HAL Big Band TA

Knickearth

There was a time when every HAL trans-At was a Big Band cruise. Alas, those days are gone.

I had a fabulous Big Band cruise on my first crossing, but haven't seen a big band on a crossing since (I've taken several, with one more booked).

If a Big band crossing is important to you, take a look at Cunard.

What's a Big Band cruise? A lot of jazz? I really don't have a clue and Google is having a bad day telling me.

A Big Band cruise would feature music from the Big Band era (associated with jazz and swing). Benny Goodman, Tommy Dorsey, Glenn Miller, Guy Lombardo and others. My DH and I booked my parents on a Big Band cruise on the Mississippi Queen for their 50th anniversary- their favorite cruise of all time which featured the Glenn Miller Orchestra! This will get your toes tapping: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86YtJpS6ij0. The American Queen Steamboat Company may still offer Big Band cruises.

We thought that the Queen Mary 2 did a pretty good job providing Big Band Entertainment. When we did a crossing they had two ship's orchestras which they would put together for their 2 balls (held in the huge Ballroom). So we had 14 or 15 piece orchestra and they did a great job on many big band favorites. And with a Ballroom that can handle more then 100 dancers on the dance floor it was great. We noticed that Cunard is even doing a "Big Band Ball" cruise this coming October on the Queen Elizabeth.

As to HAL, there is no way they could even play decent Big Band music as they fired all their "brass" instrument players several years ago. If you want to do a good job with the Big Band Era you need to have a decent woodwind section and multiple brass musicians. It is tough to do a Tommy Dorsey or Glenn Miller number without a trombone.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

A Big Band cruise would feature music from the Big Band era (associated with jazz and swing). Benny Goodman, Tommy Dorsey, Glenn Miller, Guy Lombardo and others. My DH and I booked my parents on a Big Band cruise on the Mississippi Queen for their 50th anniversary- their favorite cruise of all time which featured the Glenn Miller Orchestra! This will get your toes tapping: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86YtJpS6ij0. The American Queen Steamboat Company may still offer Big Band cruises.

Thanks. That sounds cool (literally as well). It must be rather expensive though.

A Big Band cruise would feature music from the Big Band era (associated with jazz and swing).

A Big Band cruise features more than the music of that era, it also has a real ghost band in attendance.

My cruise had the Guy Lombardo Orchestra, but others have Glenn Miller Orchestra, Harry James Orchestra, etc.

They played around the Lido pool for two hours every sea day lunch time. They played for cocktail time, had a couple of show time performances, and played for a tea dansant. There were dance hosts in those days, and they never sat down. I could still dance in those days, and came home with my legs burning from all the exercise! It was wonderful.