Valley Church Beach on your own - EASY!

douggw

We visited Antigua last month while on a cruise. We knew we wanted to go to the Beach in Antigua, but went back and forth on which beach to choose.

Finally, after reading and reading, we choose Valley Church. We don't mind going on tours on our own, and find that often that is part of the fun. We had a group of 6.

After finding the directions in multiple threads on this board, I printed them out and we were off. Who wants to take a taxi for $15 each when you can ride the bus for $1.50 - that's quite a difference!

The walk to the bus station was literally 10 minutes...and quite the experience. You get to walk through downtown where all the locals do their shopping. We loved it! Super super easy to find the bus station. There is also a multi story "mall" across the street from the bus station that has "normal" prices and not the tourist prices you find right off the ship.

There was a guy right at the entrance to the bus station and he directed us to the bus. It left right away as it was full. Funny, about 75% of the bus were NOT locals - they were tourists going to the different beaches! I guess a lot of people read these boards! ha ha...

We told the driver we wanted to get off at Valley Church. We meandered through town and country for about 15-20 minutes. Let some girls off to go to school. I saw the sign for the Nest Bar and knew our stop was coming up. The bus driver pulled off to the side and announced we were at Valley Church. When it was time to go back, he said just come out to the road and flag down any bus - they are all going back to the station.

The beach was beautiful, but surprisingly busy. The "walk" down the road was like 5 minutes or less. As you walk in, the beach in that area is not as busy, and there are trees to provide shade. But if you want to rent chairs and umbrellas, you have to go further in, near the Nest restaurant..and it's crowded there too. We wanted chairs/umbrella so we went further in.

Chairs/umbrella were $20 for two. Seems to be the going price at all the islands. We spent a few hours there and enjoyed the beach.

We were leaving to walk back to the main road to catch the bus, and a lady asked us if we were going to catch the bus. We said we were, and she directed us to a bus that was parked right there - it had come down the sandy road where the taxis go. She told us the price was $6 per person. I told her we were going to the "city" bus that was only $1.50 and continued walking. She then said, yes, that is this bus. I asked again the price, and she now said it was $3. And I said for both of us? $1.50 each? and she said yes. She went and told the driver standing by the door taking money, and he took our $1.50 each and we were on.

The bus wasn't full, and the lady was recruiting other people to get on the bus. This was an enterprising driver who thought he would just make his own bus route from the beach back to town. It was the city bus, he just decided to start his route from the beach.

The lady was recruiting others, and I saw others get on the bus and paid the driver $8 each! A group of 6 French tourists got on and also paid $8 each. One of the guys in their group was arguing with the driver stating they were told the bus trip would be $8 round trip, not $8 each way. The driver told him that was another bus and another driver and if he wanted to wait for that other bus and driver, go right ahead. The guy kept arguing and arguing with the driver and the driver finally told the guy to get off the bus. My group was just sitting there thinking we paid $1.50 and were good. Finally, the guy ponied up the $8 per person for the ride back and we left. He held up the bus for about 10 mins arguing.

I thought I could just mention to the guy how much we paid.......I think we'd still be there trying to get back! It was a little funny, and just proves if you do your homework before hand (reading Cruise Critic forums), you will have the upper hand.... And an additional $6.50 in your pocket!

We visited Antigua last month while on a cruise. We knew we wanted to go to the Beach in Antigua, but went back and forth on which beach to choose.

Finally, after reading and reading, we choose Valley Church. We don't mind going on tours on our own, and find that often that is part of the fun. We had a group of 6.

After finding the directions in multiple threads on this board, I printed them out and we were off. Who wants to take a taxi for $15 each when you can ride the bus for $1.50 - that's quite a difference!

The walk to the bus station was literally 10 minutes...and quite the experience. You get to walk through downtown where all the locals do their shopping. We loved it! Super super easy to find the bus station. There is also a multi story "mall" across the street from the bus station that has "normal" prices and not the tourist prices you find right off the ship.

There was a guy right at the entrance to the bus station and he directed us to the bus. It left right away as it was full. Funny, about 75% of the bus were NOT locals - they were tourists going to the different beaches! I guess a lot of people read these boards! ha ha...

We told the driver we wanted to get off at Valley Church. We meandered through town and country for about 15-20 minutes. Let some girls off to go to school. I saw the sign for the Nest Bar and knew our stop was coming up. The bus driver pulled off to the side and announced we were at Valley Church. When it was time to go back, he said just come out to the road and flag down any bus - they are all going back to the station.

The beach was beautiful, but surprisingly busy. The "walk" down the road was like 5 minutes or less. As you walk in, the beach in that area is not as busy, and there are trees to provide shade. But if you want to rent chairs and umbrellas, you have to go further in, near the Nest restaurant..and it's crowded there too. We wanted chairs/umbrella so we went further in.

Chairs/umbrella were $20 for two. Seems to be the going price at all the islands. We spent a few hours there and enjoyed the beach.

We were leaving to walk back to the main road to catch the bus, and a lady asked us if we were going to catch the bus. We said we were, and she directed us to a bus that was parked right there - it had come down the sandy road where the taxis go. She told us the price was $6 per person. I told her we were going to the "city" bus that was only $1.50 and continued walking. She then said, yes, that is this bus. I asked again the price, and she now said it was $3. And I said for both of us? $1.50 each? and she said yes. She went and told the driver standing by the door taking money, and he took our $1.50 each and we were on.

The bus wasn't full, and the lady was recruiting other people to get on the bus. This was an enterprising driver who thought he would just make his own bus route from the beach back to town. It was the city bus, he just decided to start his route from the beach.

The lady was recruiting others, and I saw others get on the bus and paid the driver $8 each! A group of 6 French tourists got on and also paid $8 each. One of the guys in their group was arguing with the driver stating they were told the bus trip would be $8 round trip, not $8 each way. The driver told him that was another bus and another driver and if he wanted to wait for that other bus and driver, go right ahead. The guy kept arguing and arguing with the driver and the driver finally told the guy to get off the bus. My group was just sitting there thinking we paid $1.50 and were good. Finally, the guy ponied up the $8 per person for the ride back and we left. He held up the bus for about 10 mins arguing.

I thought I could just mention to the guy how much we paid.......I think we'd still be there trying to get back! It was a little funny, and just proves if you do your homework before hand (reading Cruise Critic forums), you will have the upper hand.... And an additional $6.50 in your pocket!

Wow! What a great saving while you're on vacation.

How is this for an idea?

For the CC members, the next time you are in Antigua do the same in depth itemised thrift critique for a day at Jacqui O's, to include what you actually spent on transfers, lunch (do not forget to book), loungers and drinks, including cocktails etc.

After all, you are on vacation. :D

• 2 weeks later...
We have a stop here with an independent tour we're doing. I'm guessing there are places along the beach where we can get some lunch? Good to know the chair rental price -- that is $20 for 2 chairs, 2 umbrellas? Thanks!

At Valley Church we paid $20 for 2 chairs, 1 umbrella. They do have a Shack they serves food and drinks. Bathrooms are right there as well and they were clean both times we stopped there.

We took a cab there and for four of us we paid $8 pp

Maryann

Edited by MareT

yup went to the NEST restaurant there. 2 chairs and an umbrella for 20 bucks. The water was nice, though a little cloudy. I was surprised there were quite a number of topless women when the wife and went. It was not St. Martin. Cab was 8PP.

715_zpsdajmjhry.jpg

711_zpskwetx2lt.jpg