First Time Celebrity ;)

NyYankees2k3

So I am thinking about doing the Celebrity Eclipse in November this year. I think it's a 12 night southern. I am also thinking about the NCL Breakaway, but worried about the sea days being cold since that leaves from NY.

I like how bother are newer ships, which you don't usually get when going in Southern Caribbean cruises.

Basically asking you all to tell me your experience and if you would think I would like it and any other information. Let me tell you about me.

First cruise was Carnival Sensation, think it was back in 2001.

Then went on the RCCL Navigator of Seas, when it first came out, blew my mind. Then NCL Sun, then NCL Gem, Ncl Epic, then RCCL Oasis of Seas, RCCL Freedom of Seas, and recently Carnival Freedom.

I always enjoyed RCCL for the "WOW" factor of how big and nice the ships are, with plenty of activities. I liked NCL for their freestyle dining, and they were typically more reasonable than RCCL. I always had this idea Carnival was blah and cheap, but honestly I was pretty impressed with the Carnival Freedom and would do them again. The cruise 2.0 thing seems to be working well.

Also I will be 30 this year, not sure if that matters. When I am on the ship, usually at the pool hanging out, night is drinks dinner, and a show.

So do you think I would like Celebrity? I think I read somewhere it's mostly people in their 50s... inputs? thoughts? comments?

Forgot to mention to what's leaning me toward NCL and Celebrity this time is the free drink package included with current promotions..

Thanks a lot!

We have sailed on the Celebrity Eclipse and the NCL Getaway with our two teenagers. The Eclipse was hands down our favorite ship of all our cruises. The kids even liked it better. Service was wonderful and the ship's employees all seemed to genuinely enjoy their jobs. The Eclipse has a more open (lots of windows) plan than the NCL ship. The sailing from Florida would be my pick, the weather will be cold and windy at sea for the first few days if you chose to depart from NY. The Breakaway, like the Getaway, has no indoor pool. So outside time during the first few days would be cold. Hope this helps a little.

The Breakaway has better shows IMO and the customers are a slightly younger demographic. But it also seemed like the cruisers were ruder and pushier than on Celebrity. This might be attributed to the fact that the Eclipse cruise sailed from Southampton, UK and not the US. There are lots of bars and entertainment options too. The Celebrity Eclipse has a variety of entertainment each night and a lot of bars too. It just has a much more refined, elegant vibe.

I think Celebrity has a different vibe than the other ones you've sailed ---- more elegant, more dignified, and I have to say more sedate. Dress code is followed pretty strictly, most men wear at least a sport coat and tie on formal nights and ladies look dressy although gowns are seldom seen these days. There is a show each night which is pretty good, dancing in the atrium and the martini bar is lively, but overall entertainment is more limited than the other lines. Shows are generally scheduled before dinner for late diners, after dinner for early diners. Food is very good, service is excellent, ships are lovely and very clean. Age of passengers varies, with a somewhat older mix on the longer cruises. I would give Celebrity a try and make your own decision, but do be expecting a quieter vacation.

Edited by cynbar

That helps. How was the night life on the Eclipse. I know NCL has several shows and they got the comedy club.. any comments on the eclipse?

There is comedy on Celebrity too

Hard to say which will be on eclipse

But on Silhouette in jan we saw a comedian who was on last comic standing-- funny female from NY

There were others as well in that sailing

There is also Sin City comedy on some sailings

We felt the entertainment was vastly improved this year

Laying at the pool, drinks, evening show is Celebrity.

If you are a smoker you may be disappointed as X is basically non smoking.

Would suggest booking Aqua Class if possible as you will get all three perks plus a cabin close to the pool deck. You will also have access t the Persian Gardens, and dining in Blu.

You will not hear the rah rah. Rah like on a Carnival cruise. X does not try to keep you constantly entertained, no reminders over the PA for bingo. You will be treated like an adult and have to be responsible to keep your own schedule.

if you are looking for water slides, ice rinks and rock walls you willbe disappointed

happy cruisng 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌞

I'm in your same age demographic and the beverage package perk is a determining factor for me also. I had the same questions as you about the ambiance before sailing X. I think the time of year you go and you itinerary really impact the crowd. Our spring break on the Reflection was a lot more lively than our Summit to Bermuda this past summer. In fact, we were the only people in the lounge at 1am, besides the DJ and the bartenders. We had a view of an NCL docked right next to us and it was like a night club over there - lights and loud music. We joked about it at the time, but it actually made an impact as we just cancelled our upcoming summit to Bermuda in favor of trying NCL for the first time :) Celebrity is really great and we will sail them again in a heartbeat, we just wanted to try something different.

