennel Slaw

Main Courses

Togarashi-Seared Red Snapper with Haricots Verts Salad

Wok-Flashed Shrimp with Lehua Honey

Kalua Duck with Plum Wine Sauce

Luau Pork with Apricot Drippings, Runner Beans & Smoked Bacon Fricassee

Desserts

Flourless Macadamia Nut Chocolate Cake

Hawaiian Haupia Pudding with Coconut and Vanilla

Flambéed Pineapples

Drinks

Ultimate Mai Tai

Blue Hawaiian Punch

Themed Buffets (sample dishes)

Golden Dragon Buffet – Green Seafood Curry, Crispy Duck in Plum Hoisin Sauce, Chili Beef with Cashew Nuts and Oyster Sauce, Singapore Noodles with Prawns and Spicy Pork

Sushi Station – Nigiri (Ahi Tuna, Salmon, Shrimp, Tamago), Cut Rolls (Salmon & Cream Cheese, Asparagus & Cucumber, Pickled Daikon & Pineapple, Avocado/Papaya/Mango)

Hawai'i Island Night (sample dishes)

Kamehameha Fruit Soup

Hawaiian Suckling Pig

Lomi Lomi Salmon

Pipikalua Cured Beef

Kona Style Ahi Poke

Polynesian Chicken Pupu

Oyster Sauce Marinated Pork Spareribs

Shredded Kalua Pig in Ti Leaves

Pineapple Macadamia Nut Bread

Five Spice Chocolate Mousse

Baked Hawaii

Chocolate-Dipped Fruits

Pineapple Flambé

Beverage Promotion: Ultimate Mai Tai - Hawaiian Tropics - Paradise Punch

Edited by Astro Flyer

You did not mention the date of you Ruby Princess cruise. The October 3 to 18, 2015 R/T LA Hawaiian Ambassadors will be "Makani E", Lokeline and Kimo. The other Ruby Princess cruise is November 15 to 30, 2015 R/T LA with Hawaiian Ambassadors "Elua", Leialoha and Dave. David Cole along with Elua has a well established reputation. On our 2014 November Hawaiian cruise, we were very fortunate to have David Cole paired with Makani E. They truly shared the Aloha Spirit. You will not be disappointed on either cruise. :D:D:D

Depends when you will be on the Ruby. ELUA will be on for the November 2015 sailings out of LA. Dave Cole will not. (Princess didn't listen to me and a whole lot of other people all wishing for that.)

Dave (ELUA) will be doing the ukulele lessons and Leialoha will teach the Hula.

There will probably be a naturalist on board who will give the enrichment lessons. They usually consist of animals, plants, weather, and some places of interest....but nothing close to what Dave Cole dwells on. Those of you who will be sailing the March (2015) cruises: I am highly recommending that you attend all of Dave Cole's lectures going over and returning.

The cruise director's staff fill in by doing lei making classes, origami activities, and a few other "Hawaiiana" type stuff. Not the same.

It's a cruise and it's going to Hawaii. How great is that!

I have been on various Hawaii cruises with David Cole by himself, Elua by themselves, David Cole and Elua together and some with neither. In each case, it is the cruise staff that taught fresh flower leis and ribbon leis, not Elua or David Cole. David's lectures on Hawaiiana, including the Hawaiian language are great but we've also had some entertaining independant lecturers when Dave wasn't onboard.

In the last few years, I believe Princess has tried to give a wonderful Hawaii experience on all of their ships who make this cruise. I have been on at least 7 Hawaii trips with the first in 2004 and have watched the program grow. David and Elua can only be in so many places at once, and I believe the program works even without them. David Cole is particularly enthusiastic and, if I remember correctly, he implemented much of the program as he was assigned to various ships and worked with the various CD staffs to get the enrichment propgram up to speed.

I wish you a wonderful cruise. It's one of our favorites.

According to Elua and Makani E, their cruising schedule ends in November and December 2015. A third Hawaiian Ambassador Duo is Brian & Rowena Vasquez, will be cruising on Ruby Princess-April 2015, out of LA. Star Princess-September 2015, out of Vancouver and finally on Crown Princess-October 2015 again out of LA.

