Getaway Photo Review - Food Focus - Specialty Dining - Chef's Table - Viva Vino

megacruiser

Hello annietownsend,

Thanks for the compliment and I am delighted if you find it entertaining. In my experience, most megaships are very crowded around the main pool deck and, sorry to say, Getaway was noticeable worse then Epic in this regard, as it has a very small and enclosed main pool area and no additional pool in Spice H2O.

I suppose they build new ships higher and higher but unless they make the ship correspondingly wider, more passengers have to fit in to much the same amount of open deck space. This is why I was amazed that Oasis of the Seas that holds over 6,000 passengers felt less crowded to me than some vessels half that size. Of course it is extremely wide and has four good sized pools on the main pool deck.

You can also be aware of crowding at peak times in the evening when shows come out, or waiting for elevators. I honestly have felt more crowded on other ships because Freestyle and Specialty Dining tends to spread the passenger flow better.

Anyway if you are not in a suite, my number one recommendation is to buy the Vibe pass or even the Posh pass on Epic, although there were some negatives relating to noise from the band on Epic. Getaway also has the fantastic Waterfront area on which you can relax in uncrowded comfort day or night.

The big benefit of huge ships is there tends to be more entertainment on offer and generally more options of how to pass your time.

Kind regards

megacruiser

Even though it is older, that is why I love the Sun or Jewel Class. Don't want to feel super-crowded.

Thank you megacruiser for taking time away from your precious cruise on the Getaway! We are actually considering switching from a cruise on the Oasis to one on the Getaway. Having done them both, do you think we can have just as good of a time on the Getaway as we can on the Oasis?:confused: We can go from a Central Park Balcony to a Spa Mini Suite with a view of the ocean for the same price plus we would be gaining the UBP for the week which is considerable given that we do so enjoy trying lots of different frozen concoctions:D I am very concerned having not been on a Norwegian cruise for many years. We sailed on the Oasis once before and know what to expect there but I have been reading nothing but positive reviews about the Getaway. I really would appreciate your opinion:)

Following! Just like the Epic review, I feel we are in for a well written and fun adventure with you.

Hoping to sail Breakaway class soon. Will take notes on your findings. [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks to everyone for commenting and I will be responding to questions later, but first I feel I first have to push on and make some progress. I had forgotten just how long it takes to get photos uploaded and indexed to Photobucket...

DiningLunchDay2Taste-7366_zps94ce0fc8.jpg

So here is lunch taken in Taste. For some reason, on the two occasions I dined there I didn’t feel quite as well waited on. Probably a couple of minor things including a delay; but anyway I mainly stuck to Savor, where the hostess at the door quickly got to know I wanted to be seated on my own. Much as I love chatting to fellow-cruisers, I feel inhibited taking photos with others present, especially if manually focusing...

The decor is very similar in each of them; the Tropicana is however on a much grander scale when open in the evening. For those unsure, I can tell you the food in all three main dining rooms is now exactly the same. Years ago there were slight differences, one being more traditional and another more contemporary, but no longer and it all comes from the same kitchen.

I do have to say that whilst I feel breakfast may be a strong point for NCL, lunch in the dining room is not so great. I saw only two menus and the choice of mains is rather limited. On the other hand their buffet has a better selection than average, in my opinion. Of course the Dining Rooms are closed at lunchtimes on port days so I certainly got to use the buffet a fair bit, and got some snaps...

MenuLunch1apps-7369_zps0f2483dc.jpg

MenuLunch1main-7371_zps862fa6b2.jpg

As you can see the starters remain the same. I could have, and should have, had the Crab Salad again because it was really enjoyable, but for the sake of variety I went for the Roasted Tomato Soup.

Edited by megacruiser

Roasted Tomato Soup...

DiningLunchDay2Tastesoup-7374_zps8203f96e.jpg

Nothing inspiring here, although tomato soup is seldom exciting; and in the way that basil also often fails, in this case neither the small amount of pesto nor the crème fraiche could elevate this beyond the mundane. Still, even Heinz Cream of Tomato can be a comfort food when the mood is right and this soup did not fall short by comparison. So in short, it was okay.

Calamari Fritti...

DiningLunchDay3Calamari-7376_zpsde239a47.jpg

This was no mere U-Certificate calamari rings, but contained plenty of full-on R-rated tentacles that involved quite a bit of chewing. The batter could have been lighter and crisper but if you like squid it was passable and let’s face it this was, after all, lunch on a ship not a seafood restaurant on the French Riviera.

Fish and Chips...

DiningLunchDay2Tastefish-7383_zpsd14dd0ad.jpg

As you may know I had a problem with the so called “Atlantic Cod” on the Epic. Why don’t I learn from my mistakes? I thought I may have just been unlucky but this was so similar I would guess the fish is bought pre-battered and frozen. I strongly believe the fish is not Atlantic Cod, which is a white fish. Aside from the colour, the texture of the fish wasn’t good nor was the taste or the batter that was not at all crisp... I would avoid in future for sure.

Here is the inside...

DiningLunchDay2Tastefishcloseup-7384_zps8d56c510.jpg

Here is how the cod should look, courtesy of Cunard – bright white flesh...

DSCF3078-4_zps6c4a4e3e.jpg

Rose Water Oranges...

DiningLunchDay2Tasteorangepud-7388_zpsd114b669.jpg

Now I really enjoyed the dessert; the highlight of the meal. Simple I know but clean, light and refreshing. The delicate perfume from macerating the oranges in rose water was married with the bold crunch and flavour of crushed pistachios and ideally finished with the mixed berry sherbet. In some ways, too good for a lunch menu...