Things we loved:

I recommend doing select dining if you want more of a freestyle feel.

Sin city comedy, as mentioned earlier, is awesome!

Classic Drink package is excellent and includes bottled water and specialty coffee. This differs from the UBP on NCL from what I understand

It's easy to upgrade to the premium package and I recommend looking at that option if you choose X

If I could sum up X with one word, it would be elegant. It's fun for us to dress up and be pampered. That's what I would choose celebrity for when it comes down to it.

Happy sailing!

I'm in your same age demographic and the beverage package perk is a determining factor for me also. I had the same questions as you about the ambiance before sailing X. I think the time of year you go and you itinerary really impact the crowd. Our spring break on the Reflection was a lot more lively than our Summit to Bermuda this past summer. In fact, we were the only people in the lounge at 1am, besides the DJ and the bartenders. We had a view of an NCL docked right next to us and it was like a night club over there - lights and loud music. We joked about it at the time, but it actually made an impact as we just cancelled our upcoming summit to Bermuda in favor of trying NCL for the first time :) Celebrity is really great and we will sail them again in a heartbeat, we just wanted to try something different.

Things we loved:

I recommend doing select dining if you want more of a freestyle feel.

Sin city comedy, as mentioned earlier, is awesome!

Classic Drink package is excellent and includes bottled water and specialty coffee. This differs from the UBP on NCL from what I understand

It's easy to upgrade to the premium package and I recommend looking at that option if you choose X

If I could sum up X with one word, it would be elegant. It's fun for us to dress up and be pampered. That's what I would choose celebrity for when it comes down to it.

Happy sailing!

Thanks for the tips and advice... as of now I am leaning toward the NCL breakaway.. haven't ruled out the Eclipse yet either. I saw you were going on that. But I'm leaning toward the 12 day southern, vs the standard eastern that I have been on so many times. One thing I did notice.. it looks like NCL has a lot more free dining choices than the celebrity eclipse for dinner.

Thanks for the tips and advice... as of now I am leaning toward the NCL breakaway.. haven't ruled out the Eclipse yet either. I saw you were going on that. But I'm leaning toward the 12 day southern, vs the standard eastern that I have been on so many times. One thing I did notice.. it looks like NCL has a lot more free dining choices than the celebrity eclipse for dinner.

NCL Breakaway has more main dining rooms than Celebrity Eclipse. They pretty much have to since the Breakaway is a larger ship with approximately 1,200 more passengers.

I have been on two of NCLs smaller ships - and they both have two main dining rooms with basically the same menus. One is the big dining room, and another is smaller. They generally just open the big one for breakfast and lunch, and both are opened at dinner. The Breakaway has three main dining rooms.

The other free dining choices are very similar to Celebrity. NCL's O'Sheehans is probably the only one that is really different with pub style food. There is the buffet on both lines, the outdoor grill area and room service. Celebrity has the Aqua café (free with somewhat healthier choices), and I don't believe that NCL has anything like that.

I wouldn't base my cruise choice on the number of available restaurants.

I focused on your statement about the RCI 'WOW' factor and activities. We recently sailed Freedom of the Seas, after many, many Celebrity cruises. My 28 year old son, who loves Celebrity, said he would much rather sail on FOS. Much more to do on that ship. If you have a lot of sea days and if you like a lot of activities appropriate for 30 year olds, I suspect you may be a bit bored on Celebrity. If you like a little more upscale experience, and want to relax more than you want to party (not to say there isn't some:)) then you may want to try Celebrity. It really depends what you are looking for. I have not sailed the other ship you mention so can't compare those.

I think you and your friends will have fun on whatever ship you sail.

Chilling by the pool fine on celebrity. Just remember no rock climbing or wave/flow runner/riding thing. Once on the islands go adventurous on a excursion and enjoy the vibe of the ship.

As someone in her early 30's who does love Celebrity, I think "finding the party" really depends on when you sail and who you are with. I have been out at the clubs until 5am on Celebrity multiple times, but those have typically been on summer trips, winter break, or a 5 day cruise over a 3 day weekend. The calmest I have seen a Celebrity ship was on Summit a couple years ago, but simultaneously, I just wanted a relaxing vacation so I didn't go looking to party.