Getaway Photo Review - Food Focus - Specialty Dining - Chef's Table - Viva Vino

megacruiser

Best review I've ever read! Since you started this review I've gone back and read each one you've written. I board the Getaway a week from Saturday and your review is getting me even more excited than I was before! Your photos are spectacular! Cannot wait to read the rest :)

Love your review!!! Sorry to say I won't be reading anymore of it.....I'm on my way to the airport!!! I will be on the Getaway saturday!! After reading your review and seeing all the great pics I feel like I made the right choice!:)

Wow!!!!! I don't know what you do for a living, but I hope it involves writing. Best review I have ever read, just like many others have said before me. I sail on the Getaway tomorrow, 2/28 and although I am a seasoned cruiser with 40+ cruises under my belt, I can't tell you how helpful this review has been. It always helps so much to read a particular ship's review. If you add the benefit of your writing style and the pictures, it's almost like you already know the ship before you sail it. I now know exactly what wine we'll be drinking and where we'll be dining! Thank you again!:):):):)

Sorry for the Photobucket problems... I didn’t delete or move anything after posting the links, so not sure what the issue is there. Also it has been very slow to navigate today so I am not sure I would take the Photobucket route if I were starting out again now from scratch. Problem is as soon as you stop subscribing; all photos disappear from past reviews.

I now want to finish my tour of Deck 8 with the interior venues. Apologies for the poor quality of some of the photos; my settings on the camera somehow got changed and the LCD screen is too small to immediately recognise colour errors. In order not to miss anything I will post them anyway. Starting aft and moving forward; then around both sides of the Atrium. I hope you are concentrating, because questions will be asked later... :D

Deck%208%20Plan%20Big-_zpsc5hww5ln.jpg

Entrance To Moderno (starboard) and Cagneys (port)...

Deck%208%20Moderno%20Cagneys%20Entrance-8836_zpsk0atrw65.jpg

Sitting area whilst waiting to be seated...

Deck%208%20Cagney%20Moderno%20arrival%20seating-8834_zps0qhvnljj.jpg

Prime Meridian Bar (midships) between Moderno and Cagneys...

Deck%208%20cagneys%20moderno%20prime-8811_zpspaydlwhv.jpg

Raw Bar on corner (starboard)...

Deck%208%20raw%20bar%20tradewinds-8858_zpswdt29jsw.jpg

Leading to Ocean Blue and Wasabi (starboard)...

Deck%208%20wasabi%20raw%20bar-8856_zpsrvosv8nu.jpg

Ocean Blue is on the small side and as it is open plan to the Atrium, no chance of a sophisticated ambiance...

Deck%208%20wasabi%20ocean%20blue-8857_zpsb2h6thgo.jpg

Across the Atrium is Sandbar (port) for spirits and tobacco then Sugarcane (port)...

Deck%208%20chand%20sandbr%20sugar%20cane-8861_zps3hi42pyk.jpg

Sugarcane Mojito Bar, glitzy and lively late on(port)...

Deck%208%20sugar%20in-8859_zps7w8p3kgo.jpg

Deck%208%20sugar%20in%20night-8641_zpsp5rm4gcf.jpg]

View across the Atrium; right of chandelier is Ocean Blue and The Raw Bar, just to the left, Wasabi...

Deck%208%20Chandelier%20to%20Pcen%20Blue%20Raw%20and%20Wasbai-8643_zpsbb0uyw9m.jpg

As you come to leave the Atrium port side is the Ice Bar - $20 for 2 drinks in a freezer...

Deck%208%20chand%20ice-_zpsoeteszha.jpg

On the starboard side, beside the cigar lounge is the Sunset Bar, upmarket but understated compared to Sugarcane ...

Deck%208%20inside%20Sunset%20Bar%20crop%20-7658_zpsx2nb3aw0.jpg

Leaving the Atrium heading towards The Grammy Experience (starboard) and La Cucina (port)...