According to Elua and Makani E, their cruising schedule ends in November and December 2015. A third Hawaiian Ambassador Duo is Brian & Rowena Vasquez, will be cruising on Ruby Princess-April 2015, out of LA. Star Princess-September 2015, out of Vancouver and finally on Crown Princess-October 2015 again out of LA.

Actually according to a post that Dave (of Elua) made yesterday, they don't know which ship they'll be assigned to after November, 2015. That doesn't mean that they won't be after that, just that they don't have which one. Two different things. You probably didn't mean that, but it's a bit misleading to state it that way.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=45653880#post45653880

Elua and Makani E, Their Cruising Schedule Ends in November and December 2015. Elua ends in November and Makani E ends in December... What was misleading about that?? :confused:

Their post said: Right now, we only have confirmed dates through November of 2015. Assignments for after that will in all likelihood not be given until the summer...so we have been told. We have requested the Ruby, so we are hopeful that we will be given that assignment.

Again, not our contract ends in November, not that we're only on board until November, but that they just have confirmed dates through November. Very different, which is why I said it can be misleading -- some people might get the wrong message from your post.

• 4 weeks later...
Can anyone answer my question ?

We were on the Grand Princess Hawaii cruise and they had Hula classes and a Hawaiian Duo (Eula - I believe they were called) that performed in the lounge. They also had an excellent lecture series about Hawaii and the various islands. They also had some lecture series about Hawaii's involvement in World War II and the Pearl Harbor attack.

Is there and will there be similar enrichment programs and music on Ruby Princess to Hawaii ? Will they have any Hawaiian enrichment programs ?

Does anyone have any information ?

Aloha Gang!

Hope you all are doing well!

Kimo & I (Lokelina) will be on the Ruby Princess October 3rd-October 18th.

Our Hawaiian Enrichment Program includes hula, 'ukulele, & heirloom lei classes and also PowerPoint presentations about the foods, the language, and the hula of Hawaii.

Onboard you will experience great port lectures and, depending on who the assigned lecturer is, great lectures on topics related to Hawaii.

Hope to see you onboard!

Their post said: Right now' date=' we only have confirmed dates through November of 2015. Assignments for after that will in all likelihood not be given until the summer...so we have been told. We have requested the Ruby, so we are hopeful that we will be given that assignment.

Again, not our contract ends in November, not that we're only on board until November, but that they just have confirmed dates through November. Very different, which is why I said it can be misleading -- some people might get the wrong message from your post.

Aloha!

To help clarify a possible misunderstanding... All of us have several contracts during the year to be on certain voyages & ships. Currently, we have confirmed voyages throughout 2015. We will not get our 2016 schedule for awhile. So as of today, none of us know what ship we will be on for 2016.

Aloha!

To help clarify a possible misunderstanding... All of us have several contracts during the year to be on certain voyages & ships. Currently, we have confirmed voyages throughout 2015. We will not get our 2016 schedule for awhile. So as of today, none of us know what ship we will be on for 2016.

Thank you. I was concerned that some people would get the idea from the other poster that you and Elua were just going to be scheduled through 2015, while it's more that the contracts just need to be done for 2016 and beyond. Just like when cruisers look at shore excursions that might be only listed through June or December of a year...it's not that there aren't excursions after that, but that the negotiations haven't been worked out yet for the upcoming months.

Makani E- Rozz and Jim, Fran and I will be with you on Oct. 24 cruise. Sorry about giving out bad info on your 2015 schedule as you posted. Fran is still performing with her senior ladies at our Hawaii State Club Luau's, senior homes and church clubs. Barbara is also taking hula classes weekly and her lei is outstanding. We'll touch base again and miss our malasadas:D:D:D.

Makani E- Rozz and Jim, Fran and I will be with you on Oct. 24 cruise. Sorry about giving out bad info on your 2015 schedule as you posted. Fran is still performing with her senior ladies at our Hawaii State Club Luau's, senior homes and church clubs. Barbara is also taking hula classes weekly and her lei is outstanding. We'll touch base again and miss our malasadas:D:D:D.

Gimer!!! Good to hear from you! I didn't think you gave out bad information. It's funny, I thought you were both saying the same thing just in different ways. It's all good! Can't wait to you & Fran again! As for the:) malasadas, first one to K-Mart wins!:)