Edited by megacruiser

I do like crab and as I was torn between the two offerings, there was only one thing to do. No, not toss a coin; have both! :) They come in little bamboo type trays that lend a very natural feel to the presentation.

Crab Toasts...

Deck%208%20Waterfront%20Ocean%20Blue%20toasts-7671_zpsloejez5k.jpg

Jonah Crab Tostada...

Deck20820Waterfront20Ocean20Blue20Tostada20and20toasts-7670_zpscvidrkmv.jpg

Deck%208%20Waterfront%20Ocean%20Blue%20tostada%202-8381_zps7cx5w2eg.jpg

Deck%208%20Waterfront%20Ocean%20Blue%20toasts-7676_zpsk9cpmbki.jpg

The Crab Toasts had a smooth but intense flavour, with no sharpness in spite of the vinaigrette; the olives adding a rounded savouriness. Absolutely delicious, but quite a simple dish really. The Jonah Crab Tostada was quite different but even more delicious. Still very fresh-tasting, but much more forward and zingy; the mild jalapeno, lime and crème fraiche provided the perfect marriage of flavours to bring the crab to life and showcased perfectly on a crisp little tostada. The first was like upmarket crab on toast and the latter was inspired and showed a real flair for flavours.

Theatre%20Burn%20The%20Floor-7455_zps3epxfbqy.jpg

An afternoon siesta is a prerequisite for me on any cruise to ready myself for the night ahead. I would be going to the theatre before dinner at 7.30pm to see Burn the Floor. On paper it doesn’t really sound like something that would appeal greatly to me.

In fact it was a wonderful show, even if you are not that interested in ballroom dancing. It is very high energy with an extremely dynamic and loud backing music; a live drummer and percussionist perched high on each side of the stage add impact.

This is not the dancing seen performed by a typical dance troupe on a cruise ship; you could tell these were experts in the type of (predominantly) Latin dancing they performed; like the Tango, the Samba and the Pasa Doble. It is fast-paced with never a moment to even doubt whether you are enjoying it; and sensuality oozes from every pore of the stunning cast's very visible flesh. Top class...

Next time, Dinner at Le Bistro and response to those who commented or asked questions...

I wanted to check-in early to avail myself of one of the Vibe Beach Club passes that are limited in numbers and sold on a first-come first-served basis. My plan was to be at the pier for 9.30am but there was a delay waiting for a taxi, so it was just before 10am. The taxi showed $14 on the meter and took 10-15 minutes. Getaway uses two terminals so be aware you need to go to the correct one. Mine was Terminal C, presumably because my cabin was in the forward part of the ship. There were already 30 or 40 passengers waiting for security to open prior to checking in.

MiamiCruiseTerminal-_zps5e52413b.jpg

My Boarding Group was number 5 but I think the groups are quite small, so I was aboard very shortly after the boarding process started. First stop was reception for the Vibe Beach Club pass. It costs $79 per person or $299 for a large private cabana for two, of which there are only five and that price includes $100 in onboard credit; so in effect only $20 per person more. They are an absolute bargain and I recommend couples snap one up if they get to reception quickly enough.

Next on the list was a visit to Le Bistro where I was able to book the Chef’s Table. It only takes place once and is normally limited to the first 12 passengers and usually sells out on the first day. It is $99 and, as it transpired, probably the biggest bargain I have ever had on a cruise.

Then a visit to the Booking Office to check availability for the Illusionarium for the first night, second show, which was showing as full before I came away. They were able to book me in and there is a 20% discount on the first night only. For those who take the Ultimate Dining Package, the Illusionarium is free on the first night. I decided against the UDP on this trip for two main reasons. I planned to dine at Ocean Blue once or twice and it is not included and similarly the Chef’s Table. So it would be less expensive for me to just pay as I went along.

Quick question about chef's table. Being a non=drinker do you think that this dining experience alone would be worth the $99?

Once again I want to thank tawaik, bambione, angiem0217, sweetiekk, bruffyrasin, british lady, brendapap, jarr0618 and all those who have taken time to let me know they are folowing my review. It makes all the difference to know it's being well received.

Kind regards

megacruiser

Following. I loved your Epic review, and sailed her also as a solo cruiser this past December. Thanks so much for taking the time to write your reviews!!

Many thanks. Although Getaway has a more upmarket feel and certain things I love, like the Vibe and the Waterfront, I wouldn't rule out the Epic again. The entertainment was fantastic.

Reagrds

megacruiser

Following! We have our first NCL cruise booked on the Getaway in September. Celebrity is our favorite, hands down, but they don't sail the Caribbean in September....

Hello Helen,

Celebrity used to be my absolute favourite because I still feel it has the best overal MDR food of any of the mainstream cruise lines. I went on the Celebrity Constellation after my Oasis cruise last year and it was so bad I couldn't even bring myself to write a review. Ok it was only a 5 nighter but I sensed something was wrong when I boarded, champagne in hand, to find a DJ blasting out house music in the Atrium to welcome guests on board. Modern luxury? And all the annoying and intrusive background music everywhere that meets almost universal disapproval... I will sail another Solstice Class ship hopefully in the next year or two and hope they have improved.

My advice is not to look at where NCL is not as good but to focus on the things they do really well, like entertainment. Buy the UDP is my next strongest reommendation and of course a Vibe or Posh pass to escape the crowds on the pool deck. Also remember how much money you are saving...

Regards

megacruiser