Deck%208%20grammy%20passage%20from%20atrium-8863_zpsdo7rgphj.jpg

Edited by megacruiser

The Grammy Experience (starboard) with La Cucina (port) to the left...

Deck%208%20grammy%20passage%20forward-8866_zpsfp1uyzpf.jpg

Deck%208%20%20la%20cucina-8870_zps8rkxxmqp.jpg

Deck%208%20La%20Cucina%20inside%20pots-7659_zpsbocmz8df.jpg

Deck%208%20La%20Cucina%20inside%20pots%20angle-7662_zpsjosc83tu.jpg

Serious looking pizza oven...

Deck%208%20La%20Cucina%20inside%20pizza%20oven-7663_zps4umioiiu.jpg

Looking from La Cucina across to The Grammy Experience...

Deck%208%20La%20Cucina%20inside%20to%20Grammy-7667_zpswcepiali.jpg

Well that’s the first Deck Tour now finished. Thanks to all for your comments and questions; replies will follow in due course. Right now I am going to start working on Day 3, the highlight of which will be... food, including Ocean Blue for Dinner. Is it worth $39?

Edited by megacruiser

I love your photos, it's taking me back to our trip on the Breakaway. I have to ask what time were you taking the photos since everywhere looks deserted! You must have gotten up very early.

I also agree about the new MDR lunch menus. I am hard pressed to find something I like. I miss the old menus.

Looking forward to the rest of the review.

Thank you megacruiser for taking time away from your precious cruise on the Getaway! We are actually considering switching from a cruise on the Oasis to one on the Getaway. Having done them both, do you think we can have just as good of a time on the Getaway as we can on the Oasis?:confused: We can go from a Central Park Balcony to a Spa Mini Suite with a view of the ocean for the same price plus we would be gaining the UBP for the week which is considerable given that we do so enjoy trying lots of different frozen concoctions:D I am very concerned having not been on a Norwegian cruise for many years. We sailed on the Oasis once before and know what to expect there but I have been reading nothing but positive reviews about the Getaway. I really would appreciate your opinion:)

Ok you have put me on the spot here. Removing cost from the equation, and having done both, I would choose Oasis as it was the most amazing ship I have ever been on, including Quantum of the Seas. Next point, for me is that a sea view over a Central Park balcony would not push me to Getaway; if you had said Haven, that's a different story!

So what it comes down to is the substantial saving in cost by having the UBP included. Now that could be a deciding issue, because I found the alcohol prices very high on my recent Royal cruise. Pretty average wine is $12 for 150ml. They now add 18% service too. Fortunately I hardly bought any because I am entitled to free drinks from 5pm to 8.30pm as a Diamond member.

In answer to the question, can you have just as good a time on Getaway? I think you could depending on which daytime activities you are interested in. The other point is you have already sailed Oasis, so why not save some money and experience something different. Perhaps it will open up new options for the future. However, if you like relaxing on deck by day, budget for Vibe, because the main pool area is very limited on Getaway.

The Epic surpassed Oasis for entertainment; Getaway was, on balance, roughly on a par with Oasis; and Getaway has a great nigh time buzz about it. If food is important to you consider the UDP, which is a bargain.

Variety is the spice of life. If you choose Getaway, best focus on all the great things to enjoy not on any areas that are not as strong. Whatever you decide, have a fantastic time.

Kind regards

megacruiser

Following! Just like the Epic review, I feel we are in for a well written and fun adventure with you.

Hoping to sail Breakaway class soon. Will take notes on your findings. [emoji6]

Many thanks for your feedback.

Reagards

megacruiser

Following!

Thank you for such a wonderful review. I am trying to decide what ship to pick after our May Cruise.

Love the look of Vibe, I think I would be running to get that pass!

Many thanks. I genuinely feel that Vibe made a significant contribution to my enjoyment of the cruise.

Regards

megacruiser